junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  11:47:36 AM  Show Profile
I too would LOVE to see a whole book devoted to organic gardening, not just veggies, which feeds our families, but flowers that feed our souls and herbs which feed our senses. I love the book, can't put it down, if only the magazine came out more often, it's SO hard to wait on only 2 copies a year! I also think a article on Mail art which is growing in numbers daily should be told, the shear pleasure of retrieving the mail to find a handcrafted piece of art by a fellow farmgirl is such a simple yet forgotten art.

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile
hey all! kathylou i agree lawns are a waste of time and energy.but to each his own.some love riding that mower around.(my husband) shhhhh..i just ordered her book.im thinking about ordering some of her food.anyone ever try it?
Go to Top of Page

FarFlung
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kristy
Singapore
Singapore
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  01:37:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

Well, lately something has occurred to me while I read the posts above and elsewhere on the site. I mentioned it once, I think.

We are becoming global in a way. We have Canadians, New Zealanders, and a few more people from other countries or parts of the world. Alaska is definitely one of Old Glory's home states, but it, too, is different than the lower 48. I have a feeling this globality will grow.

Perhaps in one of the upcoming books or workbooks, rural life in other places of the world could be highlighted and written about. I would love to know what rural ife is like anywhere in the world!

Perhaps it could be called Faraway Farmgirls.

I love it! I would be happy to be a "Singapore" Faraway Farmgirl! I love the site, the book and the magazine. Makes me remember my old 4-H and FFA days back in Oregon.

Kristy-An Oregonian Farmgirl in the City of Singapore.

(check out my blog on simple living in Singapore (www.farflungcraft.com/blogs/SLS)
Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  05:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Verbina, glad your husband likes doing the lawn, mine doesn't like it. I read an article about (and I think MJ mentions) how much pesticide goes on your average lawn and it was thought provokingly more than what farmers use on their property. The article I read mentioned that there might be a link from pesticide use on lawns to childhood cancers since our children regularly run through the lawn barefooted. I wish I still had the article. I also liked MJs point about weeds not necessarily being evil. Something one person considers a weed may not indeed be one--meaning that many people killing everything but their impression of lawn could be "overkill"--no pun intended. So back to the book ideas, keep those sensible warnings on health coming! My lawn alternative plugs are doing well as we write! Cheers, KathyLou

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page

DeeHarp
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Dee
Missouri
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  06:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Hello All!
I'm anxiously waiting the book....I ordered online. I just found MaryJane's site this week. I found out about her through "Country Home" Magazine.
Glad to meet you all!
Dee :-)
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  07:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Welcome DeeHarp! I haven't looked at Country Home for a while. What month's issue was the MaryJane info in it?
Go to Top of Page

DeeHarp
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Dee
Missouri
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Jane,
Thank you for the welcome! The issue of Country Home is the September issue.
:-)
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Kristy I would like to invite you to join in our rapidly growing mail art project. We call ourselves the "Sisterhood of the Travelling Art" Farm Girl Chapter. Have one member in New Zealand and would love to have more intl. members. If you are interested, go to the Swap Shop Chat and look under Mail Art. We have about 17 pages of postings.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

FarFlung
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kristy
Singapore
Singapore
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  5:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Over to check out the traveling art :-)

Kristy-An Oregonian Farmgirl in the City of Singapore.

(check out my blog on simple living in Singapore (www.farflungcraft.com/blogs/SLS)
Go to Top of Page

BumbleBee
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

BB

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Last year after seeing MaryJane on the Food Network TV program, I checked out her website. Wow what hard work and love you will find there. I pre-ordered her new book and audio CD. Both of them were FABULOUS!!! I was looking forward to going to the Farm Fair, but there was a death in my family. In 2006 I'm going, wearing my apron and booking early. I just saw at Amazon that MaryJane's NEXT BOOK will be "MaryJane's Stitching Room Workbook", will be out in 2006!

"Follow your Bliss while harming none. Remember all animals are our brothers and sisters too"
Go to Top of Page

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile

I own a farm, but I haven't started growing anything yet. I'm a real real beginner. I was drawn to Mary Jane's book and site from a story i read in a magazine. I think I felt a sense of belonging more than anything else because she's a woman and creative and not afraid of a big thing. I feel "stupid" sometimes because I'm a California girl on a farm in Tennessee and don't even know what kind of questions to ask. I also get taken advantage of because of my naivety, so I'm trying to learn more so i ask better questions. I love Mary Jane's book and the website, but it's for people a tad more advanced than I am. I would love to see a beginner's guide. Literally, beginning. Tilling up a field of grass to grow a garden seems like building a rocket to go to the moon right now. Slowly I am picking up great skills from the book and from asking farm girls questions and reading other posts, but I would still love a Mary Jane beginner book...

Fern
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  11:59:50 AM  Show Profile
hey fern-

something i've learned the hard way over the years is that there are no stupid questions-only stupid people who won't (can't) ask questions!

that's one of the good things about this site-people can just ask whatever-i think it's a lot less intimidating to ask via a forum like this where no one can see you!

keep asking and maybe we should have a beginner room-whatever makes it easier for us to ask questions, i say, let's do it.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  07:12:04 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of a beginner room...But, so far, my beginner questions have all been met with such respect for my tender status...great advice from wise women is saving me from myself!

Fern
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  08:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
A Farmgirl CookBook
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  2:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi, One thing I hope MaryJane will consider is to reprint her premiere issue of MaryJanesFarm. Some other magazines have done this with great success. Taste of Home. Country Woman. Women's Day Decorating Specials.

With her new book comming out and more due in the future. I feel that there would be a ready market for those just learning of her.

I'd even pay for a photocopy of the first issue.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  09:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Fern,
We bought a 200 year old farmhouse on 100 acres in rural upstate NY about 2years ago. Take one day at a time and start small. The first thing we did is buy a kubota tractor (they finance at 0%). It has saved us massive man hours and has enabled us to accomplish so much more on our own than we would have been able to.
The first animals we puchased were chickens. Chicks can be purchased through the mail and shipped to your door by the US post office. There are many websites. The eggs are great and chickens are easy. If anything happens, the chicks only cost you about 50 cents to a dollar a piece.
How is your soil? What grows best in your area? and what should you plant? These are all questions that can be answered by your local cooperative extension. The cooperative extension is affiliated with a University in every state in the country and most farmer could not live without them. They are also can connect you with, Master gardeners, foresters, the dept. of soil and water conservation, and the dept of agriculture.
Also I found great information and connections by attending my county fair and speaking to all the local farmers who exibit there.
Good luck, we are still working our tails off and loving it most of the time. Right now I am up to my armpits in tomatoes.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:36:22 PM  Show Profile
I agree big time with Susie Q above when she says it would be great for MaryJane to republish her premiere issue. I believe alot of people would buy it. I do know about the costs of such things, but is this a possibility?

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:38:20 AM  Show Profile

My goodness!! I am continually amazed at how many new farmgirls at heart are joining in the Forum conversations! Welcome to you all!!
MaryJane does not have any plans to do a re-print of the Premiere magazine as it would be a tremendous out of pocket expense. I do thank you all for your enthusiasm and suggestions.
I'm thinking that you can learn just about anything you'd like to know from all the wonderful farmgirls at heart right here on the forum!!
sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Fern, I've been at this " stlye of living" for sometime now and I"m STILL learning as I go, some days I dont' seem to get ahead at all, but my heart knows this is the life I was meant to live. I was born in Ca. and grew up in Las Vegas ( desert living is the pits) and knew nothing about any stlye of farm living. Just keep plugging along and do be shy about asking questions, I"ve learned alot right here!
Rats.......I too was hoping to snag a copy of the first issue or any others, having just found MJF with the last issue, then I bought the book and now I can't get enough! I wish the magazine could come out monthly or bi-monthly but at least we have this website where I have connected with SO many women just like me!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and Apron.....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  5:18:28 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Hi Cindy Lou

A big thanks to you for getting all of this organized. Since I was in charge of maintaining the beginnings of the mail art list, I can personally attest to how overwhelming all of that incoming data can be. It really did impact my ability to be creative!!

Not complaining at all; I was glad to get it started, but I am also so happy that ya'll are getting this organized.

Thanks Thanks Thanks
Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  5:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Halleliuah! I'm not new (today is my year anniversary I think!) but it was getting too confusing for me! Besides it makes sense to have everything in a central location with the requirements, specifications, time lines all spelled out . Thank you, thank you Farm Goddesses and Gods! AND>>> BIG hugs to everyone who spent their time and valuable energies coordinating these lists before this change of plan, you guys are great too and you know who you are Connie and Kay, Diane and Holly, Karen and Lucinda! Hope I didn't forget anyone!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 25 2005 5:57:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  5:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls!

Cindylou had to dash out early, and she asked if I would post this letter from her. ~Carol

The Farmgirl Posse Rides Again!!
Clare, in her moderator capacity, myself, MaryJane, and Carol are developing an upgrade to the features on our forum.

We love the projects that are exploding on the forum! You fabulous farmgirls are participating in mail art, making blankets for the needy, creating mail art, aprons, quilts, and dolls that travel. You are tireless in your efforts to give of yourselves to others.

I have a lot of experience in organizing round robins, since I organized the travels of the Premiere magazine and journal. Thirty worn copies of the Premiere magazine have traveled to over 450 farmgirls at heart along with journals that came back fabulously and elaborately decorated. It took bundles of time and organization. I’m pleased as punch to call projects like that part of my “job”!!

Now if I coordinated the travels of the traveling Farmgirl MaryJane and Farmerette MeggieRae dolls, they could return to the farm after visiting say 8-10 farmgirls. They’ll have lots of new clothes, accessories and stories by then. Carol and MaryJane will take pictures to post so you can all see the dolls. Some of the pictures might even show up in upcoming magazines. Typical of girls, the dolls will need new wardrobes fairly often, so after they’ve rested and recuperated ~ tee hee~ I’ll send them out again pronto. As I learned with the Premiere Tour, it’s a lot of tracking and nudging to keep things traveling along. I can plan for the dolls to return for Farm Fair next July so you can visit them when you come.

We’ve noticed that several new farmgirls on the forum are feeling lost because some of the conversations are quite lengthy. They can’t easily find a central spot to sign up for any of the projects that are going on. Nothing confuses and discourages farmgirls like chaos! MaryJane has gone to great effort and expense to create the Forum and I know you all appreciate it. We’d like to keep MaryJane-related adventures right here on the Farmgirl Connection Forum and not send our farmgirls off to other websites; it just gets too confusing.

We want to tie some secure “apron strings” around the mail lists by having them originate from the farm in order to protect everyone and their information. We’ll organize a master list for each wonderful, bright, and original “traveling” and “exchange” venue that is created.

Soon we’ll gather up all the lists. You’ll be able to sign up on whichever lists suit your fancy. In the near future you’ll simply e-mail ~ quilts@maryjanesfarm.org, dolls@maryjanesfarm.org, buttons@maryjanesfarm.org, aprons@maryjanesfarm.org, mailart@maryjanesfarm.org, birthdays@maryjanesfarm.org, books@maryjanesfarm.org, etc. Then we’ll e-mail back to ask a few pertinent questions and get your address and phone number. While we monitor the lists for privacy and safety, all you farmgirls at heart can turn your energies toward creativeness and leave the “worries” to us! We have the technical experience at working out the “bugs” on mail lists and organizing “traveling” journals, etc.

Thanks for your understanding, farmgirls and guys! Watch for more details soon.

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cindylou, In the current issue of MJF there is an article about some gussied up premiere issues making the snail mail rounds to those who haven't had a chance to see the premere issue.

If it's possible to be added to that list, where do I sign up? I don't mind being number 1,582 in line as long as I have a chance to see the issue.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  06:56:51 AM  Show Profile
This is an old idea for me but I think it would fit in to what your doing. About 10 years ago I wrote a cookbook.
I was the one in the family that everyone called, long distance, to find great Aunt Annies recipes and etc. One year after many phone calls from family members, my husband suggested that I gather them up and put them together in a bound copy for all the family. On the inside cover I put a condensed family tree so all could relate a recipe back to the family member.
I then asked every family member for a contribution of a recipe. Some I already knew, everyone has a recipe that they are asked to make over and over for every family occasion. Pretty soon you are identified with that item. These recipes are not just standard, they are "to die for". Putting an average recipe in print is a waste, they are in magazines and on line by the millions.
I have noticed, in the past week of being a member, that there are many talented cooks on the sight and we all have family recipes to contribute. If Mary Jane could test our recipes, or we could even test them for her and vote on them. In a years time we could have one of the best cookbooks ever in print. We may even need to print a canning one only with canning tips. I know I would buy both.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  2:33:19 PM  Show Profile
MJ’s editor has been wanting us to do a canning cookbook for some time. What a great idea to compile all of our favorite tried-and-true recipes with bios to boot! Send your ideas to canningrecipes@maryjanesfarm.org.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Post your ideas here Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page