_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  08:22:24 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to sort that out myself. Mail Art was what gave me the idea. I thought about how the farmgirls on this forum so readily participated in that kind of activity and others and I had also been doing some thinking about penpals. Then it just kind of turned into the buddy-system! And I think if we could assign 1 "mentor" to each set of 2-3 "buddies." Wouldn't that be really fun? I printed off this topic yesterday and I made a list of who was interested. I am going to post the list and ask for some volunteers for mentoring and assign gals together as buddies. I think that VintageChica's idea was an excellent one of the mentors having a blog with their examples posted. The only problem with that is not all the mentors would be able to blog. So, I thought that maybe VintageChica could help facilitate that. That is if the mentors would be interested. It would be just as easy to blog as it would be to post on here or e-mail each other. However, I want to encourage the "buddies" to communicate as often as possible.

My goal would be for the mentors to select one activity per month to teach about. My goal for the "buddies" would be to e-mail each other at least weekly to show their progress, share their success/failures, etc. But, I don't want to limit the buddy system to just that. I know some Farmgirls are already good friends and I really wanted to encourage more friendships to develop and this (I hope) would be a good way to make that happen. And I know that you guys can do this because you're all so very with it! It will be fun!

Of course, I'm open to other ideas. I try to follow the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple silly) method. ; 0) But, sometimes I'm not always successful at that.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile
There is a canning topic going on in the kitchen forum.

Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  10:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, I love this idea. Just those encouraging notes of "you can do it" and "it is worth the effort" are great to hear when we are covered with dirt from the garden, getting funny comments from friends who think that we are fanatical about healthy food, etc. I am part of a small organic group in my town. A friend suggested it, and we have been meeting for 3 years now. We tend to only meet in the summer when the kids can play outside. We have a group of 10 who come and encourage each other with healthy choices in food and lifestyle. I'm always open to mentoring and being mentored! There is so much to learn and to grow from.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  12:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That would be nice, I should do something similar here! What a great idea!

Don't EVER feel funny about living healthy! It's a good thing! Putting good things into your body and into the bodies of your families is a blessing!

: )

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  3:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Sounds really good. I like your plan.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile
I would love to get involved in this! This is a great idea Rebecca.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  01:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Rebecca,
Sounds good...I will keep watching for how everything will be set up, but I am here!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

momof2jrt
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Denise
grafton wv
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  04:08:08 AM  Show Profile
I would be interested...
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile
Okay, if I've skipped anyone let me know, and I know that you probably have lots more talents, but this is my inventory of you guys so far:

Here are some mentors and their skills:

Grace Gerber (superfine fiber artist)
VintageChica (blogger extraordinaire, digital photography, computer, gardening, greenhouse gardening, simple living, sewing, crocheting, plus other hobbies & talents)
Talitha aka Buttercup (honey farming, rabbits, scrapbooking, breadmaking, grinding wheat, vegetarianism, drying fruits & veggies, canning & freezing)
Celticheart (TBA)
Herbquilter aka Kristine (grinding grains, organic gardening, herbal everything, whole foods, ethnic cooking, frugality, food storage, sewing quilting, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, pigs, post partum doula, natural first aid, natural health, homeschooling, large family, genealogy)
Windypines aka Michelle (farming, handiwork, gardening, cooking & baking)
threebusybees aka Mandi (experience as chef/technical direction, "Green Living " Knitting, Organics)
Rebecca (natural childbirth, firsthand experience X4)
ThymeForEweFarm aka Robin (acre garden, chickens, ducks and turkeys. I put up a lot of vegetables between canning, dehydrating and cold cellar storage. I'm a market farmer)

And here are the people who would like to learn and which skills:

catscharm74 aka Heather (org farming, fences, greenhouses, animal pens, simple homemade meals fr/scratch)
yidberryyadee aka Karin (canning, & more)
threebusybees aka Mandi (wants to be great at all) : )
Buttercup aka Talitha (gardening, organic, raised beds, growing herbs, bantams, growing rice in the states, wheat, dairy cattle & all that that entails, dairy goats, guineas, horses, tractor or atv, orchards, bee keeping, draft animals, small donkeys, babydoll sheep, alpacas, sugar, Koi, exotic pets, endangered livestock, ducks, soap, paper, sewing) Oh! I'm exhausted just typing yours! LOL!!!!!
Herbquilter aka Kristine (knit, watercolor, digital camera, jewelry, cement benches & pots, blogging, learning to write e-newsletter)
and Mikki writes: in desperate need of mentoring!!!!
I would like to learn more about drying/canning/freezing food and herbs.
Gardening
Photography
greenhouse gardening
Mandi (organic gardening and companion planting, weaving,sewing, Making a rag Rug etc., livestock-chickens)
There are others who signed up, but these are the ones with specifics. If you want to add to it, let me know.

You can spur each other on! Mentors, my goal is one activity per month or more per each mentor! Please post on this forum when & what you're going to do so we will all know! Then either post to a different forum that is appropriate to your topic or blog about it.

I think blogging & digital camera stuff should be taught from the get-go and that way we can help mentors to get started!

Thanks to all of you for your participation!!!! You are great and this is going to be a wonderful thing. Almost like online classes for some! Let's get to it!

I'm going to get a topic started under Here's to Your Health. It's not exactly what people on this topic have requested to learn, but I'm willing to contribute my one skill to others on the Farmgirl forum in hopes that it encourages someone! It will be titled "My Natural Childbirth Experience."

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Mar 22 2007 3:00:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  09:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Mikki: in desperate need of mentoring!!!!
I would like to learn more about drying/canning/freezing food and herbs.
Gardening
Photography
greenhouse gardening
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  10:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca,

Thank you for getting this organized.
I think that blogging & digital camera skills are a priority for all of us to document what we do & share it better.

I am looking forward to your "Natural Childbirth Expericence"!!! I apprenticed as a midwife & am trained as a post partum doula & after having 6 c-sections, I had a natural homebirth with my last child. What a blessing!!!
My main focus of Herbal Momma is to empower "Momma's" everywhere to nuture the healer within them to take care of thier family's. Sorry to get off subject....

Let me know what help you need to get this GRAND Mentor PROJECT.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  12:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about how I can fit into this. I can't commit to blogging on a schedule because I don't know what my schedule is from day to day due to weather, farming, etc. But, I can answer emails and phone calls.

I have an acre garden, chickens, ducks and turkeys. I put up a lot of vegetables between canning, dehydrating and cold cellar storage. I'm a market farmer. If I can be helpful some where just let me know.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  12:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Robin, that's fine. I'm just asking for our group to try to get a good start. The best you can do is perfectly fine!! We will add you on to the list. And if you get to it that's great!

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  1:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,

What's a Farmgirl Connection Cultivator? Just noticed you had red starS on the members page. Tell us what that's about! : O)

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Mar 21 2007 2:44:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  3:14:45 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to figure out where I fit!! I do know how to: can- especially jam, jelly, salsa and veggies; keep a food storage and how to inventory and rotate one; organize and declutter; refinish furniture; build simple things- like cabinets and shelving; sew, etc.
But, here's where I need help: I had chickens and they were killed by something (Don't let your animal-hating husband take care of your chickens while you visit your sister). So how do you protect them? Organic gardening so that your veggies aren't eaten by every bug in the neighborhood. Convincing your family that changing lifestyles will actually not kill them.
And gaining the courage to make the leap into selling things that you make. I know people do it all the time, but I just cannot seem to get past that big hurdle of "I need to create a business."
So, I guess you decide where I should go, and I will happily share and absorb all that comes my way!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile
I will just put you in both spots.

I'm sorry about your chickens.

When I was growing up, we had a storage building that was storage on one side and the other side was the henhouse, and right out front of the henhouse there was a huge chicken coop. So, they had a warm inside part and then they could be outside and yet still protected.

Were your chickens loose when they got killed?

My friend has her chicken run all the way around her garden. It's called a chicken moat. It's low, like about 2 feet high. When she is out pulling weeds and working in her garden she lets her birds in to eat any of the bugs they can find. I will have to ask her if this keeps all the bugs away. Birds are really great helps for gardeners. Do you have bird feeders out? And water? Attract the birds and that will be some help.

Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, I'm with Robin on timing while running 2 home based businesses, but would love to help how I can. I can offer: flower farming, market vendor (flowers, herbs, and blueberries), business advice, encouragement for any area. We have 3 acres, 2 mini horses, and great friends who strive for natural/organic living. Would love to enhance: digital photo, computer presence for Forrester Farm, balance in all good things :)!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  07:08:52 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to join in. I can offer a mix of information...
cooking, growing some flowers, homeschooling,photography, a little of this and that.

Looking to learn about even better flower gardening,growing herbs,
and everything and anything.
I love learning and sharing what I've learned.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Mar 22 2007 07:09:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  07:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i would love to join in on this! i'm not sure what i have to offer, but i have been wanting some help starting my garden. we bought a couple of acres in charlotte, nc last year and i'm looking forward to having a nice garden this year, but i don't know what to plant and when. i would love to explore it organically. i also want to put in a cutting & kitchen garden off the back porch... in my mind it looks something like an old english garden... sort of overgrown with lots of flowers... my grandmother was a farmer, my mother, even though she moved to the city was definitely a farm girl but she's been gone for 13 years and i never had the patience when i was younger to learn this stuff. i'm desperate.. anyone in the NC area have any tips for me??
thanks!

Alison
'Be the change you want to see in the world' ~ Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Okay I will give this my best shot------Mumof3 asked how to protect chickens. I will post it in the barn yard buddies. Michele
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Rebecca you might want change my standing! I know alittle about alot. Just enough to get by and contibute. I was a chef in my other life so I can help out with technical questions. I would love to know more about livestock( I am watching the chicken thread), organic gardening and companion planting, weaving,sewing, Making a rag Rug etc. I can help out with "Green Living " Knitting, Organics. So sorry I was vague!

Mandi

Edited by - threebusybees on Mar 23 2007 05:39:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:07:43 AM  Show Profile
Sounds good!

I would be glad to start the blogging and digital photography projects. Where should I start the thread?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:12:32 AM  Show Profile
OK, can someone take us through the steps of blogging & we can get this mentor project going?

I'm even wondering if Farmgirl Mentoring should be another section in the forum. That way each mentor topic can be listed & posts directed to that listing, then it would be in the files for future reference in an organized fashion.

Just an idea...........

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:20:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Kristine, it's going to be such a broad subject it needs a "home alone", lol. I'm excited, this is going to be so encouraging and inspiring!!! Eren, when I grow up I wanna be like you! ;0) You know how to do everything that interests me.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Kristine! Mikki Jo, you crack me up. Thank you for the compliment, you just made my day. Come on over, we can have some coffee and chat.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Mentors Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page