Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 PBS- Dr. Christiane Northrup's new program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic PBS- Dr. Christiane Northrup's new program Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I had the pleasure of watching her new program called "Menopause and Beyond" last night on my local PBS station, part of their spring fund raising drive.

I highly recommend this program to all women, as she covers from everything (very quick highlights) from perimenopause through to the beyond part. I think I'm going to get the DVD to share with my daughter because being informed is so much better than going blindly in the night.

Plus, she's an entertaining woman! Watch for it, girls!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile
I caught it and made dh watch it too. When she was describing some of the signs of perimenopause, he turned to me and said "She's not telling me anything I haven't been living with for the past year..."
OH!Where is the big stick to hit that man with? Actually we both found it very informative and learned ALOT we didn't have a clue about! Since my Mom only lived to 47 I don't have her experiences to know about how our family travels through this stage and all my MIL says is "One day my period stopped and that was it!" This past year it has been decidedly different for me although I think changes started shortly after I stopped nursing many years ago. I am definitely beginning the journey and glad to have this funny, compassionate and knowledgeable woman to tell me I'm not loosing my mind!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  07:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bramble,
Her Wisdom of Menopause book is very informative, too. I have the out-of-print edition, and I understand the revised edition has alot more good info in it. You might want to get that book for a solid, accessible reference.

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  08:01:34 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,

So, I'm 30 and this summer I will wean my last child I'll be through with nursing for ever. How did you change? How old were you when you stopped nursing? Do your boobs go back to normal?

A lady at our church that has gone through menopause says she feels more even-keeled and energetic. She doesn't need as much sleep at night. Is she just lucky? Or does that happen to a lot of women?

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  08:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I bought the book also, very great reference, as well as Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book. it's important to get all the facts straight, isn't it. jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  10:33:14 AM  Show Profile
I caught her pbs special also. I love her. I have one of her books & I get her newsletter from her site. I want the dvd. She is so helpful. Although Im post menapausal now, I still find I need her & when she gave all that info for the after part I was thrilled! I dont want to be a dried up old bone!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  1:32:40 PM  Show Profile
I will for sure look for her PBS show and the book also...I am beginning the journey I am quite sure I am beginning that journey and better to know what to expect!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  4:04:43 PM  Show Profile
I went on Amazon.com and ordered the book...seems I need that right now. Thanks Clare!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  7:50:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm especially receptive to this information because I REFUSE to have my mother's menopause... It was not a good thing to be around. Information was not prevalent in the 1970's, or concerned doctors, or being in touch with base feelings, etc. She recently told me she got by on valium, that's what her doctor prescribed, and later on ERT. Wowser!

Aunt Jenny, Jo, Michele, Bramble, and Rebecca... glad to know this was helpful to you too.... Can't believe we're the only ones here that are inclined to discuss this?

There's empowerment in knowledge and sharing!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  8:56:12 PM  Show Profile
I think the main reason I am so interested in getting wisdom and info from other women about menopause is the same as yours..I don't want to have my mom's or grandma's devastating menopauses. Besides, I figure during mine I will have 4 kids going thru puberty at the same time...whee..what a ride that will be, right????????

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  06:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm smiling Jenny because I have one at 13 1/2year old and a 15 month old!
Yes it is very "odd" timing for everyone to be going through their cranky stage!

Rebecca- I just never felt the "same" again and my experience might not be yours. My son was born when I was 34 so everything is later than you are. Exercise, exercise, exercise! Use it our lose it! That's what I would recommend as I got so (wonderfully) wrapped up in being Mommy, I neglected that area and now am trying to make up for lost time ( and tone, flexibility, etc...) I also have fibromyalgia so... that may have added to that feeling.
As for "the girls"...I was always "well endowed" but they have decided to make for parts unknown and are headed east, west and south! North does not appear to be an option anymore!!!
Blessings to everyone as we enter, pass through or wave a glorious goodbye to this phase of our lives!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  06:25:47 AM  Show Profile
I don't have PBS but am glad to read this thread -- I'll definitely see if our library has her books and, if not, maybe I can get them through inter-library loan. Thanks for the information

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile
when my mother went through menapause she left 6 kids & my dad. I was only 8 then. Like you said Clare, they knew nothing back then! Well all my life I was petrified to have kids thinking I would leave them like she left us. THEY said back then that it was very possible for you to follow your mothers menapause cycle!! I didnt have a child until almost 40 & even then I was afraid. Well after my beautiful daughter was born I started researching EVERYTHING, I WASN'T going to be my mother. I wasn't thank God and knowledge IS power. You don't have to go through menapause alone & scared, there is so much to learn that will help you. Other then 1 time when it got so bad for me & I needed a little help from a very low dose medication, I did it naturally. BUT that time I needed help, I got it cause I knew I needed it. EVERYONE is different. I used a low dose hormone for 2 months & thats all I needed to get over that hump. Talk to your DR.'s BUT realize they are not in control, YOU ARE. Educate yourselves and be ready to talk to them w/ knowledge so you don't get the "its only menapause and heres a pill" speech.
Sorry for the soap box.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Although I don't really have any particular advice to add to this thread, I just wanted to say that I'm glad to see the subject addressed.
And as everyone seems to be in agreement about, M.D.s are too eager to prescribe a pill, & neglect to inform us of the very real risks associated with that approach. I'm NOT saying there isn't a time & place for conventional treatment, I'm simply saying to be fully aware of what treatment approach you are using.

My personal story seems to be a little out of the norm....... I had both my dear children in my 40s; the second when I was nearly 43. He nursed for a full 3 years. I had irregular periods my entire life, & continued to do so while the last child was nursing. Then one month, @ age 48, I noticed I hadn't had a period for 6 months! And since being pregnant was not a possibility, off I went to the Doc. Yep, turned out I was menopausal - in fact, I never had another period. Symptoms were fairly mild, although in hindsight I can see that MUCH of the anxiety I was feeling during that time period - and at the time, attributed to my horrible divorce - was actually from hormonal changes.

One interesting tidbit that my M.D. said to me: She felt that they way I experienced menopause was probably the most common way until the mid 20th century. That is, a women would have had her last child in early to mid 40s, then breastfed for several years, & eased into menopause. Since breastfeeding is naturally a decreased estrogen state, it makes the bridge into menopause a little bit easier. Food for thought......

I do want to say that I agree with Bramble that exercise is probably the single most important thing we can do for ourselves. And of course, as busy Moms, it is one of the first things we drop when we're busy - I'm certainly quilty of that, too. Maybe we should start an exercise support forum!

I'm now 54 (!!), & am still very interested in hearing from Farmgirls around my age, & older (is that possible?!?) re: this issue. I'd LOVE to know what you're doing to stay healthy & strong.
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  10:13:52 AM  Show Profile
My husband's grandma was taking black cohosh and using yam cream. She got breast cancer and they told her not to do the black cohosh or the yam cream as she makes too much estrogen and combined with the herbs/natural cream it was bad for her.

I think it's important to make sure you have your hormones tested.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  10:22:54 AM  Show Profile
That's amazine Melanie, I'm 49 and just thought I was going crazy! Oh my poor husband Paul....... I just get a little crabby (actually more than a little), I really try to get outside as much as possible in the middle of an Alaska winter, it helps to have two crazy labradors. I am glad to see this thread again, I think there was one a few years back. My son is 26 so child rearing is a long time ago for me! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I am only 47 and according to the blood test 100% post menopasual which happened in 12 months. My doctor was very concerned about how fast It went and then did a bunch more tests including biopsies(not fun). Then offerd me a RX. When I told him no he laughed and said I would be back to get them. I refuse to have my mother experence too. But when those hot flashes hit hard they are the worst thing I had experenced. Then the mood swings thank goodness for a very understand DH. I actually wanted to beat him with a stick one day when we were driving in the car and a falsh hit, as I started to rip off my clothes, he said open the window and stick your head out just like the dogs do. Well much to my surprise it worked GREAT! But since I can't spend my life driving in the car I have found a soulution that is working for me. Progesta-Care by Life-Flo Heath Care Products and Hot Flash by Source Naturals. My doctor too pushes the pills but talking to others women who have used them they only prolong the final out come and when you stop useing them all the symptoms return. Then you deal with the symptoms and the risks of the drugs. I also use a tea by Teava called Night Night at night to help with the sleep problems that have happened since the on set of the Hot Flashes. I try to excersise 3x's a week and eat the best I can (I still sometimes cheat and have that fast food treat)lot's of veggies and little meat. I take my vitiamins to make sure I cover any bases that I might miss through diet. But for the most part I feel the best I have in years. I am carrying a bit more weight these days but from what I read that is normal and to be expected. I am hoping through diet and excerise that I will control that too.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic PBS- Dr. Christiane Northrup's new program Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page