KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  07:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Paul are you talking about the old slide on type clothespins?

I have a few, but are hard to find (or I should say replace) so mainly use the spring type.
I have found the spring type hold better on wire clothesline ( my outside lines), but the slide on type hold better on cloth wrapped clothesline( my basement lines).
Are you thinking of selling the slide on type?
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but wow! We have been busy! I guess Memorial day gets people thinking about clotheslines.

Yes I was thinking about selling the slide-on type. I found a few small woodcraft manufacturers who make them on a small scale, but they are so expensive, I'm not sure if they are worth the trouble. I just wanted to get a feel for their popularity. I've used them before and think the spring loaded ones do work better...but they also fall apart easier.

I seek the opinions of you experts.

When we all learn to get along, only then will peace on earth truly be possible.
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  12:55:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting so frustrated! I want to buy a clothesline, the T-pole kind, but after looking in Port Angeles and Sequim can't find them. You'd think with there being alot of rural homes around here that people would know what a clothesline is but I found many people in the stores that acted like they didn't know what a clothesline is! I really can't afford the $200 right now for Paul's or I'd order it right away. Even Home Depot in Sequim didn't have much, they did have an umbrella one but I really want the old fashioned T-pole kind. I've thought about us trying to make one with wood posts but my husband is only around on the weekends and there's usually too much to do so I doubt he'd get to it. Does anyone in Western Washington know where they sell them or does anyone else have any ideas? I've been wanting a clothesline for years but especially since I moved out here to the country.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  04:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
Maybe you should post a want ad in your area paper for a t-style clothes line, also maybe post on any community bulletin boards (grocery store etc).
You never know...
Make sure everyone you know also knows your looking.
I have kicked myself many times for not telling everyone what I'm looking for.
When I was looking for a porch swing, I didn't tell a couple a ogirls I know and after I had bought one mail order, they told me they had just sold one for $5.00!!!!
I spent +$200 for mine!
So tell everyone your looking!
just my 2 cents
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  5:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen, I was going to post an ad like you suggested and then happened to be in the hardware/John Deere store in town picking up a part the other day and asked them if they carried the T-pole style clotheslines and at first they said they didn't think anybody made them anymore but they looked on their computer and sure enough, they carry them! They had 2 different sets, one is a heavier weight pole so that's the set I ordered. They had to order it in and I think I missed the Wednesday delivery but next week is still great, it gives me something to look forward to! It's probably silly of me to get so excited about something like this but I can't wait to hang my clothes outside! I've got my chickens outside now in their own little chicken coop and I'm getting a clothesline. I'm starting to feel like a real farmgirl!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Happy Day Cheryl!
Sounds like you'll be smelling line dryed sheets in no time!
If you go back to page 12 of the posts, you'll see my free standing clothes line (March). I love it and am able to turn it into the wind!
Enjoy your clothesline!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  6:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl,

One of our competitors offers a T-Post clothesline. I don't know exactly what you are looking for in the durability area, but it may be something that interests you. It's $39.99 plus shipping.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-186-outdoor-clothes-dryers-/clothesline-t-post-104773.aspx

When we all learn to get along, only then will peace on earth truly be possible.
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  7:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Paul, that was really nice of you to tell me about that clothesline! I'll definitely check that out! Karen, I saw the picture of your clothes line the other day when I was going through the posts and was admiring the cabin there too! We have 10 acres that are mostly fairly narrow and it goes up a hill and I'd love to one day put a cabin like that at the top of our property. First we have to put a road from our house to the top of that hill. I like your free standing clothes line too. I haven't seen one like that before. It's a good thing I don't have my clothes line yet or I'd be very frustrated. The weather has turned ugly again and it's dark and rainy out at only 7pm!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  06:02:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by holysmokes1

Anyhow, I enjoyed reading your chat and I think it's great that not everyone looks at a clothesline like it's an eyesore. I for one think they make a backyard look complete and I'm certain that people who use them are a bit smarter then the average person. :o)

I put mine right in my front yard because that's where it's most convenient for me! Granted, the placement does keep me from hanging our "dainties" out there.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  07:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Your quite welcome Cheryl. I hope it works out for you.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  8:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Our clothes line is jeri-rigged between two large trees in out back yard and hoisted in the middle where it sags with a tree limb that my husband tripodded. It's so backwoods and I love it!! I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it....
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  7:29:14 PM  Show Profile
My clothesline came in today, can't wait till I pick it up tomorrow!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl how did you made out with your new clothesline? I hope you have sunny weather for the next few days so you can use it.

I added another clothesline to our site called Mrs. Pegg's Handy Line. It's an Australian invention. A bit expensive, but I think people will really like it, especially folks who don't have much room in their yard. If anyone is curious, here is a link. http://www.clotheslineshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=02000&Category_Code=OCI

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Paul- That is a very nice clothesline! I hope it becomes a big seller for you.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  8:40:16 PM  Show Profile
I picked up the clothesline poles last Friday but the weather was bad here during the weekend and plus we were trying to finish making the fencing for our chickens so the holes didn't get dug for the clothesline poles. I did buy a post-hole digger and I was going to just do it myself this week but my husband wants to help so I'll wait till this weekend. It's very heavy duty with places for 5 lines on it so that will be good. I'll take pictures once I get it up.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the compliment Karen. We've already sold a couple of them. They seem to offer a combination of light weight and mobility. I think people with limited space will like them.

I'd love to see some pictures of your new clothesline Cheryl. Just don't let those chickens get too close to your laundry basket. lol

Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  5:10:41 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone use a pulley clothesline? My grandmother used to have one that went from a window inside her laundry room to a tree across the yard which was way up in the air. She didn't need to go outside. It was so high that she never needed to worry about kids or grandkids touching her laundry. I always thought is was great that she never had to carry her laundry outside. She just pulled it in through the window.

Go to Top of Page

Emma
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Emma-Cho
Applethorpe Queensland
Australia
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I can't believe there are other women who love doing laundry as much as - and more than! - me. Hanging out laundry on the line in the sun is just about my favourite thing in the whole world to do. Our clothesline is really just two big tree trunks with beams and twine for the lines, very "first-settler" Australian, and that teamed with the view of the bush and mountains I get when hanging the laundry makes for such a happy and relaxing chore. Happy laundering girls!
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  11:44:55 AM  Show Profile
My clothesline has clean clothes on it every day it seems. I tend to wash my sheets a couple of times a week when it get crisper outside...I love that fresh smell. I have to get a new drying rack as my other one has broken so many times that it is now unfixable. I like living a simple, environmentally happy life and when someone comments about how I do everything "the hard way", I simply tell them that these things are not hard for me at all! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  02:48:00 AM  Show Profile
My love affair with the clothesline was reignited when I married my French hubby in 2004. I grew up with memories of taking the clothes in off the line for my mom after school alot, and as a stay at home mom I used a clothesline, but once I found myself separated with two little boys and had to go back to work full time I retreated indoors to the convenience of the dryer! My husband has jeri-rigged a clothes line in the backyard in Norfolk for me and I already had a couple of indoor wooden dryers. Here in France we don't even HAVE a dryer and by the looks of it, most people do not. Every apartment window has neat little racks that clip over a balcony, and I see traditional clothes lines in most backyards. I planted lavender, sage and rosemary under the clothesline we have here; once they get big I can drape pillow cases over them for the scent. And boy the sun does bleach white things whiter than Clorox could ever hope to! I do like some of ya'll, (in Norfolk) after line drying I put the jeans and the stiffer towels into the dryer for a few minutes. I love the fact that I am using lots less electricity this way and it DOES feel good to do things the "hard" way sometimes. I recently ended an email to a friend back home with "well gotta go get the clothes off the line". She said she giggled when she read that because it had been so long since she even used a clothesline; sometimes things we consider luxuries become routine after awhile!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  06:58:56 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE hanging my clothes out to dry..and need to get a new wooden rack for winter. My last one just finally fell apart. I want to get a really good one this time.
Today is sorta cloudy out and I know i could make it rain big time if I go fill up the clotheslines with wet clothes now...hmmmm

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  11:47:53 PM  Show Profile
I love hanging clothes out too - I can't even imagine using a dryer all the time. The clothes smell so much nicer from outside. I also love the cosy, homey feeling of socks, etc. hanging in front of the fire (of course, we are in winter at the moment).
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  1:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Diana found this poem on the internet. Does anyone know who the author is? I would love to post it on my website but do not want to infringe on the owners copyright.

CLOTHESLINES

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly line for neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the company table clothes
With intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It said, "Gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy gray,
As neighbors raised their brows,
And looked disgustedly away.

But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  7:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I do miss the option of having my clothesline in our new home! I only used it for sheets and blankets for the most part, but I LOVE the smell of fresh air in clean clothes!

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Ladies! I'm so glad this topic is active right now - in the winter! I have a clothesline, I live in Spokane, Washington, so it gets cold. Now I remember my mother saying that when my brother and I were babies and we lived in Rhode Island that she hung our diapers on the line and they froze and then she would shake them out and fold them and they were dry. So I tried it with some bath towels. Well, after being out all day (about 6 hours) on a dry, sunny day, the towels were frozen, all right, but when I brought them in, I laid them on a kitchen chair, and when they warmed up, they were damp, so I threw them in the dryer for a bit. SO, my question is - is there a trick to drying clothes outside in the winter, or is it just a matter of humidity, etc.? We are very dry here in Spokane, we're in the high desert, so when it's not raining or snowing, it's dry. Thanks for any ideas. Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Using a clothesline Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page