Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 A Featherweight for me!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A Featherweight for me! Next Topic  

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  09:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I rarely check out CraigsList, but happened to last week and a gal in Reno was selling a Singer Featherweight. She held it until yesterday for me, making some buyers who I'm sure would have bought it to resell mad. The case needs some TLC, but the machine is fine and has a crazillion attachments and feet. All the gold scrollwork is still intact and so pretty. She found it in the shed of the house she recently bought-no telling how long it's been out there. Thankfully, this being the desert, it wasn't all moldy and mildew. Booklets are a bit musty, but will be fine after they're aired out. She had war ration paperwork, so I know the name, etc of the lady who owned it. She was born in 1901; I'm going to try to find out when she died and any other info. Oh.....the asking price.....$100 and I paid it gladly. Anyone who has checked on eBay knows they go for about $300 up. This lady knew, but since it didn't cost her a dime, she was happy with her asking price. Wahooo, what a find!
Ronna

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  09:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Ronna....you lucky girl!! I keep searching Craigslist for a bargain like this one. The only thing on the list in our area area few old 1960's singers.......I'm so happy for you.......(translation: jealous) LOL.....Oh, please post photos when you can of this grand old dame!! Is yours electified or treadle?

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Feb 21 2007 09:58:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile
What a steal!! I have my great-grandmother's Featherweight. It's in need of a good cleaning and a tune-up right now. I lost the case when we had our fire in 2000. It was in the attic and it had plastic stuck to it and half of it was charred. I should look on the Internet to see if someone just has a case.
Have fun with your "new" machine. They sew like a dream!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I got my featherweight a few years ago on Ebay. They are such a hot commodity now, huh? I drag that thing all over the place--to classes, on trips, and everywhere I plan to sew that is not home. I even set it up on the coffee table in the living room when I want to watch tv and sew (dh loves this!)

Enjoy your treasure! I have to buy a new case. Mine is falling apart. They make the heavy canvas ones now and I think that is what I will get so I can carry it to classes.
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I have a 1952 Centenial Model I wouldn't mind getting rid of. I have way to many toys! Have had it serviced, oiled, sews great, extra bobbins, new book and great black carrying case. Email if you have questions, or want it or anything other. Been out of touch lately - sew many quilts sew little time. I'm working on MJ's second redwork quilt now!

Thanks, happy sewing, fondly, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  3:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Berries,
So Happy to see your post!!!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  7:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
The cases go for about $40 on ebay, don't know what the newer canvas type ones cost. I have a brand new still in the box Bernina Artista 730, need to get sewing and quilting and make use of the machines. I know the Featherweights are like gold for classes, retreats, etc.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I think the newer ones are about 40 or 50 dollars. Have yet to order it. I carry mine by the bottom when I go to classes because it could all fall apart any time now. I better get on that one!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A Featherweight for me! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page