_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Would anyone be interested in mentoring other farmgirl wanna-bes? Or even just paIring up and encouraging one another?

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Mar 21 2007 2:45:22 PM

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea Rebecca!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Count me in! We have a small group here that for years we supported each other. Now I am the only one left having a farm. I learned tons from the women around me and I love giving it back.
Let me know what, when, how and I will be there

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:23:38 AM  Show Profile
I figure we can just do little excerpts about ourselves, tell what our interests are and what skills we would like to share or be taught. Then we could just pair up! Simple.

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh my!!! You are reading my mind Rebecca. Awsome idea, count me in.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Here I go:

I am a mom of four, living in the suburbs, but I grew up around cattle, horses & chickens (we at one point had a hog). Also, my family had a vegetable garden. I loved riding bareback and going barefoot. I loved fishing and camping. I can do calligraphy, I can do watercolor, sketching, and pastels. I love Janet Oke books, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne of Green Gables and Jane Austen. I crochet and cross stitch crudely. I love decorating, reading, coffee, wine, tea. I would love to learn more about flower gardening, cooking, container gardening (herbs & veggies). I would like to be more motivated to eat healthy and prepare healthy meals for my family. I have a wok, a crockpot and a steamer. I'm a playful person and would love to buddy up with someone who enjoys life, reading and children.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Mar 16 2007 08:39:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I would love a mentor as I am just preparing to set out on my farmgirl life:

I want to learn about organic farming including what to grow and how to make it grow best, how to build my own fences, greenhouses, animal pens, etc. I also want to build a repetoire of simple, homemade meals, from scratch. I am trying to eliminate anything processed in my life. I will think of some later.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Sounds awesome! I would love to join in!
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  10:33:20 AM  Show Profile
This is very interesting, I'm going to have to think about this for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:08:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by catscharm74
I also want to build a repetoire of simple, homemade meals, from scratch. I am trying to eliminate anything processed in my life.

Yes, same here.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:30:54 PM  Show Profile
I will gladly help anyone I can. As I have asked plenty of questions, since I have joined in here. I know alittle bit of everything, and not much of anything. I think that is how that old saying went. I know farming, handiwork, gardening, cooking and baking. A general view of what I do. Michele
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  1:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh, also, I forgot about breadmaking (incl-grinding your own wheat). I would love to be mentored in that.

Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  1:16:34 PM  Show Profile
On another board and another post a few weeks ago ("My Farmgirl Wish..."), I mentioned something similar to this: That I wish you Farmgirls who have skills, everything from gardening and sewing to raising animals and kids could share your knowledge with those of us who need help!

I'd like to learn more about canning. And lots of other stuff, too.

Put my name on the list!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  7:16:26 PM  Show Profile
grinding wheat you want AUNT JENNY, she does it all the time.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  7:34:51 PM  Show Profile
this is a great idea

I think maybe those who have blogs and the ability to post photos could do the "step by step" tutorials...like what our very own Sunshine has been sharing on her blog about the paper piecing and crafts..but the same concept really...that way this forum doesn't get overloaded with the photos and so forth..just an idea.

but I'm certainly for this!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  10:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh this sounds wonderful! Count me in!

About me? I am a SAHM of four ages 6-13. I am learning towards my dream of a farmette that has all the modern comforts but is capable of running well without them. Right now I live in Japan but hope within the next 3-5 years to have my farmette up and going in the USA. I take classes online so I can complete a few degrees I hope to attain.

Things I know..not many mostly book knowledge when it comes to farmgirl skills. I grew up vegan-vegetarian (am now lacto-ovo-vegetarian) and my grandparents lived with us so I use to garden with my grandmother, make bread from scratch (we ground the wheat and all) dried many fruits and vegies, with my mother froze and canned many things from the time I remember and then when my oldest child was young I did alot of my own canning. I cook alot, bake pies, and still love to can but haven't for the past 6 yrs. I was homeschooled up to highschool and homeschool my oldest. I dabble in scrapbooking and other arts and crafts but nothing major. I lived on a farm as a child and had my own pony, then went to riding school for a few years, then got involved with belgians and draft horses, pulls and activities. I had Jersey Woolie rabbits for their wool for a short time as well. For a few years my father and I had a bee hive that we got wonderful honey from...but to be honest we really didnt know what we were doing, lol we just read a book and put on our gear and got the honey (only a certain amount) and watched the hive to make sure it was in a good spot and that was it..but the honey was wonderful! That is pretty much all.

What I would like to learn *taking a deep breath* More about gardening organic in raised beds, growing herbs for seasoning and tea, greenhouse gardening and subterrian greenhouses, woodstove and hearth cooking, care and everything involved with bantams for eggs/pets only, growing rice in the states, growing wheat for bread making, care and everything I need to know to have my own dairy cow(s) and bull (am leaning towards mini jersey at this point but am still very open minded to other breeds and sugestions), making my own cream, butter, cheese and yogurt, pros and cons of dairy goats and more about those, guineas and their care and pros and cons, Horses and best breeds for beginers and kids (or should I stick with ponies for a while?), tractor or atv for a small farm; pros and cons and recomandations, orchard care and planning, bee keeping and all I need and should know, and am very interested in farming with draft animals, mini donkeys, babydoll sheep and what can you use them for other then meat and pets...can you use their wool? Alpacas and is there really a market for their fiber?, making your own sugar/sweetners, Koi and their ponds etc, exotic pets, and any information from someone who owns a breed of livestock that is on the endangered/watched list, ducks for pets (I need to know ones that are docile and sweet they are for my son), making soap, making paper by recycling junk mail etc, and I would love to learn to sew well!

My interest? I love interior design, reading, writing, singing, homestead arts, shopping espcially in small boutiques, shops, flea-markets, antique shops, junk stores, and internationally. I love to travel, canoe, hike, can, cook, learn, design landscape, work with children and animals, do flower arranging, love to create and own my own business, spend hours in a library, Little House series, Sam Campbell series, learning about ways people use to live or still do in differnt countries and cultures, and just being outdoors (if it isn't hot and humid ). And that pretty much sums it up I guess!

I will be watching to see how this works..and think it is a wonderful idea!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Mar 17 2007 01:26:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  10:53:01 PM  Show Profile
WOW this is a great idea. I'm going to have to think on this because I am trying to simplify my life, but I have been blessed with many of the skills that have been mentioned and a desire to share them.

Even grinding grains, tonight we had cornbread from freshly ground corn & soft white wheat, chili from dry kidney & pinto beans with lots of fresh onions, garlic & different peppers (not hot) & a green salad of romaine lettuce, red pepper, grated carrots with fresh homemade ranch and don't
forget the low sugar apricot-pineapple jam made with low methoxyed pectin.
Oh heck!!!!

I organic garden, save seeds, do everything herbal (wild crafting, gardening, medicinal preparations, cooking, etc.), cook & bake using whole foods, mega cook,ethnic (healthy) cooking, raising a houseful frugally, food storage, preserve what's been grown or caught, sew, quilt, raise chickens, turkey's, rabbits & doing pigs for the first time this year, post partum doula, natural first aid, love children's & women's natural health, 19+ yrs. homeschooling 7 kiddo's (3 still at home), love genealogy and especially most of all my DH, children & grand-baby's.

I would like to learn to knit, watercolor paint, use my digital camera more, make jewerly, make cement benches & pots. I'm learning to write an e-newsletter for p\our business & love to work on the computer. No blog yet, but maybe someone could tell me how to do that.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  09:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I would be very interested in this idea too. Have many things to share and things I'd like to learn. I'll be back later. Now it's time to get ready for a Little Guy Wrestling Tournament.

Later.............

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  6:08:02 PM  Show Profile
I would be glad to help anyone with getting a blog up and running, digital photography, computer things, etc. for help with gardening from scratch, greenhouse gardening, simple living, sewing, crocheting, help. I love this so much!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening! I just wanted to say before I turn in for the night, that I'm so very happy that everyone seems to want to "play ball!" I'm brainstorming a few ideas and hopefully tomorrow evening I will have a chance to post a few comments on ways we can get the mentoring going & ways to buddy up.

Good night! Sleep tight! Don't let the bed bugs bite! : 0)

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  10:52:43 PM  Show Profile
I'll be excited to see what you all come up with along these lines, too. All of these topics are so wonderful, and I know you all have such a vast amount of experience and knowledge to share. I'm wondering if posting your specific questions here might get you all some rounded information from a bunch of farmgirls - you can have TONS of mentors! If the buddy system works better for you all, I sure would love to have you send me messages now and then as to what you're learning and how you're doing, or post about it here - I'm always SO excited to see real farmgirl friendships form!!! You gals are great!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  3:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey I just wanted to jump in and say I would love to participate! I know alittle about alot and am good at most things. I would love to know alot about alot and be great at them all. Anyone? LOL It sounds like fun and a great way to get to know some wonderful farmgirls. Count me in!
Mandi
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  08:30:28 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine gave me some information that I thought I would pass along:

Crunchy Cons by Rod Dreher

Weston A. Price Foundation website: http://www.westonaprice.org/

This woman has a major chemical sensitivity problem and has done a lot of research on safe alternatives to products we use in our homes; she also has recipes using safe sugar substitutes and I think some that do not use grains. http://www.dld123.com/index.html

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca,
This is a great site www.westonaprice.org. I have Nourishing Traditions Cookbook & try to follow it's concepts. It really is farm eating.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Well, let's just say I know alot about nothing. I am learning the farm. I will say that I get completely frustrated when in a grocery store, and have to buy anything. On more than one occasion, I have told hubby that my dream is to not need a store. Now, we buy very little meat, as we raised our own chicken, turkey and beef (this was done by the seat of our pants). I am asking for pigs this year, and plan on putting in a garden.
I would love to have ideas on becoming totally self sufficient, as I am tired of getting other people rich.
MJ

Oh, I do not worry about flour as a BIL works at a flour mill, and provides me with more than enough.

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/

Edited by - EmmJay on Mar 19 2007 1:37:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:35:17 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy the idea, and would like to know more. Seems like a lot of what goes on here is mentoring. So many of us have varying skills, and everyone seems happy to share if we only know in what way... How would you work out the idea of mentoring differently from what happens here already? (I'm encouraging discussion, not stiffling your good idea)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Mentors Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page