Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Our Sewing Rooms (or the space we sew in!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Our Sewing Rooms (or the space we sew in!) Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  2:22:26 PM  Show Profile
I think it was Meadowlark who started this topic when we were discussing our sewing machines , so I thought I'd open it as a new topic to answer.
When growing up, we sewed in a corner of the kitchen where we were out of the way and hardly even noticed.The kitchen was larger than most and L shaped so we could have a little door to seperate us before the laundry/mud room.It had three windows and red gingham valances and was sunny and bright. Alot of good projects came from that sewing area!
As an adult, I have primarily sewed at the end of our table wherever we have lived. I had to stop this practice when my son was small because although we had childproofed all the plugs, one day while he was playing on the floor (on the other side of the table) he got a hold of some scissors and decided to cut through the cord of my plugged in machine! But for the grace of God and the plastic handle grips ... I shudder to think. There was a loud popping and smoke smell and he sat there looking at me as he held up this smoking pair of scissors that had a big chunk of metal blown out of them."Hot, hot hot..." was all he yelled and I thought he had been shocked . I started sewing in our bedroom away from little people after that!
Now I am moving everything into our laundry/ utility room and hope to make it a little space that I can have all my supplies in one place and not constantly looking for them. I found an old desk with 7 drawers (on the way back from basesball pratice -free!) that I think will be perfect to store all my sewing stuff and set up my machine for
long term sewing. I can't wait! And guess what my first project will be ? Large Red checked valances for the four windows and maybe something for the door.Like maybe a sign that says "A Sewing Woman is a happy woman...enter at your own risk!"

with a happy heart

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  2:37:17 PM  Show Profile
I am taking a breather before the next round of relatives comes in...Don't get me wrong, I dearly love my relation but whewww,they are a busy, big bunch!!! Not used to all these little kids, and the house isn't toddler proof. Speaking of toddler proofing, Bramble you must have freaked when your son cut the electrical cord. Thank heavens he was safe! I can see why you decided to move your sewing to another space. Your laundry/utility sounds great for your new sewing space. You must have a lot of natural light with the windows you described...And red/white checked valances I love that! It does seem to say "HEY, A WOMAN SEWS HERE!!!" Sounds adorable Bramble. I think I will move my machine to the dining room because I have 3 floor to ceiling west windows thus a lot of light streams in. I do all my art at the dining table in there, and have used a portable machine there too. The room just seems right. I have 2 parakeets and a lovebird in there that keep me company with their chatter.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  2:39:29 PM  Show Profile
One of my twin nephews also cut the cord on the sewing machine while my sister was sewing one day! He wasn't hurt either but it scared both of them.
For years my "sewing room" was also on the kitchen table. I grabbed a bedroom when one of my older kids went to college--the smallest room of course--and collected my supplies from the closet they lived in. Soon I filled up that room. What can I say, I'm a quilter. I clean it up but the next thing you know I have it all out again. Then I moved into a bigger room. It's pretty full too. Now I'm cleaning out things I'll never use and making bags and boxes to donate to the Home Ec teacher at the high school. The kids sew and quilt and can always use the supplies. I still have a long ways to go:)

Your sewing room will be lovely with those curtains.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  2:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Forgot one thing.....my room is getting a sign that says Nobody Gets to See the Wizard............

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  2:44:53 PM  Show Profile
LOL Marcia...I love that!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile
I took over the family room for sewing. The ironing board is alway up and at least two sewing machines. Fabric and quilt books are everywhere. It is a colorful mess and thank goodness my hubby puts up with it. Next home (dreaming here) I will have a separate studio. Yah, that's the ticket! I guess my need to spread out carries over from when I was young and we used the basement rec room. The ironing board never came down and the pool table was our cutting table. :-)

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  7:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - your comment about "it just seems right" is exactly the criteria I use to find a space to work on projects. I look for a place where I will want to sit and be in. Otherwise, I will subconsciously avoid it. Hence, nothing will get done.

We have an upstairs office/art room. It used to be my daughter's playroom/study, but now it is my husband's place to pay bills and my place to work on sewing and art projects. I have an antique oak drafting table that sits cattycorner in one corner of the room. The light in there is good, and the walls have been painted a warm red. Plus, it is upstairs, so no mess is in the dining and living room. Not that that matters, except I am a neat freak. I have baskets full of batting on the floor, one file cabinet full of supplies, an old potato bin full of fabric, and a comfy stool to sit on. Plus the computer desk lives in this room too! (I spend a lot of time here!)
jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 15 2005 7:40:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:29:25 PM  Show Profile
I have all my sewing stuff set up in the laundry room..which is a very big room so I get the space I need. If only it were a tidy room...haha
It is the coldest room in the winter and the hottest room in summer..big windows that look out to the back yard though, and a door out to the clothesline..can't beat that location in my opinion. I love to get away out there when I can. It is right off the family room, which is sort of the "kid zone" in my house..works out well. I made cute curtains for out there, but I am ready for a change. The walls are a way too sunny yellow (I inherited that when we moved in.) but it is cheerful!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  8:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Sewing rooms! Now there's a topic! My hubby and I live in a modest three bedroom house. The layout downstairs would not work if we had kids as there is no way to get from one room to the other without going through two others. About a year ago, we came to the conclusion that having three bedrooms ready for guests at any moment was silly. (The last time we had guests was about 18 months ago.) We thought long and hard and came up with using the smallest as our bedroom, and the two largest for a sewing studio for me and a library for us. (Darling hubby also has a complete woodshop in the 2 1/2 car garage, a tinkering shop in the basement, and is currently building an outdoor forge to practice blacksmithing. No I don't feel the least bit guilty.) It is the best decision we ever made!!!!!!!!!!!! We are both so much more relaxed and able to accomplish more as less time is spent taking out and putting away. I wouldn't trade my "space" for anything!

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

Lindy Reilley
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lindy
Fillmore California
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  10:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow, so cool - a room of our own!
My sewing room was charted out in the building process to be a shed for all the kids bikes, the lawnmower, blah blah...as building progressed we decided to put a second story on it for the kids "clubhouse". My sewing supplies and "projects" somehow ended up being on the first floor without a bike tire or blade of grass ever touching the floor. Our oldest daughter lived in the second story for awhile (more than 3 kids to a room gets crowded :})Once we finished the addition on our house, our daughter moved out of the shed (I had to say it, it was always so funny to see people's faces - "what?! your daughter lives in the shed?" -then I took over the second story of the shed!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:53:16 PM  Show Profile
My sewing "room" is in our dining room right now, I have my fabric, finished quilts, and half-finished quilts piled up on a wing-chair (quite a high pile, I must add), and my sewing machine gets put in a corner when not in use...I too long for a "room of my own" with a long table and lots of storage space....ahhh....to dream....

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  11:14:02 PM  Show Profile
I've been lucky enough to always have a sewing space in a separate room BUT had to share with hubby and his computer. When we moved into our new place I got to have the 3rd bedroom all to myself for sewing. I have my cutting table in one corner, a bookshelf to hold all my idea books and fabrics, and my sewing table next to the window so I can look out at the woods. It is heaven on earth! I'm so grateful to have my very own space.

Kay

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile
When I was a teenager I mostly sewed on my bedroom floor, operating the foot control with my knee. I made a lot of clothes and a patchwork quilt out of fabric from my mom's sewing stash (she was a seamstress).
Until recently I used my kitchen table or had to set up a card table, which I hated because it tended to vibrate all over the place when using the machine.
Finally my oldest moved out of the house and, although I still have a bed set up in that tiny room, I have my machine in a sewing machine cabinet and a small work table for cutting out (I also use for scrapbooking). I'm still short of storage space, so I need to find a small bookshelf. That will pretty much fill the room.
Still dreaming of a studio with a wall I can put up felt for designing quilt tops. (sigh).

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Victorielynn
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Vicki
Arizona
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
I had my sewing/craft room in a spare bedroom until my husband took it over for his "office" space. I am now in an unfinished space in the back of the house with lights stuck in odd places so I can see at night. My daughter helped me move my husbands tools to one side of the room so I could put up my sewing table and a cutting table. I hope to get his desk under control and have at least half of the spare bedroom back one day.

Victorie
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Our Sewing Rooms (or the space we sew in!) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page