happyhippie
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Cindy
gresham oregon
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  8:05:06 PM  Show Profile
I have pneumonia and I don't want to feel this bad again. My voice is just starting to come back, it's been gone for five days - no jokes my husband and sons have that covered. I don't want to eat which means I've really been sick. I'm feeling well enough to get on the web a bit. but I tell ya this stinks. What do I need to do to build up whatever I've broken down with this and who knows what the antibiotics will do. So ladies I come to you what do you do to keep well. I'm not one who gets sick but when I do watch out it usually knocks me out but this is the first time with pneumonia. So here I am laying around, not reading because I can't concentrate, or stitching or even cleaning. And of all days to have the weather subside today but I can't go out and garden in it I know the weeds are laughting at me. Here in Oregon at this time of year if you have a day without rain you jump at the chance make use of it. I'd appriciate any wise words. thanks.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  8:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy...Oh I sure feel for you with the pneumonia. I tend to get it easily and it really knocks you down for awhile. After the antibiotics I am careful to eat yogurt with live cultures for at least a few days to help get my stomach back working right.
I have been really being careful to wash my hands alot and have been taking airborne this winter..I substitute at an elementary school....and havn't been sick in awhile. At least not anything more than a short thing.
I sure hope you feel better really soon. It will be fun to get to know you here!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  8:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Cindy..welcome to the farm.
So sorry to read that you have been ill..you sound like me..I hardly ever get sick either(knock on wood)..but when I do..it's usually a doozy!
I'd say take the yogurt with live cultures and also an acidolpholus tablet right along with taking the antibiotic and continue to do so for up to 2 weeks after the antibiotic, because sometimes those antibiotics can have side effects like nauseau,diarrhea,gas,bloating, etc. I know Aunt Jenny mentioned a few days, but sometimes those antibiotics pack a wallop for about a week after you stop taking them.
I always try to get my husband to take the acidolphulus for a bit longer than just a few days, because everytime he takes an extended antibiotic..it really sends his stomach,intestines haywire.
If your stomach is nauseauous feeling..good old peppermint tea works wonders.
And sometimes sipping chicken broth is good too, a bit plain, but it does help.

I wish you the absolute best and hope you are on the mend really soon!..and welcome to the Farm!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  11:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy from another westcoaster who can totally relate about getting outside every second that it's not raining!!
BUT...you need to give in to it and just rest. The cleaning will wait for you and so will the weeds...that you can be sure of! Best to get back on your feet feeling healed and well. And I agree with Jenny and Tina about the yogurt and acidophyllis. It's your friend when you're on antibiotics!
Take care of yourself,
Diane
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  06:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the farm Cindy! Pneumonia can be an ugly beast. Absolutely agree with the others about eating yogurt or taking acidolphus. Antibiotics kill good things along with the bad and that is why they wreak havoc on your digestive tract. Be sure to drink drink drink fluids. That will keep your mucous and secretions thin so they are easier to get out. I know it probably hurts and you've more than likely coughed until you can't stand it, but try to deep breathe and cough every couple of hours-- this is very important to keep secretions from pooling in certain areas of your lungs. Take 10 deep breaths as big as you can, nice and slow then cough afterwords. That will help move out the infection and also help to get some fresh oxygen behind it. Taking garlic is a wonderful natural antibiotic too, 2 cloves a day...there are many awesome affects of garlic. Above all be sure to get plenty of rest. Let your body heal before you jump back into your regular routine. I hope you are feeling well very soon.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  11:22:38 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,
Welcome. So sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. I can only ditto what the others have said and hope that you feel much better soon.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  12:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy! So sorry you've been so sick. I always make homemade chicken soup, full of garlic, onions, cayenne pepper, and a bit of tabasco sauce. But if it's me who's sick, I usually feel to bad to be cooking so I dr. up some store bought chicken soup. Really helps a lot.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm another one of those people who are usually healthy, but I had pneumonia twice in 3 years. Make sure you rest a lot-it takes awhile to really get over it, and until then you are vulnerable to other germs and bugs. Also, after I had it the second time, my Dr. suggested I get the vaccine-its good for 10 years.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy. Sorry you have been sick. I ditto the suggestion for getting the vaccine. My mother has COPD and is very vulnerable to pnuemonia and after she had the vaccine she rarely gets it anymore. Even her colds are milder. Hubby has a bad heart and he recently took the vaccine and hasnt had a cold or anything even with living in the same house as me and I had a pretty bad cold that lasted for 2 weeks (and counting).

Shelle :>

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I had pneumonia over Christmas and New Years - absolutely awful. And the antibiotics, mixed with an already sad immune system damaged from several months of stress, did a lot of ill to me that has me on that special diet. SO. Here is what I learned:

You want refrigerated acidophilus cultures. Take 2 a day.
For your immune system, take Pao d'Arco - it also comes in tea form.
Garlic is awesome.
Avoid anything yeast can eat off of for a couple of weeks after you are off the antibiotics. So, no sugar, no white flour, reduce even the whole wheat flour, no caffiene, no alcohol.

Airborne is good stuff - take it when you are starting to feel bad, it does wonders!
Go to Top of Page

happyhippie
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Cindy
gresham oregon
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  8:22:43 PM  Show Profile
It's me again thank you so very much for the wonderful advice I knew I could count on a farm girl. I'm feeling much better - I've been taking it easy for the last few weeks. Went to visit my MIL and she took care of me all I needed to do was make my bed - it was wonderful. Now today I did get to work outside just for a bit. Thanks for the yogurt tips and I will start the garlic tomorrow. This place is just full of wonderful gals. thanks again cindy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  8:24:50 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad you are feeling better!! It takes awhile to feel 100% again so take it easy!! That is so nice that your MIL took care of you. What a treat to have such a sweetie around.
Take care!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  04:36:49 AM  Show Profile
welcome Cindy & hoping for a very fast recovery.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic PNEUMONIA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page