therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  07:38:18 AM  Show Profile
I just want it to stop raining so I can hang clothes outside!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  6:40:24 PM  Show Profile
I just recently rehung our lines from last summer. Our goat, Mocha, was so curious...she had forgotten about them I guess. Well, she thought all those clothes were a present for her...she went to town justa pullin' and chewin'. I went to town justa yellin' and spankin'. She'll definitely have to be penned up next time.

I love the crispness of towels. It feels like an exfoliating massage when I dry off.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile
I have always loved to hang clothes out and still do as often as possible. When we built our cabin, we had to haul water and we still don't have any electricity so clothes washing is quite a chore. I have two wash tubs, a washboard and I recently bought my treasure, a hand wringer! It is a BIG job to wash clothes by hands when water is at a premium but I can't tell you how much easier it is now that I have the wringer. My hands were just not strong enough to wring the water out enough to get the clothes to dry in a timely manner. Once they are wrung out and on the line, it doesn't take long to dry them in the Montana wind. I have a new appreciation for my grandmother who raised 12 children with no washing machine!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile
It sure is amazing how many of our foremothers did just that..big old families and no electricity..no indoor plumbing in many cases!! I love love love my clothesline! This place came with a really great big old clothesline...5 lines about 50 ft long and big heavy metal t shaped posts..I love it..it is made to last.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  10:30:02 PM  Show Profile
One of these days I'm going to get my lines back up. I miss them so. I had some work done on the water pipe comming off from the main. They had to take out one of my metal pipe clothesline posts. Somehow it vanished so I need to have another one welded. When it's done I think I'm going to paint them cobalt blue so they match.
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  2:47:06 PM  Show Profile
I too love my clothesline and can't fathom being without one. On dry day's even if it's cold I'll hang our feather pillows and comforters out in the air. There is nothing like it. I held out and several months later I found a huge indoor wooden clothesrack at an estate sale for $5.00.. I felt just like I struck gold. THen to top that off I found off in the corner an old wooden ironing board. MJ either in her book or one of the mags holds my sentiment toward it. It is like a peice of furniture I leave it up all the time for a quickie iron It is so cute in my mudroom. I can't believe I found it I swear it is just like brand new I don't think they ever used it. It has a patent stamp on it in ink that reads patent oct, 1905!!!! Now I need to find a wringer and some washtubs. Oh Joy. HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  5:59:41 PM  Show Profile
I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but I have a question about hanging clothes on the line. I must have done something wrong when I used to hang out clothes because lots of my things were really stiff (in the summer). Was I supposed to add something to the water to keep the clothes soft?

Where I've lived the last 3 years, there's a covenant restricting clotheslines, but when we move to the country dh is going to put one up for me again.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  08:50:44 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning gals!
It was so beautiful this morning about 27 degrees right now, I had to hang out clothes, at least sheets and a few things.
Just having the sun out, makes me feel great!

Got to go back out and soak up the sunshine!
Ta Ta
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

Edited by - KarenP on Mar 04 2006 08:51:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile
That is the absolute cutest little cabin I have ever seen..and how perfect to have the clothes hanging on the line there...hey..we have more snow than YOU this morning..that surprises me!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  10:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I noticed your clothes line isn't in the ground, but rather a frame that can be moved (or am I seeing things). Where did you find that? I would like to have the option to move the clothesline.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes Aunt Jenny, you probably do have more snow, as we have had a couple storms miss us.
We are supposed to get 2 to 4 inches tomorrow, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I love my cabin, it's a potting/storage shed. But the porch is my favorite spot.
Patti,
You're right, my clothes line is able to move around my yard! Great to turn into the wind. I've had it about 12 yrs.
There is a metal shop near where my husband works that makes 'em. Mine is a 14'-5 line, I wish I'd have gotten the 17' version as I only wash clothes about once a week and I can't get everything on the line if there is sheets too.
Well it is now 38 degrees, I think I better get a bike ride in!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

Edited by - KarenP on Mar 04 2006 11:09:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  7:50:16 PM  Show Profile
Karen - great potting/storage cabin AND cool clothesline - I like the portability idea. Mine is one that seems like it's similar to some other ladies' - big old metal "T" posts that are about as far as portable as one can get. I love it, however.

And Patti - I've not found anything to take the stiffness out of line-dried things, but I happen to like them sort of "crispy," myself. One thing I've done with some of the baby's stuff is to really smack it around when I'm folding it - you know - how you can make snappy sounds with stuff when you fold it? Well, that seems to soften it up a bit.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile
What a great thing to be able to move your clothesline around. Mine is a short line that gets alot of shade. I want to make on of the little wall clothes line in MJ's book for my pantry. I have the perfect cupboard door to hang it. I was hoping to hang my sheets out today, but it keeps raining off and on. .

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  07:02:31 AM  Show Profile
It's supposed to be close to 60 here today so I'm putting up the temporary clothesline. It's been a long winter not being able to hang out clothes. The sheets are going out this AM!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile
All this talk about clotheslines...made me want one so last Friday I went online but they were sooo expensive and I wanted a genuine oldfashioned clothesline..I found a set of T-poles -with scrolling on them at the sale last Sat..Another couple gals wanted them badly ...but not as bad as me! I took them home and cant wait for DH to put them up that I can start hanging clothes out~
Of course, we are expecting snow tonight~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile
I have a retractable clothesline I bought for camping at Walmart. It was by the clothes pins and stuff. I love it you could just attach it to a tree or the house and reel it out when you need it for bigger stuff if you needed more space than a drying rack.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  08:13:42 AM  Show Profile
I went up to my guy's place in North Central WI the other day and we had a load of wet clothes with us that we had washed at my house, he has no running water, so uses my laundry whenever he comes down here. Well by the time we got up there it was night, a million stars out, cold and the snow, several feet of it, was frozen under our feet. But we went out to the clothesline with our flashlight and hung out the laundry in the dark. It was such a beautiful night hanging out the clothes together under that wonderful starry sky...farmgirl romance at it's finest! By the way, everything but a sweatshirt was dry by morning.

Edited by - owwlady on Mar 24 2006 08:15:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile
GOING TO PUT ME UP A CLOTHES LINE THIS SPRING, WHAT IS A GOOD HEIGHT? To high and I can't reach it, to low and the clothes pull it down. When I lived at home we had a pully line off the back porch and just reeled them out over the field, that was pretty neat. But its been many years since I have had a line and would like one again. so is there a standard height?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I'm home today with a sick kid, and decided to hang laundry out on the line instead of tossing it in the dryer! First time in 5 years! You all have inpired me! The lines are sagging a bit, so I'd love to find some poles to prop the lines up like my husbands' grandmother and mother do. I think I'll dry all of my bedding and linens out there from now on!

Nancy Jo, I think our poles are about 5 1/2 feet high. The line is that vinyl stuff, so it tends to stretch out. I'd love to have some plastic coated metal line. Even though we're renting, I may just have to replace that line soon! As for the sagging, the poles I mentioned my GMIL and MIL having, they're about 6 feet long and have a notch in them so that the line sits in the notch, and you prop the line up with them. (The poles are metal and about 2" in diameter.)

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  09:06:37 AM  Show Profile
KATIE
Thanks for the info, going to get my line up soon, the weather is starting to get more spring like. Hope the little one is feeling better.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  8:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Had one nice day this week so I finally got to hang things on the line!
I am so ready for steady sun instead of steady rain!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  07:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Two lovely days in a row - yesterday morning and the day before - I was able to catch up on laundry and watch it wave in the wind. It's so nice to have enough wind to "soften" the clothes as they hang. And last night? Sleeping on wind-scented sheets listening to rain fall. It was so peaceful. Sometimes I just cling to these little pleasures - they make all of the "fussing and feisting" of life worth it! (My little guy usually says to me, when he's fussy, "Mom, I'm just feisting at you. I'll be better in a minute!!!)

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile
WELL HECK!!!!
Finally got my DH to put up the clothes cause it has been very nice weather. YEA he got it up , and its been raining every since
BLAW BLAW
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  11:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Today, thanks to a blog called Seeking The Old Paths I found a great site for line drying clothes, maybe it has been mentioned before so forgive me if it has.

http://www.theclotheslinebook.com/

and

http://www.laundrylist.org/

I like the laundry art.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  03:49:10 AM  Show Profile
THANKS Floralsaucer, checked out the book on Amazon and ordered it used for less then two dollars plus shipping, looks like a really nice book.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Using a clothesline Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page