theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  07:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a suggestion on how wide the clothesline should be? I dont want it to sag in the middle but would like to be able to hang a couple bed sheets on it..
I wonder what the norm would be ?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  11:25:25 AM  Show Profile
Just make sure the line is taught, {sp} I just put one up and it works great. Richard had me stand under it to check for how high it should be, I can reach it with my arm out stretched and pull it down, and of course as you hang clothes it comes down a bit more. If you need a lot of clothes line, make two or more short ones rather then one very long one, because that might sag without a center support.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  07:43:30 AM  Show Profile
I crawled in between line dried sheets last night -- absolute heaven! The first ones of my "drying season". I just love hanging out clothes!!!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
New Product -- Soap Souffle

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  4:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Its been so beautiful here for the last several days.
I think I have washed clothes just to hang them outside.ROFL I love the smell of the fresh air clothes.
We love the feel of towels dried out. they are so invigorating to the skin.
Well gotta go wash something else. lol
shirley
Go to Top of Page

darc333
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Darcy
Whitehall mt
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  07:57:14 AM  Show Profile
After stumbling on this site, I just had to share my story.
We purchased 20 Acres in a rural area. After paying it off we decided to move our double wide on it. Not wanting a large loan to haunt us, we decided to rough it, and purchase our utilitys as we could afford it. First we got power, then we were saving up for a well. During this time I purchased an old wringer washer. I could not believe how this washer brought my family together. My kids loved helping do laundry. We homeschool, so one day a week we did laundry. My kids helped from from start to finish..ending with taking clothes off the clothesline. We are all set up now, but i can't wait for summer so i can dig out the wringer washer again. A lot of people thought we were crazy to attempt living this way, But the reward of seeing your children drop that video game controller to help with the laundry is so worth it. I have learned it is the small things that make a family. I feel so blessed to have expierenced this way of life. D. Johnson
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  08:01:00 AM  Show Profile
I love wringer washers! It reminds me of helping my grandma do laundry. Some of the best memories I have are of wash day with her. If I had a spot I'd have one again. I think they get your clothes much cleaner!

It is the small things that make a family and your kids will have wonderful memories of this time together.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  2:46:15 PM  Show Profile
We always loved the wringer washer we had when I was at home with my parents, the only mishap with it was...
I came home from school one day and could find my mom.
I finally heard her calling from the basement, I ran down and found her up to her armpit in the wringer! She was ok, but couldn't release the top enough to get herself out. I got her out in just a minute.
As soon as my dad heard about it, he took the wringer off of it and when down to the appiance store and bought a new washing machine.
He said that will not happen again.
my mother & I feel the wringer washer did a better job washing than the new did, but it was too late my dad got rid of the wringer washer.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  5:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I went out to hang up a small load today, can't hang up everything, well I could if I had to, anyway wow was it windy, think they dried in the basket before I could get them on the line, not my usual nice ZEN happening, but they sure dried flat, no ironing needed!! My hair didn't look so good when I came in either. But it was such a sunny sunny day, even if it was a lot windy.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  7:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a set-up where your clothesline is on a pulley system? I've heard of them and you can have it in the basement or kitchen and lower it when you need it and pull it up to dry or store the empty clotheslines.

There's one at Lehman's but it too much money and I'm wondering if anyone has built one themselves. Our apartment is too small now we've moved, but we have a nice courtyard with these great overhangs and I want to put some there.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  7:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jan! When I was a kid, my mom has really long clothes lines and would hold them up along the line with clothesline poles. They were just long poles/ 2x2's (?) with a notch in one end to set the line in. Hope this makes more sense that it sounds!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  9:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. This is a great subject. I hang my wash on my neighbors line. I also have a special way of doing it. I line things up so that when they come off the line all of the panties, towels, etc. are together and make it easy to put away. I also fold each piece as it comes off. About the clothspin bags. There is a pattern in MaryJane's book. Gramax18
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  10:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks gals for all the info~~ Maybe I can get DH to put my poles in the ground this weekend~~
Hugs Jan
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile
I have two big trees spaced apart just right for a clothesline. Does anyone know what kind of hooks I could buy to drill onto the trees to hold the line? Or shouldn't I drill into trees?
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile
Jan
When we put up our clothesline, one screw went into the corner of the house and the other one in the tree. the hooks we used were shaped like captain hooks, except smaller of course, wish I could draw one here. anyway its a screw hook, so Richard just turned it into the tree and didn't have to use his drill on the tree, it just turned right in and is really tight. Then tied the line over the hook part. I must say its a dandy line. just love it. got the screw hooks from home depot, but any hardware has them.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  11:31:25 AM  Show Profile
Jan
correction.
I was just out hanging up clothes, they are rings that screw into the tree and the house, then the line tied onto a dog leash hook and hooked to the ring.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy, I know exactly what you mean...never thought of using those...off to the store!
Go to Top of Page

Hauptweibchen
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  5:12:33 PM  Show Profile
[URL=http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clotheslineedited6io.jpg][/URL]

This is my clothesline. I drew it on paint because I don't know how to download pics off my camera yet.
It was here befor we moved in and I've never seen one like it. It's not exactly like the umbrella types I've seen.
The arms are straight out from the pole. Those loops are where the line goes through. I have no idea what the right way is to weave my line through all the loops.Its not even long enough to go through them all.
THe blue thingy is my pin holder.
I have a few antique clothespins. Both the spring and split kind.
The old spring kind are great. THick strong springs. THey've never fallen apart on me. I like the split kind too. THey hold well in a strong wind. I bought the cheap made in china kinds but they all fell apart or blew away with my cloths!
I need more pins. I've heard of girls using the little hardware clamps. I think I've seen a few in the garage I might snag.
What do you gals use for windy days?

There is a old electric wringer washer in a shed that was here when we moved in. It has a garage sale price tag of $20 and says "It Works!". I just haven't been moved to try the thing out.

ttfn

Edited by - Hauptweibchen on May 07 2006 5:23:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I found this particular discussion as the result of web search. The reason it peaked my curiosity is because of the way I found it. My girlfriend and I manufacture T-Post clotheslines and sell them on the net, ....along with several other types and styles from different manufacturers ranging from the USA to Australia. Anyhow, I was actually looking for other clothesline sites, (checking out the competition, so to speak), when your discussion popped up on Google. Don't worry, this isn't a selfish attempt on my behalf to toss an advertisement into your chat. Truth be known, your discussion started me waxing nostalgic about when I was a kid and my mother hung our laundry....five kid's worth, on our big ole clothesline. She genuinely enjoyed hanging out laundry and still does to this day. My father built her a clothesline over thirty years ago and it's still going strong. I guess he knew what he was doing. It's kinda funny because we live in a Northern climate, up here in the great state of Maine and she gets a little bummed out when winter gains a foothold over the region. I think she would hang her clothes out in the dead of winter if she could get my father to plow the snow away from her clothesline. In fact, she sometimes does. All I can say to that is, BRRRRRRRR! I recall helping her take them down from time to time and they were frozen solid! As a kid, we always thought that was humorous. I'm all for saving energy, but 20 below zero is too much for me to take! Anyhow, I enjoyed reading your chat and I think it's great that not everyone looks at a clothesline like it's an eyesore. I for one think they make a backyard look complete and I'm certain that people who use them are a bit smarter then the average person. :o)
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Paul- Welcome!! My uncle lives in Maine- in Wells. Where is that in relation to you? I love that you make clothesline poles and your memories of your mom brining in frozen clothes made me think of mine doing the same.(I grew up in Mass.) I remember her bringing in a pair of my dad's pants and stood them near the oil stove in the kitchen. We all thought it was hilarious as they began to thaw and twist their way to the floor! My husband just put my new clothesline up this weekend, and it is full of blowing white church shirts today.
Good luck, and again, welcome to the forum.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  09:25:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karin,

Thank you for welcoming me to your forum! To answer your question, the town of Wells is about 80 miles SW of us. We live in a small town called Weeks Mills. It's actually a township within a larger town called China. It has 4 smaller areas called , China, South China, Weeks Mills and Branch Mills. Since our post office is in South China, that's the name we usually go by...much to the irritation of my Uncle Roland. He was born, raised and still resides in Weeks Mills, consequently he refuses to go by any other name. We had our own post office up until about 8 years ago. I guess it wasn't busy enough so they closed it. I've never seen so many angry townsfolk when that happened. Many of them are still bitter at the post office even after all these years. they are worried about the town loosing it's unique identity. Sorry...I seem to be rambling on.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you are making full use of your clothesline. Over the next year or so, it will help you save enough money to make a trip up to Wells and visit your uncle. I'd suggest coming in the summer though. Things get a bit chilly up here in the winter....or as we pronounce it ...wintah! Just remember to say, "Cha-ching" every time you take your clothes off the line. It's the sound of your hard-earned money being saved....not to mention the help you are giving our environment.

Take care,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  10:38:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Paul! Welcome! It's so neat that you make clotheslines - so many of us here use them.

I know we'd like to "officially meet" you - why don't you hop on over to the Welcome Wagon forum and introduce yourself?

Enjoy! Nice to have you around...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile
WElcome Paul! I agree...what Libbie said!!
glad you found us!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  4:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Yay, I got Diana to join up last night! She's out mowing the lawn at the moment. OK, it's not like it sounds, I do the push mowing, she does the rider. I just happened to finish before her. Besides, I spotted a whole box of ice-cream sandwiches in the freezer. mmmmmmmmm.

When we all learn to get along, only then will peace on earth truly be possible.
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  5:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone like using those old-fashioned clothespins that are made entirely of wood?

When we all learn to get along, only then will peace on earth truly be possible.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Using a clothesline Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page