Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Organic weed and pest control Next Topic  

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  06:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I am very interested to read all of your ideas for keeping down weeds and pests in your gardens without the use of chemicals and poisons. Weeds seem to be my biggest problem usually. Also does anyone have any good ideas about how to rid my yard of mosquitos? They seem to have taken up residence in the yard, where the kids play of course. There is no standig water or anything so I don't quite know why they are there.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I actually live not far from a reservoir/swampy area, and for a while the mosquitos were so bad we couldn't be outside in the evening. So, we invested in one of those "mosquito magnets"-it gives off CO2, which attracts the little buggers, and then it sucks them in. The only downside is it needs to be plugged in, so it uses some electricity-not to much, though. We also have bat houses, bluebird house, purple martin houses, and they are supposed to eat them as well.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  2:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Mulch in your planting beds will help eliminate/reduce weeds, especially if you start the season weed-free. As far as the mosquitos, is your lawn low ground, and tend to be humid? That could be an issue. Have you tried citronella torches/candles around the perimeter of your outdoor space?

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I've never used anything on my gardens other then nature herself. Yes, I've lost plants, fruit & veggies but not really that much. I plant things that will attract insects that eat other insects. I always have tons of ladybugs in my garden to eat the bad bugs. Always have bees, birds & butterflies & thing just take care of themselves. The only thing I do once it's up & running Is weed. This year the entire yard will be garden & more work to be done getting it ready but even then I use no chemicals on the soil but use natural stuff like fishmeal, bonemeal etc. The hardest part is tilling & getting rid of all the grass. DO you compost??

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  06:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I try to compost outside but don't have much luck. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a worm bin and redworms for composting. I plan on tilling up alot of my yard this year too, I need to get on that since I will be doing it by hand.

Another HUGE problem I have is starlings. They have already started taking up residence in my garage. They break off my plants and I just want to beat them with a tennis racquet! Any ideas?

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  05:45:44 AM  Show Profile
the only thing I read somewhere about keeping them & other unwanted birds out is to either put up a scarecrow OR unwanted CD's hung on thread, they say the reflection bothers them & keeps them out. I don't really know but I would try it if it were me.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  06:16:18 AM  Show Profile
Something you can use to keeps weeds down is a product called CONCERN. It corn gluten and it is natural. You have to weed first then scatter the Concern, It is small pellets,work it in only at the top of your soil. What it does is stop germanation of the weeds. It is not poison or anything nasty. It works. Marybeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Organic weed and pest control Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page