lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  08:42:08 AM  Show Profile
I would love to see more of the bulding projects(I am a little biased because it's something I enjoy doing). I loved the section in MJ's book and our chapter even made the outdoor chandelier. I was so excited to find a roll of it at an estate sale!! Anyway, it would be fun to have a "trash to treasure" style book. I have been making and selling(and keeping some)this sort of stuff for about four years now. I usually pick up an old chair, dresser, table that everyone else passes up and it's usually really cheep. I take it home and try to fix it up or reinvent it if I have to. My husband is a big help with som of this. I just bought a little antique washtand looking dresser for 6.00. The top was split and coming off, the mirror was trashed, and it was missing 2 of the 3 drawers. I brought it home and "worked it over with wood glue, sanding and nails. I then put shelves in with wood I had on hand where the drawers were missing. I plan to line shallow baskets with fabric and slide in the shelves. I put the mirror supports and frame back together and I plan to make a fabric note board in place of a mirror. You could also make a chalkboard. I plan to sell it as an catch-all entry table( or anywhere you like). A lot of times if we have a sale coming up and don't have a lot of money we go down to the shed and dig around in the wood and trim that we have on hand. We make all sorts of things with that stuff: frames, flower boxes, signs, benches, etc. I would love to see ideas around using objects you might already have on hand and laying around your barn or garage.

Sorry for being so long winded, I just get so excited about this stuff. It's my "art".

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

amaron
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

12 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  12:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi!
I was on a round robin for the Premiere issue and, I have to say, I enjoyed reading about my fellow farmgirls almost as much as I enjoyed the Premiere issue. Is there a possibility of taking all the entries from the round robins and publishing it somehow. It would be neat to have the artwork and handwritten entries appear just as they were in the journal. I know the forum is a great place to "meet" other farmgirls, but having something physical to hold (i.e. a book with so many life stories and pictures) c an be such a comfort and inspiration. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  1:30:49 PM  Show Profile

Amaron ~ MaryJane and all of us here have LOVED seeing the beautiful journal entries. I agree, the journal was the best part! I sent out 30 Premiere's and journals to over 450 farmgirls at heart. There are still 25 magazines and journals out there traveling! Your idea is wonderful and definitely food for thought. I have 5 journals here at the farm and have shown them to the farmgirls who visited our Farm Fair this July. You all are welcome to visit the farm and enjoy the journals. I wish that everyone lived close enough to do so!
sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  12:35:45 AM  Show Profile
CindyLou,

Is there a list I can sign up on for an opportunity to read the premiere issue?

I'd really like to now as I've been reading MJ's book. I've been reading it all day long even took it to work with me these past two days. That's why I havent posted. It's wonderful. I'm saving up to get the back issues of the magazine.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  1:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning Farmgirls!!

MaryJane is pleased to announce that you can now sign up to be on our mailing lists for all the various Farmgirl Connection projects … from traveling aprons, books, buttons, charm squares, dolls, and quilts to sharing mail art, birthdays and recipes.

We’re now ready and willing to gather up all your mailing lists for these projects and manage them here at the farm. Just click on the “Sign up for Farmgirl Connection Projects” link from the Farmgirl Connection opening page to see descriptions of all the traveling projects.

Sign up for the projects that suit your fancy. Send your physical address, e-mail address and phone number to the list you are interested in joining. You'll hear back from Kate with all the particulars. While we monitor the lists for privacy and safety, all you farmgirls at heart can turn your energies toward creativity!

I know there is some confusion, as the mailing lists were started on the forum and are now managed here at the farm. If you’re curious to know if you’re already on a list, please contact Kate@maryjanesfarm.org and she’ll be happy to check for you. Take it Kate! …

---------
Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Kate Edwards and I’m a new member of the MaryJanesFarm crew (oh how exciting!!). I grew up just north of Spokane in a little town called Riverside with my Mom (Teri), Dad (Steve) and little sis (Allie). After high school I went to Eastern Washington University, where I studied Communications. Throughout my life, I’ve always been the kind of person to follow life’s little paths wherever they decide to take me, and this past spring my path took an exciting turn. I was introduced to MaryJane’s son, Emil, at my mom's spring antique show (The Farm Chicks Antique Show and Open Marketplace). The next thing I knew, my weekends were full of visiting the farm in Moscow to see my new boyfriend (oh how fun it is to be a girl!!). Then just this past week, MaryJane offered me the delightful job of organizing the mail lists for all the fun farmgirl projects on the forum and to run MaryJane’s Bed & Breakfast. I couldn’t pass it up!! What an amazing dream this has all become. Now that you all know a little about me, it's time for me to learn all about you. Can't wait to chat with you all soon!!
---------

Other new forum features:

We’ve added a section for Farmgirl Chapters on our website. Our new web features allow you to sign up to Start a Chapter, do a Chapter Search to find and communicate with neighboring chapters, read a recent Newsletter, sign up for a Traveling Journal, and attend a Farmgirl Campout Convention. We’ll also be able to add new pages as new ideas are created.

The Farmgirl Connection is continuing to grow by leaps and bounds thanks to Clare, Eileen and all the fabulous farmgirls at heart that are gathered here! The strong ties of friendship are held together by all our apron strings!! Thank you all for participating in the Farmgirl Connection!

Sunnily yours,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  6:24:46 PM  Show Profile
just discovered maryjane's book .. haven't seen the magazines .. yet ... so, perhaps this is in the mags .. but i would love to see 'farmgirls' and their farms and pastimes and interests, etc. etc. featured from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  4:49:24 PM  Show Profile

Hi Frannie! MaryJane does include such articles in her magazines.
You might also check out the new blog sites that several of the forum farmgirls have started. They share their story, pictures and all that is of interest on the sites they've created.
Go back to All Forums. Scroll down to Across the Fence which brings up a long list of topics. Scroll all the way down to LisaBee's topic ~ "I've started my own blog site!"
You'll meet some creative farmgirls at heart there!
Welcome to the Farmgirl Connection!!
Sunnily yours,

Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  6:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Gals,

I think a great topic for book or catazine would be FARM GIRL REPAIR PROJECTS. On my 5 acre "farmette", I need to rechink my log house in spots after 5 years of settling, to repair a metal roof that leaks, to repair an asphalt shingle roof on our New England style barn, to plug up holes that birds have made under my eaves as they have tried to bore holes in for refuge, to scrap paint and repaint windows, and to fix fence, and to evaluate a woodstove that has a brick side that is cracked in the interior of the stove. It is always something and if you don't keep up, it's bad news and not the way you want your property to be cared for. And our Montana winters are nothing to sneeze at. I'd like to read some issues or articles in books about repair as a farmgirl does repair and MaryJane certainly is an example of that with her well remembered "drop" into her forestry job with her homemade toolcase. Yep, let's have some articles about repair! Thanks, Cindylou. From Kathylou, holding down a small town in Montana.

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Oops. It was suppose to say, Holding down "the fort" in a small town in Montana. Cheers, Kathylou

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  3:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Note: This post was moved from Across the Fence/Farmgirl Posse. See posts that it refers to at http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2417&whichpage=3.

These ideas are fantastic. I just love the creativity of farmgirls! It makes me want to drop everything and get started on every one of Katie's ideas. Actually, I've had my son working on Christmas ornaments made from cans for about six months now. He has about 40 made. Meg and I were able to show them off on a Seattle TV station last month. And we've been playing with some ornaments made from spoons. But that's as far as we've gotten with our idea of a hand-made Christmas, but Katie, you just filled up the rest of our next "Make It Easy" book. And Patricia, YES! write up one of her ideas and send it my way. Katie, I'll make sure I dedicate the book to you!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane, I think it would be great to have a round robin story on farmgirl ideas for "homemade" presents. We already have a thread on it and I can contact the girls, put their ideas into a story form (with credits, of course) and send it to you. OK?

Ladies, anyone who wants to contribute, please let me know. This is gonna be fun. Woo hoo! Farmgirls rule!!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane, Thanks for your kind words about my ideas. Junebug deserves credit for coming up with the Farmgirl holiday primer . . . I just had ideas popping around in my head as I was stirring dinner!

Here's a couple more items -- wreath of barbed wire -- I saw that once and simply loved it. Also holiday aprons! I love the really long style for the holidays -- some of the girls are making those to go over long dresses and they are fab. Also Christmas/holiday embroidery patterns for doing pillowcases/shams and the like.

Oh, this is fun!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  06:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Isn't dinner a great place to stir ideas?! We'll play around with your wreath idea and let you know how it turns out. There certainly is plenty of barbed wired laying around that begs to be of use again. Patricia, if you have energy for gathering up those ideas, that sounds marvelous. Maybe they could fit into our "Artists in Aprons" upcoming issue. It certainly is that gift-making time of year again. I'm watching the sun rise surrounded by bird feeders made from junk caches found around the farm--all of them the creative genius of a local farmgirl (she used plenty of discarded wire contraptions). I've taken photos of them for a someday book. Reuse, make-do, can-do, will-do! I can't wait to show you...
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  10:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Maryjane, is there a deadline on this project, or some kind of target date? Thanks, P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Maybe January for a target date???? And Junebug, it can be in honor of you too!!! Now we just have to get it done. When, I don't really know....not before this Christmas, that's for sure.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, your a doll, THANKS!!!! Anyway I can help, just hollor! Patricia, count me in!

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  8:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Love this idea gals! Don't forget to provide some simple ideas for making holiday cards and some down home ways to wrap gifts!

Patricia, I cannot email from this forum, but I would like to help with your round robin idea!

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 04 2005 8:31:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Gotcha, Junebug. Could you email me with your ideas for handmade gifts and let me know if there's a chance of a photo or drawing to go with it? (a kind of 'how to'). Thanks!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  8:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the target date, MaryJane. P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  8:11:32 PM  Show Profile
I just saw this and thought it would be an excellent place to tell you about the new way to present gifts in a reusuable way. Get old paint cans and make sure that they are cleaned out properly. Next, take 3 inch strips of the 12x12 scrapbooking paper and put them around the can. You can use a pattern paper per holiday and then matching solid prints. You will place them on the can with glue. Make sure to use a sealant on the outside like you use for ducoplage (mispelled) to seal the paper. Next on the lid, cut a circle and put a design for the holiday. I made one with a white circle with black circles for eyes and mouth, orange nose, and there you have a snowman! On the lid, take pieces of ribbon and tie them around with a single knot so that they stick straight out. You'll have to have several pieces of spare ribbon. Now it is ready to store many things.

Uses for these cans:
* Place wedding cards for a wedding reception or shower or for a baby shower
* Gifts for exchanges
* Candy dish
* Office supply holder (rulers, scissors, etc)
* Flower holder

One of my coworkers made one and I fell in love. You can also get the cans that are already empty at hardware stores. Just another way to use that can...or even coffee cans!

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Something I wish MaryJane would make is those large canvas tote bags for grocery shopping, maybe with her cute farmgirl logo on it. I have plastic grocery bags all over the place and I try to reuse them and I do take the paper ones back but the wear out and there not as cute as Maryjane bag would be. My grandma makes really cute bag holders for those plastic bags out of tea towels. Think about all the waste they create. Great ideas so far girls, Aubrey
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  6:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps all the stitchers can be "contracted out" to make the canvas bags. OR a swap can be started where the bags can be made according to measurment guidelines and each farmgal can embroider, quilt, paint, bedazzle, etc... the bag and send it on to a farmgal. HHMmmmmm maybe I'll put some brain cells to workin' on that.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:02:38 PM  Show Profile
I love those large grocery bags too..and never have enough. I know I would buy some maryjanes farm ones...or farmgirl business ones for sure. I have one of those plastic bag holders in my kitchen too, Aubrey...bought it at a craft fair last summer..it is really cute..all John Deere like my kitchen. And I use them each several times, but I still would rather have more canvas bags..that WOULD be cool

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  8:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey, you guys! That's what my Snackeesacks are! I'll be posting photos of them plus other stuff I'm making for sale as soon as I get the photos back, probably tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile
I love bags! And I was just thinking about ordering some canvas bags for groceries BUT I will hold off to see if any of our seamstresses can come up with any.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Post your ideas here Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page