Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Questions about lasagna gardens and raised beds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Questions about lasagna gardens and raised beds Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile
I read old threads on these subjects and have a few questions.

1. What exactly is lasagna gardening? Is it the method of putting the newspaper down with organice material and soil on top?

2. Everything I read about this where it talks about getting started begins with the gardener laying down the newspaper, etc., in the fall. I wasn't able to do this in the fall because of the construction trucks coming & going. How can I start now?

3. I want to do raised bed and am planning a big garden. I can't afford to buy lots of top soil and our soil is very clay-ish. Should I do regular gardening (rows, tilling, etc.) this year and then start the other methods in the Fall?

All input is really appreciated. What worked for you, what didn't, etc.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile
I can answer question #3. Forget "regular" gardening, you're onto something with the raised beds. You're going to conserve moisture, improve the soil and lessen pest problems with a raised bed. Instead of trucking in loads of top soil, you can do two things to build the beds. In between the beds, dig down about 6 inches to create paths, and move this soil into your beds to raise them up. If you don't want dirt paths, you can infill with gravel, mulch, or even lay attractive brick or stone paths if you're beds will be permanent. To further raise the beds and improve the soil, cover everything with a thick layer of compost (if you don't have it available on your place, you can usually get it for free or a nominal price from farmers).

And if you don't have a compost pile, start one now. If the fastest and most organic way of soil improvement.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  6:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Amanda,
The suggestion of digging lower between rows makes perfect sense!! We were planning to put hay down between the rows, so we'll dig, move the dirt, then put down the hay.

I started the compost pile the evening the last construction truck left and we marked off where we were going to put the garden. I wanted the compost pile right by the garden. A good friend who does raised beds said he only does a true compost pile during the spring, summer, and early fall; he said once he's done harvesting he puts his compost pile stuff directly on his garden, sort of divvying it out over the rows. I guess that would work, but right now I can't think that far ahead.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Patti -- I would suggest that you maybe start with a few raised beds this year, plant in the ground in addition, then add beds each year. Once you garden in raised beds you'll never go back. I was reading an article in my Hobby Farms magazine that suggested building the beds in the Fall, putting down cardboard in the beds to smother the weeds, then start filling them with material to let it compost over the winter.

That is basically what Lasagna gardening is -- layering the beds with organic matter and then letting it compost.

Last Spring we built 8 4' x 4' beds, put down newspaper, and filled with soil mix from the garden center. We didn't dig anything, just put the frames down on the grass and it worked great. Missy is going to put down cardboard between the beds and put straw on top of that so she won't have to mow between the beds.

Get the book Lasagna Gardening from the library if you don't already have it. It is full of lots of ideas.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  4:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the explanation of what lasagna gardening is and for sharing what you do. My library was closed this weekend for inservice, so I'll look for that book tomorrow when I'm back in town.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile
I would also suggest that when you build the beds you do them 12" deep. That way you'll have depth for most everything.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patti,
Great and timely topic. I just posted some info on my blog about square foot gardening.
I have a book by Mel Bartholemew (sp?) That is the way we have done it for a while now and it is the best way for us. We bought some good topsoil and mulch from a place down the road. Cost $30 for enough to fill 3-4X4X12 gardens.
Also go to squarefootgarden.com You will get some great info there.
Good luck!
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  8:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thank You Patti for this post and for everyones input. All our gardens when I grew up with my grandmother were in the ground except for our strawberries and potatoe tire mounds so I really dont know much about them but wanted raised garden beds because I like the neatness of the look and I read alot that made them sound like they work well...so I am thrilled to hear from those of you that have them positive comments and Patti, I can't wait to hear how yours turn out! Do drop me an e-mail and let me know!
Hugz to All!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Questions about lasagna gardens and raised beds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page