Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Can you container plant a raspberry plant?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Can you container plant a raspberry plant? Next Topic  

inthedeepwoods
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Denita

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  8:46:09 PM  Show Profile
I've been given 4 raspberry plants. There is no soil in our yard. All planting has to be done in containers. How do I go about this with raspberries? Can you advise?

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  10:48:31 PM  Show Profile
big whiskey barrels, they'll do fine......... jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

inthedeepwoods
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Denita

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  05:31:25 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, ok but are we talking a whole barrel or would a half barrel suffice? Would I have to have that much height for the roots? Also, one barrel per plant or would it be possible to stick two together? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  07:37:37 AM  Show Profile
you can container just about anything, trust me. I did it for years w/ a small yard & a septic tank, I still container ALL my veggies. All my flowers are in ground but veggies in containers & there isn't much I havent grown. There are so many great things to use for container gardening & it gives your garden great interest. My herbs I grow out front in the yard & in containers. To give you an idea of the many things you can grow in containers, I'll list a few that I have grown w/ great yields. TOMATOES, small & large in galvinized buckets. PEPPERS, in a container that someone threw out because it yellowed. I washed it well & painted it. LETTUCE (3 kinds) in a little red wagon. RADISHES in a reg. container. PEAS, CARROTS, BEANS, the list goes on & ON. If you have bad soil or for whatever reason, you can grow anything in a container especially for a season.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile
deanne, half whiskey barrels I would say! I would just make sure they have root room and you keep them cooler, I don't know where you live! In alaska I container plant alot because it is so cool at night, some things need to be brought in. I had raspberries in containers for a long while and then moved them finally into soil. It was too dark for them where I planted. Moved them last fall, nearly lost them from this worm/caterpillar that just devoured the leaves. We finally figured out just to hand pick off the critters! They did better before I planted them in the ground!!

I agree with Michele about planting anything in containers, we are big fans, cuz the moose eat everything in the ground here..... My lettuce starts are up in my bedroom window with lights right now. They will go into planters on the upstairs porch when the snow finally breaks (hopefully by May). We have citrus trees in our upstairs in pots as well! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Can you container plant a raspberry plant? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page