True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  5:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmgals (and guys),

I just read the article about aprons and was wondering if I'm the only one who wears hats! I see Maryjane has more than one in her photos, and she looks great!

When I was little we had to keep our heads covered in church, and in general wore hats for the major holidays, esp. Easter. But I wore hats after they became passe, not to be in "style", but out of necessity. The sun really bothers me, and I find that through the years I don't look aged the way some other women who went hatless all these years.

Two years ago I decided to wear a hat to church again, and unfortunately I felt out-of-place, because I was the only one wearing one. I sure got noticed though, esp. by the men, which didn't make me to popular with the women (oh, we can be B-a-d to each other, can't we?). Anyway, does anyone else wear hats? gardening hats, dressy hats, etc. and for yourself? Just wondering if I'm out-of-touch with the "fashion world" or just a trend setter?

cecelia

ce's farm

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  7:20:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cecilia, I would love to wear hats, but they won't stay on my head! I have very thick hair and they just kind of work their way up and off my head, Plus if the odd one will stay on, they are hot for me...very strange!!! So, as an alternative I wear a visor to shade my eyes and face somewhat and try to keep my neck covered otherwise. I too have not 'fried' myself in the sun and look considerably younger than my peers because of it. Taking care of one's skin is very important, not just for looks but for health concerns too. I try to get my natural vitamin D in short spurts so as to not burn.

Regarding hats for fun: I knew a lady who each summer had a "Mature Woman's Tea". All who were invited had to wear a hat, that was the price of admission, and to dress as fancily wierd as their hearts desired. You should have seen some of the girls expressing themselves with their outfits! How fun! I think we generally overlook zany fun things like this. We need to play more! ~ Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  08:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
I adore hats. Unfortunately, they don't adore me! When I take one off my hair, which is very curly, looks mashed and awful. So the only ones I wear regularly are ball caps on the days my hair looks bad anyway!

But, maybe I'll start wearing some of my straw hats again. At the moment they simply hang on the hall tree as decoration. Of course, up here on the prairie, I'll need to add a strap. Otherwise, they'll be in Kansas by nightfall!

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Bronwyn
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Bronwyn
San Martin California
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Ah, yes. The problem heads, the hair, the heat. What's a farmgirl to do?
Trendsetter, trendleader or true to yourself farmgirl? I would say you are all of the above. I love hats and most of them don't love me (I can get headaches from tehm if they are slightly too tight) but I keep trying. I, too, tend to go for the baseball caps but I am trying to go for wearing what I truly want rather than convience, so I am trying more hats again.
Straw does seem to be the most forgiving - any other recommendations?

Dream a little dream
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  5:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,

Thanks for your reply to my topic on hats! I love your "Mature Womens Tea" - a friend and I are planning for a bridal shower tea party for my widowed aunt, age 62, who is getting married in July! We were trying to find ideas for games for "mature ladies" - we're all over 50, and I like your idea of hats, etc. I thought we would not mention anything ahead of time, but keep a list of what everyone is wearing to our tea (hats, gloves, etc.) and see who is the most "tea party appropriate". And to Bronwyn, yes, I guess I'm feeling more free to be true to myself as I get older and wiser!

Dreaming my dreams, who cares about the hair!!! Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  12:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
I remember something a more mature lady told me once about collecting tea cups and saucers and dessert plates. These were of very fine china and she generally gets only one set per pattern. Then she uses them all (mix and match) for holidays and other events. She mentioned having a "tea party" with everyone bringing their own cup and saucer and how much fun it was. Maybe you could do something like that, although you would have to mention it ahead of time.

Have fun!

pj

<We were trying to find ideas for games for "mature ladies" - we're all over 50, and I like your idea of hats, etc. I thought we would not mention anything ahead of time, but keep a list of what everyone is wearing to our tea (hats, gloves, etc.) and see who is the most "tea party appropriate". And to Bronwyn, yes, I guess I'm feeling more free to be true to myself as I get older and wiser!

Dreaming my dreams, who cares about the hair!!! Cecelia

ce's farm
[/quote]

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  2:18:58 PM  Show Profile
I do wear hats quite a lot, I don't like the sun in my eyes either. I have thin hair so they stay on pretty well. I don't know if they look good on me but I like them anyway. We used to go to Disneyland a lot (the kids were little and my husband works for the company so we get in free), and they sold really cute straw hats, so I collected quite few there, but my favorite hat is a felted one I knitted which I don't get to wear too much cause it's too warm here (always something to complain about! lol). The idea of a tea party is a fun one, that would be a great thing to do for summer solstice.
ta! Elizabeth
p.s. I'm currently boycotting Disney because they are censoring Michael Moore's new movie though.

joyously dancing through life

Edited by - ElizArtist on May 27 2004 2:20:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - May 29 2004 :  6:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Three Great Big Hurrah Cheers!!! for Elizabeth for-- "I'm currently boycotting Disney because they are censoring Michael Moore's new movie"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 29 2004 :  7:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Ditto from Clare... how dare they...

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  9:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi. I am new to the forum. Just loved your conversations about hats and aprons. I love to try hats on in the fancy department stores with my friends and daughter. Those wonderful hats with proper brims, veils and feathers! What fun! My mother in law just gave me some hats from the 50's/60's from her attic, and I have a couple of my mother's from the same era. I have just redecorated a guest room to fit me. "lavender". I plan to hang the hats on a wall as an arrangement in that room..I wore aprons when I was a little girl to do chores. My mother met with the ladies of her sewing club once a week, and one of the ladies made me four little aprons to match my mother's. I thought they were beautiful! When my husband's grandmother passed away many years ago, I received some of her linens. One treasure was a hand smocked, embroidered, gingham apron. The parties are a great idea!
Go to Top of Page

Alice Jackson
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Alice
Stayton OR
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  10:29:04 PM  Show Profile
I just love hats. I wear them all the time. I have mostly big brimmed hats because I have vitoligo, a skin condition that hates the sun. Anyway, even before this, I wore hats to work, shopping, everywhere. I love the attention I get from both men and women. I now make sure my hats all have ribbon or string to tie under my chin so the wind won't take it away. I would love to get a pattern to make sunbonnets to wear when I'm gardening. If anyone has one, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  11:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alice and welcome to Mary Janes Farm. Hope you enjoy your stay here! Here is a wonderful sunbonnet pattern online. I haven't tried it yet, but I think that I will! It looks easy and is very pretty!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1978_July_August/Make_Your_Own_Sunbonnet___in_Less_Than_Two_Hours

Be sure to click on "image gallery" for more photos of this sunbonnet and for the actual pattern.

Good Luck and let us know how your sunbonnets turn out. I wear hats outside too. I love big ole Panama straw type hats and wide brim hats, but I think I'm going to try one of these sunbonnets.

Again, Welcome,
Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Jul 08 2006 11:23:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  11:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! This is so timely and perfect! My Bishop's wife called me tonight to see if she could borrow a "pioneer type sunbonnet". It made me feel good that she just assumed I have one. I don't, but have always planned to make at least one. I think I will use this pattern and make one for me and for each of my girls. Just what we need!! Thanks for posting the link Aunt George!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  11:33:40 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome Aunt Jenny!
That is so nice that your Bishop's wife called you. You must be known as a true blue farmgirl through and through! Doesn't that just kinda make you feel warm and fuzzy that she just knew you had one? *g*

I think that I will make them for my little girls too....thanks for that idea. I know they would love them. Hmmm...I think I might just make them aprons to match their bonnets. I see them all the time in the antique shops....aprons and bonnets to match! We always use sunblock outside...SPF50 due to skin cancer in my family. My mother was diagnosed with malignant melanoma a few years ago. They were able to get it all, but....since we are all so fair skin, we stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Here is a link to a site where you can buy sunbonnet patterns that are historically accurate...as per the site. They look really nice too. Never ordered from them.
http://www.5rivers.org/en-gb/dept_16.html
Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Jul 08 2006 11:52:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  12:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I love to wear hats, fancy ones for dress-up times and such. I used to have quite a few when I was younger and you could still do it, but now it is not so common. But I say if you look good in them, then wear them!!! You know when I move back I think I will go buy some more!!!
Heres to wearing hats and feeling comfortable and/or beautiful!!!

Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  03:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Girls,
Funny we should be hat talking. Yesterday when we were down in Amish country, I was trying on a lot of bonnets made by the Amish, even some of the black ones. They are just too cute. Aunt george, aprons and bonnets to match, what another good idea. Would love to see what you come up with. Also saw that they had made doll clothes with aprons and bonnets to match the adults.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I've been looking into making some vintage 20s and 30s style cloche hats. I have a couple of patterns that look interesting. Do you think there's a market for this? I just love the look.

Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  12:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
we have so many hats at our house it is verging on ridiculas (sp?). we have a bout 20 hat boxs with 3 to 4 hats in each alot from 1920 - 1940 from my grandmother in law.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  10:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies
I was a Civil War reenactor for 5 years. While my husband worn a uniform and rode his horse I got to wear beautiful dresses with hoop skirts and bonnets or hats. I love "Dressing Up" But most of the time I wore work dresses called wrappers with aprons. A 19th century woman always wore an apron while working. Also the aprons didn't go around the neck they were pinned on at the upper corners. The wrapper is the most comfortable dress I've ever worn. I still wear the aprons and hats. Wish I had the courage to wear the gloves. Do a search for Civil War clothing, bonnets, aprons, etc. There is a huge assortment of sites.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  11:06:45 PM  Show Profile
First Georgann, thank you for the wonderful link!

For the last big outdoor craft show I did, I carried a huge vintage suitcaes filled with my wares, wore a vintage housedress, & a big straw hat to go with the theme. I personally thought I looked a little goofy, but towards the end of the day the artist who owns the property said he'd like to paint me, as I was "quite a picture"! This man is a nationally known artist, with I "assume" a decent eye. Well, never one to accept a compliment gracefully, I offered to let him use my glasses so he could better see his potential model! LOL I assure you I am no great beauty. And no, I didn't sit for the painting!
Last time I'll wear a silly hat!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  11:40:32 PM  Show Profile
You crack me up Rhonda!!!
Mary...how neat to do civil war reinactment!! I always thought that would be so fun!! I LOVE the style of dresses and aprons and all. I wish I were a gal who looked better in hats!! I have a big head and thick big hair that is long, and gosh..hats always look silly on me!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you know jenny I use to think hats looked silly on me to then one day my grandmother said no one looks silly in ahat it is a frame for the face and only brings out a persons beauty after that I had no problem wearing hats. Just think about it a little

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I love hats! In fact, I found some at the antique store in SLC...but they were "pill box" type and they dont sit on my head right....I heard of a tea room in the northeast that everyone gets to pick out a hat to wear during tea..I think I will borrow that idea~~!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I love the look of hats, but I have yet to find one my husband thinks looks good on me (other than a baseball cap!). I do have a red straw hat and a regular straw hat that I wear when I am out in the sun...the sun doesn't like me, either! But, with curly brown hair and fair skin, I will do what I have to do...no matter how I look!
Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:45:34 AM  Show Profile
I too love hats. Felt ones, straw ones. But I make a floppy brim hat, and them hand sew the brim up with a beautiful button. I give them as gifts. Years ago when I was working, I made all the girls in our office a hat for Christmas, and each one out of a fabric that they actually liked, ie, sunflowers, teddy bears, dots, and of course strawberries! We all got a kick out of it! I too, donate hat's on occassion for friends who have lost their hair due to cancer treatments. And they're great when your having a bad hair day! Enjoy!

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  3:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Gloria,
Your hats sound so cute! If you ever need some buttons I could send you some, always up for a good cause. You sure do keep busy.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic hats Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page