Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How to Rouch Next Topic  

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  10:02:09 AM  Show Profile
This is also posted on page 3 of Farmgirl Fashions!

How to rouch.
Rouching is a series of channels along a garment through which you gather the fabric. I did a corded rouching. Don't know if that is the proper term, but that best describes it.

In the plaid skirt, I cut a piece of fabric that was the length that I wanted the channel to be, which happened to be from the waist to 1" above the ruffle, then cut it the width of the two channels plus enough to fold under to finish the edges. I then finished all four edges and pinned it on the top of where I wanted the channels to run. With the plaid skirt, I laid it directly over one of the vertical seam lines on the front side of the skirt. (This skirt has 6 panels, so I had plenty of seams to choose from. I then sewed each outside edge down, using the previous stitching as my guide, then sewed directly down the middle of the appliqued piece to create two channels. I only wanted to channels. This way I could run two pieces of cording through and tie it at the bottom just above the ruffle. Be sure to cut your cording long enough to hang out of the bottom of the channel so it doesn't get lost up the channel when the garment is not gathered. I sewed the top of the channels directly into the waistline and finished off the bottom of the channel before sewing it on to the skirt for a neat edge.

There are many different ways to rouch. You can rouch the seams, but taking a slightly deeper seam, and stitch it down on the inside of the garment to create a channel and then run elastic or cording through it.

Another way would be to make a garment with a double thickness, finish off the top and bottom open then sew channels from top to bottom and run your cording or elastic through the desired amount of channels, securing it along the top and bottom or leaving it open on the bottom for an adjustable rouching.

If I get time today, I'll post some close up photos of the rouching to better visualize this technique!

Hope this helps a little.

Sorry, My brain is going in many different directions. I meant to post this the other day! Thanks for the reminder!!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Aunt George. I have printed the directions to put inside my sewing binder. I appreciate the time it took to write them out for me. Thank you.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How to Rouch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page