goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  9:41:11 PM  Show Profile
I have posted this in other sections of this forum but I'm a long haul truck driver and get to see the US and get paid for it. We go on backroads sometimes but mainly stick to the interstates. However, once in a while we have to take secondary roads and see some interesting sites.

I don't seem to be able to settle down just yet so trucking is ideal for my hubby and me. I'm truly afraid that when I get old (I'm 50 as we speak) that I'll regret not doing something so away we go.

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:08:12 PM  Show Profile
Winona,

I also love taking back roads -- years ago friends of the family would call any dirt or gravel roads they saw "Karin Roads" because they knew I'd want to take them. My dad was always good about taking interesting ways to get places and I inherited my love of backroading from him. Years ago I was drawn to the forests and mountains of nearby northern Idaho and northeastern Washington but nowadays I find more peace and solitude while driving a lonely stretch of farm road in the Palouse country to the south or in the Columbia Basin.

I miss those days when my family would drive cross country to my grandparent's (we drove from eastern WA State to western New York every other year). I miss those days when I, many times by myself, drove across the country (from here to Maine thirty years ago, to Virginia and back two years in a row (1984-5), to New York State in 1988, and back across the county in 1989 with my then husband). Now days I drive to and from work (60 miles roundtrip) and around northern Idaho on a bookmobile during work. I still drive a lot and sometimes feel burned out. But what I wouldn't give for another drive across the country...

Yes. I, too, have wanderlust -- and always will, I think.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  07:27:31 AM  Show Profile
I love to drive long distances with nary a stop too. There is a stretch of road in TX that I can drive and it's pretty to me. Also in NE.

I live outside of K Falls myself and Oregon is starting to really grow on me.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Me and the DH call ourselves gypsies- we can't seem to stay in one place for more than 2 years. We both wandered a lot when we were younger and it has continued on. I just love living in different places environments, lifestyles as related to the area. I love road trips and just driving, stopping where ever to take a rest and eat. I think we both joined the military to satisfy part of this strong urge. ;)
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  07:48:15 AM  Show Profile
We usually try to get off the interstate when we can -- there's a really nice stretch of Route 66 between here and Victorville that we take a lot. Planning to do so this next move (April CA-KS)- although it prob won't be far off since 66 parallels I40 in many places.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic A wanderlust that won't quit... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page