Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quck question for embroiderers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quck question for embroiderers Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:56:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to embroider a set of 7 Days of the Week dishtowels and am stuck. One of my grandma's taught me to embroider when I was a little kid, but I've forgotten much of what she told me. I remember the basic stitches, though, thank goodness.

Anyway, I'm confused about when to use the outline stitch as opposed to the backstitch. Several ladies I know who embroider have told me they never use the outline stitch. But I wondered if I should use it to outline the girl's dress & anything else.

In a nutshell, I guess, my question is -- Do you use the outline stitch and, if so, for what things?

Thanks, ladies, for any help you can give me.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  11:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Patti,
It's really up to you. Years ago, outline or stem stitch were used mostly. You would rarely find a pattern or kit that used back stitch. It was generally resereved for hand sewing garment seams.
Now, with the more primitive country look, you will find more items in gift stores and the like with back stitch being used. Part of the this, I think, is from the use of back stitch in counted cross stitch patterns (you can't use outline stitch in counted thread work) which have been so popular the last couple decades.
It all depends on the effect you want. Outline stitch will be more solid and raised looking and backstitch will be finer, more "sketchy" looking and flat to the fabric. You might try a sample of a few inches before you start your project.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  11:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jana. Both your explanation & suggestion made sense. I sometimes can't believe how something is so crystal clear after someone suggests it (like practicing both to see which I like better)! Sometimes I don't have, as my German grandfather said, "the sense God gave a goose"

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  12:00:50 PM  Show Profile
ya know, i have never used the outline stitch, just the backstitch. but now i am thinking about trying the outline stitch..just to see if i like it better.

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  5:35:46 PM  Show Profile
I use both...but the outline stitch more.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  7:27:23 PM  Show Profile
I generally use a backstitch because I have always had difficulty getting the outline stitch to stay nice and neat, especially around curves.

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quck question for embroiderers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page