Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Question about the "virginity" of coconut oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about the "virginity" of coconut oil Next Topic  

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  11:57:17 AM  Show Profile
For those of you who use coconut oil as a moisturizer, does it matter if it's extra virgin? Does the non-virgin have additives, or just nutrient-loss?

If my question makes me sound uneducated, it's because I am! Educate me, please!

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I think for eating purposes I would stick to Virgin.(if you like it)
For me I don't like the "coconut smell or taste" so I use just coconut oil.
For skin care, soap making etc I would think plain coconut oil should be fine.
I know heating to extract, affects oils.
Just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  09:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Most coconut oil is hot pressed, from copra. Copra is dried coconut.

Virgin Coconut oil is fresh pressed, but still hot pressed.

Extra virgin coconut oil is both cold pressed, and fresh pressed. It is the highest in nutrition.

Heat changes coconut oil. If you take extra virgin coconut oil (which SMELLS like coconut!), and heat it on the stove, the smell changes, and the fresh coconutty smell disappears. It develops a greasier, kind of chemically musty smell instead (which is, incidentally, the same underlying smell in other types of coconut oils). This means, for baking where the temperature does not get too high (biscuits, cookies, bread, etc), extra virgin will make a difference. For frying, or other high heat cooking, you might as well use the cheap stuff (still better than canola oil). It also means, that for practical purposes, there is NO difference between standard, and Virgin coconut oils - the only one that is better is Extra Virgin (try the Nutiva Brand - Amazon.com has 52 oz jars at a very good price).

As far as use on skin or hair, there are two issues: Skin does not absorb nutrients - skin and scalp do. Higher nutrients in the oil means it can potentially be more effective. The other issue is smell. Fresh, cold pressed coconut oil is simply more pleasant to use, because it smells nicer.

Now, as a moisturizer, it will probably do just as much good to EAT it, as to spread it on! We have found that with Borage Oil (very good for dry skin), and with coconut oil, if you use it as a dietary supplement, your skin condition improves after about two weeks. Borage oil takes just 1 capsule a day, coconut oil takes 1-2 tablespoons a day.

In fact, if I use coconut oil on a regular basis, my hair and skin both get oilier after about three days. But my skin condition improves as well - I have sceborrhetic dermatitis, and both Borage and coconut help to clear it up - and they both work better internally than externally.

Laura
Mom to Eight

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com - Small Business Website Services with a Difference - Personal, Flexible, and Friendly
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about the "virginity" of coconut oil Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page