Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Flu and sinus infections
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Flu and sinus infections Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I need help. I started a new job in November and have been sick since. I am a PK4 teacher at a local preschool. Needless to say every child has been very thoughtful in sharing every illness they have. I work out whenever I'm not sick, I eat right, take my vitiamins, get plenty of sleep and wash my hands and theirs but nothing helps. I get a sinus infection almost every 4 weeks about the time the antibiotic were off and the stomach flu every 6-8 weeks. I got my flu shot in November so that should of kicked in. I've tried airborne and other products like that but they seem to make it worse. Any advice out there to get me through the first year of teaching. I'm tried of taking antibiotics which cause problems in the southern region which requires another RX to fix. Any suggestions in getting this sytem of mine back to "Normal"?

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  8:05:07 PM  Show Profile
I sometimes use a product called "Sino Fresh" an over the counter sinus spray that kills mold and bacteria in the sinuses. It has things like peppermint oil and other natural ingredients. It really helps. A bit expensive though..about $15 a bottle..found at Kmarts and Wal-marts.

I had a bad sinus infection last year that lasted nearly 3 months and had been given 3 rounds of antibiotics and nothing worked until I tried the sino fresh..it killed whatever was up in my nose causing the problems..because within 3 days I was on the mend and could breathe again.

Best of wishes to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  8:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Water, Water, Water!! Then I take honey, water and apple cider vinegar (a TBLSP of each to one glass of water). I keep irrigating my nose with Saline. Once a week, I make homemade chicken soup but load it up on garlic ( I do it on a Friday so I won't offend everyone ; )) I sip it all day long. I take extra echinacea and I avoid dairy products. This seems to work for me.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  8:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget the: Active culture yogurt!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo,
I know this is the LAST thing you want to hear having taken all those antibiotics, but have you been checked for strep?
Also, having had a few sinus infections myself, I know they can take a LONG time to get rid of. Make sure you are on the right meds and for a long enough time. Lots of bugs are resistant to the meds now.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  9:32:46 PM  Show Profile
That is the truth....the bugs are becoming super bugs. There is an even nastier form of MRSA coming about. It is now out in the general public, not just in the hospital now. So many people picked it up in the hospitals and colonized it in their bodies, that it has spread and is becoming more virulent. (very scary!) It can set up shop in anyone's nose. So I agree get a strep throat culture done, and possibly consider a nasal swabbing.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Feb 27 2007 7:34:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  9:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Get a neti pot and do nasal washing at least twice or three times a day. Flush the germs out and you wont' get sick. For more info the doctor I sat at a conference with that speaks about this is at this site.... www.nasopure.com I don't necessarily promote her product but i think nasal washing is an excellent prevatitive measure.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  04:48:36 AM  Show Profile
And to add to what everyone else has said, I'll just say hang in there! As a teacher somewhere in my 11th(!) year of the profession, I can tell you that it will get better next year and the year after...you'll also likely go through phases of wellness, but it sounds like you're already taking good care of yourself, so just continue to do so. Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better soon!
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  9:11:45 PM  Show Profile
I am a pre-school teacher myself. Wash hands, wash hands also wipes especially after wiping noses. Clean surfaces at the end of the day with bleach water and allow to dry. So far this year (knock on wood) no problems Hang in there.................

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on the nasal washing. I had some sinus infections a few years ago that I thought were allergies and the nasal washing was the only thing that cleared it up.

Hopefully your natural immunity will start kicking in after having so many infections. I think it is normal when you first get exposed to young children in the setting you are in. When my kids first started school I was sick for what seemed like a year. Finally I think my immunity built up and I didnt get sick so often.

I would continue to do all the things you probably are already doing like handwashing, disinfection of surfaces ect. If you arent taking a good multivitamin I would do that. Hopefully it will all clear up for you on its own.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  7:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Tina Thanks for the advice about Sino fresh It is working .I have had sinus problems all my life and this winter i have had 2 sinus infections (went through one time of antibiotics but refused to take the second) and until 2 days ago I had terrible sinus pressure and headaches Everyday, I used Sino fresh and I went today pain free and my nose is Finally running! Thanks for the advice!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  7:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried the Airbornne tablets? Supposedly they were invented by a teacher in your type of situation. They really do seem to help!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  7:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Another remedy that really seems to help dd is Sinupret --- haven't found it yet here in the States in Germany it's otc and I've heard they have it in Canada. An herbal formulation.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:20:54 AM  Show Profile
AS a teacher you will tend to get sick a lot your first few years! I was sick my whole first year, second year was okay, thrid year I only missed 1 day for poison ivy but this year I am sick like crazy again. I am on my third bout of the flu and this one knocked me out for a whole week! I take vitamins, was my hands, eat healthy, stay active so I guess some years are just better than others! Lets hope that next year is a no sick day year!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  10:35:54 AM  Show Profile
That Purell hand sanitizer is good. Technically to kill the germs on your hands by washing them you have to wash them for 10 minutes. So, the sanitizer is quick & easy. I've read that exercise & friendship keep your immune system up.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  4:11:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry! It gets old I know

Same for flying on airplanes. Maybe the air in your school is dry and drying out your nose and resp. tract making you to prone to everything. Staying hydrated and drinking fluids like someones said is good.

As for the stomach crud......especially this one going around,,,,,it remains contageous for about 72 hours after it initially passes, so a kid who has had it and may be "well" but is still capable of infecting you and everyone else again when they don't thoroughly wash hands after bathroom use then touch doors and every other hard surface.

A dear friend of ours just lost thir sister in a nursing home due to this stomach cootie. In effect, she aspirated and suffocated. what a bad, bad way to go!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  4:13:33 PM  Show Profile
forgot to also mention keeping fingers out of eyes and nose. Sounds funny, but difficult for one such as myself who has allergies and is constantly blowing her nose, and who wears contacts that cause tired, scratchy eyes!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Well I'm finally well I think. Sino-Fresh is great stuff I used it last summer and forgot all about it. I've tried the neti pots but they seem to only make my sinuses worse. My sister and daughter swear by them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think the real cure was an old fashion remedy my grandfather and my father used on us when we were little. Blackberry Brandy. A shot of it along with a sit in the hot tub, cup of hot tea and then to bed with heavy quilts and the next morning I felt 100% better. I have been taking my echinacia faithfully and trying to spend time outside everyday and I make my students go out too. I also really came down on them for picking their noses. I took them to the bathroom and put a bit of cinnamon on their hands to simulate the germs that are in their noses, mouth and eyes and had them wash their hands untill it was all gone. Took a long time but they seem to have gotten the message. I also got hand sanitizer for the room and have my assistant bleach down everything at night. I hate having her do it but the bleach makes me sick. I have developed a rash from the sanitizer so I have stopped using it as often. But I'm going on week two of feeling back to my old self. So hopefully I'm on my way to good health. Thank you for all your suggestions.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Flu and sinus infections Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page