Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Where fabric comes from
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Where fabric comes from Next Topic  

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  12:35:25 PM  Show Profile
I think I may have read it on another topic board. But I'm a bit confused as to why the lack of American made quilting fabric on the market? I see fabric of all different price points manufactured in other countries. I try to buy as much as I can made in the US, not just fabric, but everything we use and wear, but it seems to be getting more difficult all the time. I just can't justify purchasing fabric at 8.00 per yard at a quilt shop that hasn't been made here. I'm not getting a deal and I'm certain the workers who made it are not getting paid fairly.
Maybe this is too hot a topic, but I just needed to give my 2 cents worth.

Jana

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  12:52:30 PM  Show Profile
I think the WTO had a lot to do with almost nothing being manufactured in the US. Cheap labor and next to no overhead is the reason.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  4:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Taking production overseas is definitely cost effective now, due to unions and labor laws in the USA. So sad but so true. Offshore production is a fact of life, labor can be had at pennies per hour in other countries, and it will probably the undoing of America.
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Where fabric comes from Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page