Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitters......what I'm working on right now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitters......what I'm working on right now Next Topic
Page: of 2

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  8:27:52 PM  Show Profile
and it's OK to have more than one project going :)

I'll start. I just finished a shawl from Sally Melville's second book of The Knitting Experience:The Purl Stitch. I made the shawl from Cascade 220 wool in a creamy white for my DD to wear on her Alaskan Wedding cruise/honeymoon. Now I've started 2 different things in the same day....A sleevless top from her first book out of a cotton ribbon yarn and a shrug from a vintage pattern made out of alpaca--that stuff is SO Soft. And of course I'm always making socks. I love those things.
Next?

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  9:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I always have a pair of socks going too..the ones I am almost done with (about 2 more inches of foot and the toe on second sock) are so pretty...the self striping type sock yarn in shades of browns and greys. 75%superwash wool and 25%polymide. They will be for my friend LuAnn who has been so much help with my goats while I spent the two weeks unable to milk them!!
I always have a dishcloth going..the one i am doing now is sugar and cream cotton yarn in sort of red white and blue..but more dark..like navy, maroon and cream. I always have 5 or 6 balls of cotton yarn waiting and just cast on a new one when I finish the last..love having them on hand for gifts to give with my handmade soaps.
I really want to make something bigger soon..havn't come upon the project yet. I dream about a throw all knit with my handspun yarn with a border of little sheep in fair isle..at least some from every sheep I have or have had in the past. That would be fun..someday!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  8:48:08 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about the sock yarns. I love them. Which sock yarn or yarns do you like the best so far? I've done some with Regia and I liked it pretty well...I think I did the Broad Ripple socks out of that. Right now what I'm using is Trekking...the first time for this one. The colors are beautiful. I'd have to say my personal favorite is Lorna's Laces. I have 2 or 3 pair of my own out of that and they are so soft and stay that way.

Dishcloths are fun. That's how I taught my 2 daughters how to knit.

And speaking of knitting, I'd better get to work:)

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  11:01:16 PM  Show Profile
I like Regia too..the socks I am knitting now are in Cervinia by lane.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  12:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
I am really new to this message board so please bear with me. I love to sew, quilt and crochet but can not knit at all, does anyone at all know of a video that can be bought on how to knit? I have tried buying direction books and I feel like a dancer with two left feet Im never getting anywere! Please Help Palm Springs California (Area)
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  10:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Robin,
I just did a search---Learn to Knit---the first website listed was knittingpretty.com. It looks like there is a video or DVD and a kit available.

Marcia

Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  8:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Robin, try taking a hands on class at a local yarn shop. You can look up local yarn shops on the internet or in the phone book. I am a very visual person myself and was taught by my laft-handed grandmother. We sat opposite each other at the kitchen table and I mirrored her hand motions. It worked though as I learned to knit and crochet this way.

WIP's (Works in Progress) are a summer top, three pairs of socks in varios stages of doneness, an irish knit sweater for my little boy, a warm hat made of sock yarn cast on with waste yarn knit one hat, then pick up the stitches on the cast on side and knit another hat, it looks like a reversible hat when you are done, very cute for the kids. Sldo two or three baby blankets (crocheted) and two afghans (crocheted). That's a lot. I didn't realize I had that many things going until I started to think about them for this email. Well, I won't get bored with any one that's for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  06:51:41 AM  Show Profile
LOL Kathy.....you're as bad as I am. I've added one more thing since my last list. I started a lace sampler scarf. I also have a baby blanket or two to make this summer for my knitters group donation to the Pregnancy Care Center. Maybe I should get to work on that......................

Marcia

Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marcia,

I'm working hard to finish the summer top, finishing up the shoulders of the front, then putting it all together. I have some wonderful yarns that are wanting to be made into something, most likely summer tops, tank styles, no real pattern just my measurements and a swatch. I have a store-bought knit top I love and am modeling after it. I got some great cotton blended yarn on ebay and can't wait to cast on with it. I started a swatch last night while watching television. I wish I could sleep like most people but I am only able to get about 3-4 hours. So, I like to stay busy.
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  04:31:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on a Norwegian style ski sweater for my husband. I'm almost up to the shoulders and then I will *CUT* ( gasp!) steeks into my knitting to insert the sleeves. Have not done this before. A photo of sweater body is on my blog at http://mossbackmeadow.blogspot.com/.

I love to look at the patterns on knitty.com. I have a stash of cotton yard to make a ballet wrap style sweater shown there, but am trying not to start more than one big project at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  10:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Your sweater is going to be so pretty!!! I have only made one adult size sweater..for my 6'4" grown son, and several child size cardigans. I havn't attempted a norwegian style yet..but sure love the look! I love to look at the patterns at Knitty.com too and have recently printed out some finger puppet patterns I found there to make for almost 3 year old granddaughter.
Kathy..I can relate to the not being able to sleep..I have the same problem. Late at night is when I am most productive. BUT...I am not very chipper in the mornings..wish I could be more of a morning person. I have finally, after fighting it for years and years and years (I am 46) decided that it is just the way I am and I accept it, and don't try to make myself sleep and waste time laying there doing nothing wide awake..I just do what I want as late as I want until I feel sleepy..usually about 1am sometimes later.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile
The sweater is going to be very pretty. I've never done one like that either. I think I'd be afraid to cut it! I also like to browse throuhg knitty.com when I have time.

I'm still plugging away at the same things I've been working one. I did finish one sock yesterday (on the way to DS driving test) and started the second sock. Maybe I'll go with my husband in the truck this weekend so I can get it finished.:)

I can relate to staying up late and working on things. I like it when it's so quiet and peaceful and everybody else is sleeping. I'm definitely not a morning person. One of the Doc's in surgery told me once that it didn't seem to matter what time I got up I didn't wake up until 10:00. He was so right!

Happy knitting all,
Marcia

Go to Top of Page

Rosebud
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lisa
IA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  10:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! I'm new here but had to check in regarding knitting projects. I always have at least 4 or 5 projects going. Current list includes an eyelash scarf for my daughter, a wool scarf, a prayer ministry shawl, a Harris Shetland wool lace shawl and a handspun Tasha Tudor style tippit shawl. Always something at hand!

PSouper ~ I keep reading about doing steeks but have been terrified to try it! Do let us know how it turns out!

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. H.D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  6:34:22 PM  Show Profile
I have been thinking about doing a tasha tudor style shawl lately...I have some grey handspun and some charcoal color too (both Iclandic) that I could use..hmmmmm

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  7:33:40 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- could you share your pattern for knitting socks? I do lots of dishcloths with the Sugar and Cream yarn. My son-in-law does the kitchen cleanup at night and he request new dishcloths every Christmas!! I'd love to surprise them with socks in their sock this year.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  7:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I just found this link when looking up sock patterns on the internet. It's a sock calculator for hand or machine knitting to make your socks in different sizes.

http://www.panix.com/~ilaine/nsocks.html

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  10:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Kay...I use a sock pattern from "Homepun Handknit"...lets see...I will type it out for you..I made some changes...the ribbing on the pattern I used (it is called family socks and has a bunch of sizes) goes right down to the top of the heel flap and I like a couple inches of stockinette first..I almost never do the stripes the way they do..but do my own thing..I do love the simple way this pattern does the heel though. Remind me if I don't get it to you tomorrow..I am forgetful/busy.
I am knittng on a dishcloth tonight in sort of patriotic colors..navy dark red and off white...I like the sugar and cream yarns too..have quite a stash of them..and use them for all my dishcloths.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  06:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Hello!

I hope everyone will post pictures of their projects now and then. I love to see what other knitters are doing. When I first moved from Texas to the Midwest, I was the only knitter I knew. Very lonely! I taught everyone who would let me including a hospital patient who was undergoing some intense therapy and fellow passenger (male!) who was stuck in the Denver Airport with me and 187 other antsy people.

Last Christmas I gave everyone on my list a throw blanket knitted from Noro Silk Garden. It was kinda hard to give them up because the colors were so fabulous. The Christmas before every girl, young and old, got a scarf knitted from eyelash yarn in their favorite color. This year my fiance is getting a ragwool sweater. thought I'd never be finished with that one - chest size 48! (I know, I know...you're never supposed to knit a sweater for a man you are not married to because supposedly, he'll leave you. I'm not the least bit superstitious.)

It occurred to me that I haven't knit anything for myself in ages. SO, I treated myself to some baby pink "Jade Sapphire" Cashmere to knit a soft throw for myself. If I feel like taking a break, I knit catnip mice for my two kitties.

Lucinda
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  08:30:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on a shawl for my mom. The wool "sheeps grey" lace weight two-ply from Rovings, the only (I think) importer of Polwarth wool in North America. It is marvelously soft, has a beautiful lustre, and felts wonderfully, too. They're located in Winnipeg, Canada, where I visited family last summer. The pattern is from Fiber Trends, the Pacific Northwest Shawl, designed by Evelyn A. Clark. I am nearly finished, just working on the shell edging at the very bottom, then I have to do an I-cord edging at the neck edge. It is beautiful. You can see the pattern here:
http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/patterns/S2000.html
This is coming out so so pretty, and it's very simple. Just yarn overs and knit 2 togethers in garter stitch. I love how it is designed in the traditional way, too, with no cast on edge, and no bind off edge, so everything is nice and stretchy.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  09:00:03 AM  Show Profile
That sounds so pretty Annie...and what a neat pattern..I like that alot!
I am just keeping cotton dishcloths going right now..have been sewing more than knitting lately..always have a pair of socks going in my bag in the car (the "waiting somewhere" project) I need to get my spring wool washed and carded and plan to do some spinning this fall for nice yarns to knit with all winter. I have visions of a throw with wool from all of my sheep (and former sheep too)

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  12:00:09 PM  Show Profile
A sheep shearer in my mom's neck of the woods saved five fleeces and GAVE them to me. How do you wash them? I'm going to visit my mom soon and want to get them cleaned up while I'm there. These are grey fleeces, so I won't be dying them, and they don't have to be totally grease-free. I just want them ready to spin this winter.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  1:21:50 PM  Show Profile
I do about a five gallon bucket full at a time....
I fill the bucket (sitting in the big sink in the laundry room, but have done it in the bathtub too) with hot water and about 3 times the amount of laundry soap you would use in a large load of laundry..stir it around to get it dissolved really well (I like to use liquid laundry soap for this) and then gently push the wool down into the water until you have put in all that you can keep wet at once. Let it soak for about an hour (the water will still be very warm) and then lift the wool, without squeezing (to prevent felting) into an empty bucket with holes in the bottom if possible to drain some, or into any dishpan or bucket letting the yucky (it will be dark brown and smelly) water run off as much as you can. Then when all the wool is out fill your bucket the same way again..with water the same temp as you poured off (you don't want to shock the wool with big temp changes) and let soak for an hour again..I repeat this several times ...never running water over the wool or sqeezing it or agitating it, just soaking and gently lifting it out until it is as clean as I want it. Then I put the wool in smallish amounts...about 1/2 a pillowcase full....in an old pillowcase and rubberband the top closed...and put two of these at a time in the washing machine and set it at spin only (no water spraying on it while spinning) and spin out alot of the water left in the wool..it is amazing how much comes out! Then set to dry on racks or screens in the sunshine. I use two plastic produce tray/rack things that my son got for me years ago when he worked at a grocery store...before that I used a rack that my husband made with rabbit wire and a wood frame...it was huge and cumbersome..the racks are a better size. If it is bad weather you can put the rack or screen on the edges of two kitchen chairs near a woodstove or heater vent. Turn the wool over once or twice and make sure it is throroughly dry before storing. I like to spray a little lavender essential oil over mine before storing...smells great and restores a little of the oil that gets washed out.
Have fun with your wool..that is great!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  1:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! This sounds a lot easier than I was imagining. I guess small batches are the way to go to prevent insanity. I'm sure my daughter will loooove to help with this. The lavender oil sounds good.. I've heard that the smell of it also helps keep moths away--or am I thinking of a different scent?

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  5:29:25 PM  Show Profile
Thats what I have heard too...and I just love lavender!!
I have tried washing a whole fleece at once (from a big sheep too) and oh my gosh...dealing with that much wet wool at once was a chore! I sort of just cut it down and usually I can do it in two or three batches this way, depending on the size of the fleece. What breed is the wool from that you have? Grey sounds nice..I don't have a grey sheep right now.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  5:58:37 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what breed. My mom might remember. Even if it's really rough, scratchy stuff, it will still make great slippers!
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  7:12:32 PM  Show Profile
THat is true!! If you ever need more spinning fleece I always have some extra around that I will give you to try.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitters......what I'm working on right now Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page