Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What are you putting in your garden?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What are you putting in your garden? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  10:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have limited space at this point so I am going to plant:

Sunflowers and tomatoes as a privacy hedge type thing

Next to the house I am planting cabbage, carrots, squash, egg plant, lettuce, probably some peas. I haven't decided about onions yet and I think I will do strawberries as a border.

What are you going to plant?

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  11:30:21 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea for your hedge Alyssa, sounds like a great idea.

Actually I was just sitting here looking over my seed order. It always gets me really motivated to get going, as spring is here. Today we got about half the cover on the big greenhouse replaced before it started to pour rain on us. It's one of those "must do" jobs, and the weather just won't cooperate!
This year I'll be planting:
Beans: Yellow, Green, Edamane Soy, Scarlet Runner & Broad Windsor
Swiss Chard: Perpetual & Bright Lights
Broccoli - 2 kinds
Carrots - regular & purple haze
Cauliflower - cheddar & violet queen
Eggplant
Onions: yellow keeper, red salad, green bunching
Peas - 2 kinds
Peppers - 4 kinds
Pumpkins - 2 kinds
Spinach - regular & New Zealand
Tomatoes - 4 kinds
Pak Choy & Joi Choi
Cabbage
Cukes
Kale & Leeks
Mizuna
Lettuce - 6 kinds
Beets & Radishes
Rutabagas & Potatoes
Squash - 8 varieties

I also have a variety of herbs and cutting flowers that I grow. I think I have my work cut out for me...every year I say I'm going to scale back and every year I do it again!
I can't wait for the taste of that first, sun-ripened tomato again.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  07:11:03 AM  Show Profile
im still in the planning stage because this year I WONT have a lawn, it's going to be ALL GARDEN!! I'll have veggies, flowers & herbs but it will take up the entire yard. Can't wait to plant.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  11:19:43 AM  Show Profile
My MIL and I just talked it out yesterday. We didn;t do a garden last year but are going to try a small one this year. We are going to do Tomatoes, hot peppers and bell peppers. Yellow squash and zuccinni and a selection of herbs. I am thinking dill, parsley, basil and cilantro. I always have a rosemary bush and I have my lavender as well. I love veggies but I am not much of a salad person so probably wont grow any lettuce.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Diane, that sounds like a great garden! I have a couple questions for a fellow west coaster- What types of tomatoes and peppers are you planting? And do you plant them in a special spot (in the greenhouse??) I've read that peppers and tomatoes (peppers especially) really don't do so good out here because the weather. I've never had much luck with my tomatoes that's for sure.. Are there any secrets you can passs on

ps. The weather definitly has not been cooperating - it's pouring here, and my basement's become a wading pool! Eep!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Let's see..I'm looking in my seed basket as I type...

I am planting:
black eyed peas
sweet peas
potatoes
sweet potatoes
broccoli
2 kinds of corn
green beans
onions
tomatoes in pots
herbs in pots
hot peppers in pots

I think that's it...I do have a lot of new heirloom Sweet Pea flowers to plant as well. Looking VERY forward to that!

I just cleaned out the last of the Rose of Sharon--big ol' bruise on my bum from pulling to hard on the root of one, and falling backward onto my shovel, but they're GONE, and now begins the plotting of the raised bed. Get my lumber this week and build this weekend and put soil in, too. Can't Wait--just hope that stuff actually grows :)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  4:55:04 PM  Show Profile
I always plant a little bit of everything but I really go crazy with the tomatoes and peppers. I like a big patch of mixed salad greens too..I do the cut and come again kind of harvesting and if the weather is right I get salads all summer. I have been just craving a fresh garden tomato!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  5:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh geez Jonni, it makes me want to jump around and holler envisioning you falling on your shovel...OUCH!!! Oh boy I bet that hurt!

Meggie - for peppers - "Super Heavyweight" from T&T Seeds in Winnipeg. It is a never fail, excellent thick walled pepper and they really do grow huge! I also grow jalapenos "Mucho Nacho", an Aruba that is really prolific and this year I'm trying a mixed colored pepper variety from William Dam. Problem is, we always seem to eat or sell them before they get a chance to turn color! Here is one of the Super Heavyweight next to a quart sealer!

For tomatoes, I am growing a beefsteak variety called "Big Beef". It seems to be fairly blight resistant and grows huge tomatoes that are nice and round so very little waste. I'm also trying one this year called "Stupice" as it's supposed to be really early and still taste good. So far any early varieties I have tried are tasteless, so we'll try this one. I'm also growing "Bonnie Best" to please my Mom who keeps hounding me to try it...lol. Lastly, I'm growing a paste called Viva Italia which is great for canning and salsa.

My biggest problem, as is probably yours, is blight with our cool, damp coastal evenings, so I do grow in a greenhouse. I just can't grow tomatoes outside here. I have seen some people grow them under a plastic "roof", suspended over the plants. It does help to keep the dew and rain off of them. Didn't work very well for me though. Each plant gets a big shovel full of rotted chicken manure when I plant and then a couple of times through the summer they'll get a dose of organic fish fertilizer. The only thing I'm really careful about is never letting them dry out completely...tomatoes like lots and lots of water.

Here's my tomato house. Aunt Jenny - that ripe one there is for you! haha

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  6:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm getting so excited about planting-we've already started the tomato seeds! We are planting-

Spinich, lettuces, swiss chards (a few kinds of each)
Lots o' tomatos AND lots of garlic
Summer squashes, cucumbers
Green peppers
Yellow & Green Beans
Winter squash, pumpkins
Carrots, radishes, and parsnips
Oh, and some gourds-this year I'm trying the huge "birdhouse" gourds-apparently, you can dry them and turn them into birdhouses and such. I've never done it, but thought I'd give it a try!

I also have an herb garden "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" Plus, lavender, dill, basil, mints, chives, probably some I'm forgetting.

I also started some flower seeds.

Yikes, I've got a lot of work to do!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Max
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Maxine
Derwood MD
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  04:51:13 AM  Show Profile
I grew the Birdhouse Gourds twice. The first time I put them in the basement - cool dry place and they molded. Last year I picked them and set them on the front porch - then forgot about them. But it worked. They dried all by themselves. I have them stowed nicely in the garage to drill the holes for birdhouses and hang them up. I read somewhere I could paint them, and I'm considering it - with environmentally safe paing of course. Some paints could harm the birds. :-) Be warned - the vines took over! But I loved it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  10:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Every spring my bedroom is transformed into a seed starting station. 16 flats lined up along the wall that has the baseboard heat. My munchkins and I just planted everything last weekend. Everything is popping up already - even the Bells of Ireland, which can take forever to germinate! I just moved everything to our handy light station that my husband made out of the old doors that we replaced when we moved into our house.

This year each of my children will get a raised bed in our garden to call their own. Those beds will have cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and anything else that they desire.

The rest of the garden will be flowers, flowers, some herbs, and more flowers.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Maxine it's okay if your gourds mold! As long as they don't go soft and squishy, the mold is only on the outer "skin". You can just scrub it off (and I would use a mask). The mold will mottle the surface, but it looks fantastic if you stain and varnish them. I will post a couple of the gourds my daughter has made as soon as I figure out how to use her new camera!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh I get so excited reading all of your lists! Sounds wonderful! If I knew where we will settle I would have my garden all planned long before I got there! There is nothing better to me then vine ripe tomatoes and garden grown carrots and green beans and corn and....*sigh* oh dear now I am starved! I wish you all the very best and may your gardens grow beautifully!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was just reading the backs of some of my seed packets. I can't believe how much space some of these plants say they need! I am not sure if I got the dimensions right on my picture because I was just eye-balling it, but I think this might be all I can get into my garden right now and I am going to have to plant along the back fence (which I wasn't planning on) Oh well. It will be great to have a garden again! Tell me what you ladies think. The white space that has my garden key will be lawn for Sky to play in and to enjoy Barbecues and such :)

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:50:28 PM  Show Profile
Ours is a market garden so we grow alot
We went from 13 acres (alot of woods to ) to 70 acres and alot more field space so we will be able to plant more. First we planted last fall more garlic than we have ever planted, we added several varieties also. We also planted shallots last fall.

Already planted in the field are sugar snaps and snow peas. I have also planted lettuce kale collards, beets carrots, cilantro, radishes, kohlrabi, arugala, spinach, bok choy, choy sum, Fingerling potatoes and one red early type, I plan to plant 3 other types of potatoes in the next few weeks to help stagger harvest time. Broccoli, cabbage, Snap beans (under cover) as well as a few tomatoes under hoops. I plan to plant some Zephyr summer squash under hoops soon. We just got our asparagus crowns Friday so they will go in the ground early this week. We have cut about 150 logs for mushrooms and plan on cutting down a few more trees to have 200 new logs in all to inoculate, most will be shiitake but we plan to try a few other types that grow on logs. (We have 120 logs from the past 2 years that will produce mushrooms this spring and summer)
To be seeded in the field soon will be Swiss chard and some annual herbs and flowers. We also will sow a field in corn in mid April. Also in Mid April-early May we will plant Pumpkins, winter squash, watermelons and cantaloupe (in fields that are new to us but were previous tobacco fields)
Also to be planted around may 1 we will plant cokes, pole beans, yard long beans and trobochino squash on trellises.
We will have continuous plantings of summer squash and some other vegetables mentioned.
Under lights right now I have several varieties of basil and other herbs. Several flats of hot and sweet peppers several flats of tomatoes and will be starting to more sets of tomatoes (lots of varieties). I have several varieties of eggplants also. I have several flats of okra started. All these plants will go outside in the small-unheated greenhouse then will be planted outside around May 1st
I have plans to plant a few other things like Brussels sprouts , fennel, black eye peas, and salsify.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Garliclady!

That is really impressive. I am jealous! That sounds like a wonderful set up. You have a beautiful farm (I peeked at you website)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Max
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Maxine
Derwood MD
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  4:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I don't know about your particular typed of pepper, but when I plant green peppers they have to be close to each other to cross pollinate. You might want to move them closer together? Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  11:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have never grown peppers before, but Doug has so I will get his input. The seed packet has them pretty spread out, but I of course want them to to pollinate. I would be happier if I could plant things a bit closer together so I can fit in some more items...like peas...

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:20:01 PM  Show Profile
How fun, what a garden all of us put together represent.
This year I've started: tomatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, birdhouse gourds, cilantro, cucumbers, delicata squash, zucchini, red onion, walking onion, garlic, bok choi, spinach, variety of lettuces, and I've got a few waiting: sugar peas, green beans, brussels sprouts, sweet and ornamental corn, and flowers of all sorts.

I have a potted meyer lemon tree that just began flowering again. I love the scent of lemon blossoms, and the lemons are so nice too, a real treat here in eastern Washington!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  3:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Grr- I can't tell if my garden has my seedlings popping up of if they are weed seedlings. I guess I am going to have to let them grow for a bit until the show me what plant they are! lol I wish my seedlings were a little more distincive than the classic two leaf variety!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile
For three weeks after planting the cool weather crops, there was no rain... so we'll see what comes up. We planted garlic last fall, then this spring added shallots, beets, turnips, cutting salad lettuces, arugula, wintercress, asian stir fry greens, sugar snap peas, 6 blueberry plants. To come are corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, sunflowers, collards, summer squash, and butternut and acorn squash, cow peas (for the chickens and cover crop), basil, &Italian parsley. I also ordered a new (hardy) rosemary, more sage, two more oregano, and have tarragon and lemon verbena to pot up. DH likes to hoe, LOL.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  09:09:45 AM  Show Profile
How's gardening going/growing? DH asked me so nicely last night to stop buying trees. He was helping me water the new orchard, vinyard, and berry patch. This week we planted cherries, plum, peach, apricot, a fir, and a birch; 30 grapes, and black currants. Today I'll get the kitchen garden planted in the ground...the pumpkins and cukes have buds...never had this happen on indoor starts, hope it goes okay.

Alee...if only the weeds would carry little signs. Good news is that they should still be tender enough once you identify them to pluck out and bury or compost. :) Congratulations with your best growing project! Cute cute cute!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  2:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought here, if any of you have chickens, they love extra garden produce. I usually plant a whole package of zucchini, I shred and freeze some, and the chickens get the bulk. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  2:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am pretty sure my peas are coming up great. Still waiting for the cabbage, lettuce, and carrots to make an appearance. I have a feeling I am going to have to re-plant. That isn't a horrible proposition- but destroying all the weedy seedlings is.

I am thinking of killing the grass and weeds immediatly in front of my garden. I think I once read that Vinegar works great as a weed-killer. Anyone ever tried this?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile
So far I have put in peas, spinach, endive, mustard, carrots, red leaf lettuce, spanish onions... all the early stuff. That was a week ago. And I'm currently looking out the window and watching the snow fly!!! ya 3" on the ground with another 3 in the forcast. Haven't had sustained freezing temp like this since 1939. I'm a little nervous.... anyone think they will survive?

In His presence
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile
I got all excited yesterday because it was the high 70's here and they said that today was going to be around the low 70's partially sunny and then rain tonight. So last night after work I went to the local Freddie's (kinda like a Wal-Mart, only regional) and got a new glazed strawberry pot, some lettuce starts, potting soil to mix with some compost from my garden, some plants for my hanging baskets, etc. Thought I would turn over the veggie garden area today, prune my raspberries, plant the strawberry pot, etc. I woke up and it was pouring and it has rained almost all day until now. I did get out for an hour between rain storms and plant some of my stuff in the hanging pots - but didn't even get close to what I wanted to do.

I already have tomatoes started - they are still quite small and have just started getting their second leaves - I have bonnie girls, golden jubilees and then bought a seed pack of mixed heirlooms - so those will be the surprise tomatoes.

Going to plant my head lettuce starts, will do green beans, some sunflowers, onions, potatoes and either cucumbers or zucchini. Trying something a bit new this year - I have a small area for the veggies, so to maximize some space - moving the few strawberries I have into a strawberry pot - this way the rhubarb has plenty of room, along with the artichoke. Then I am purchasing a large glazed round pot to grow the cucumber/or zucchini in - leaving the rest of the space for the other veggies. Since there only two of us, this hopefully will be enough stuff. Oh we also have two blueberry bushes that look like they should yield a good crop this year.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What are you putting in your garden? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page