CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Got a wonderful book in an antiques shoppe yesterday .. The Good Old Days .. An Invitation to Memory ... "This stirring collection of stories, reminiscences, and beautiful illustrations re-creates a treasured way of life that has all but disppeared: the good old days of the family farm and its nearby village.

Here is rural America before the gasoline engine and the industrialization of agriculture brought about by economic and social revolution in farming.

Here are the toil and hardship, the rewards and pleasures of threshing time and harvets, rabbit hunting, bringing in the cows, summer chores and stocking the winter woodpile, spring planting, and stream fishing.

And here, too, are all the insttutions and events that were a vital pat of rural life: the sringhouse and root cellar; the village with its cuontry store, smith,livery and feed; the county fair, with it s balloon ascension; the forth of July parade, the traveling medicine and store wagon; the one-room school and the McGuffey reader; dirt roads and covered bridges; courtship, marriage and the family cemetary.

The is a 1960 edition .. but if you can find it .. it is a good read!!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  11:21:14 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really interesting. I love stuff like that. My children are going to do a land run celebration for their school and I need to make up some outfits for them. I'm excited.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. "Take out the weeds from some wild spot, remove each stone that shows, plant seeds of friendship good and deep, and tend the plant that grows." Mary Freeman Startzman
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rebecca...we used to the land run thing when I was a kid there. I remember the teachers used to chalk out the state of OK outside in the red dirt and we used to take our wagons all decked out. Oh, man that brings back memories. Glad to know they still do that.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm looking forward to it so much! When I was a little girl, Daddy made me a covered wagon! I was so excited.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. "Take out the weeds from some wild spot, remove each stone that shows, plant seeds of friendship good and deep, and tend the plant that grows." Mary Freeman Startzman
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  3:23:08 PM  Show Profile
tell us about 'land runs' ,, i've never heard of them??? (i was born and raised in washington, d.c. ... city girl!)

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic THE GOOD OLD DAYS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page