Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any tips on planting leeks? Once I heard there was some way you can minimize have less dirt between the layers. Any help would be appreciated. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:33:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure on that one - I grew leeks last year, and they worked really well, but they did have dirt between the layers. I'd be interested in this one, too!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  6:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
can you grow leeks anywhere? i'm in NC and i guess i have always thought that the only things that grew in our area were things that my grandparents grew... and never knew what a leek was until i was in my 20's... is NC a good climate for leeks, onions & garlic?

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  06:02:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the process of planting mine now. I use a transplanting tool to make the hole. The hole should be deep enough to cover all but the top inch of the plant. Drop the plant in and water it in. The hole will eventually fill in by itself when you water.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Leeks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page