Page: of 7

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  12:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I make tote bags, not canvas, but you might want to give them a look-see:

www.chezpatricia.etsy.com

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  12:53:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by katie-ell

Maryjane, Thanks for your kind words about my ideas. Junebug deserves credit for coming up with the Farmgirl holiday primer . . . I just had ideas popping around in my head as I was stirring dinner!

Here's a couple more items -- wreath of barbed wire -- I saw that once and simply loved it. Also holiday aprons! I love the really long style for the holidays -- some of the girls are making those to go over long dresses and they are fab. Also Christmas/holiday embroidery patterns for doing pillowcases/shams and the like.

Oh, this is fun!

I realized I hadn't really read through this thread much, so for that reason wanted to see what all was being talked about. The idea you shared for Barbed wire wreaths caught my attention. I made one up for my fall yard decorations and I also have one in my family room with flowers, a bandana and a bird's nest. Actually, the one I had made for fall is still hanging up on our lamppost. I had every intension of pulling out the sunflowers and putting poinsettas in it, but just never got that far. Hopefully, though, I will be able to change it for spring. It's nice because it makes it easy to tell people which house is mine - the one with the wreath on the lamppost.

I found a stack of about 8 "rounds" of barb wire buried in the woods on our farm. My husband said his dad probably left it there many years ago from when he was done stringing fence. It is all now perfectly rusted and already secured in a circular fashion. I brought them home (to the city) and sprayed all the mud off and they are as "good as new." :o)

My husband wanted to pitch them, but I told him they would make great craft projects for wreaths that either I would do or someone else would want to buy the wire for the same reason. I told him there is a market for them. And your idea proves my point; great minds think alike. I actually still have 5-6 of them still laying around.

I know I'm a couple months behind your planning, but just had to throw this in there while I was reading through the post. If I knew how to download pictures I'd let you see how they look.

Keep up the good work with the planning, can't wait to see the finished product. Blessings on the planning and final process.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  7:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, your bags are beautiful!!! Too pretty to haul groceries in. But I could think of other good uses for them.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  8:28:14 PM  Show Profile
They are wonderful...I have one of Patricia's bags with chickens on it and use it every single day for my knitting...cute and well made too!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  9:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the kind words, ladies, but wait until you see the Studly Cowboy Snackeesack I just finished! Woo hoo!! I wish I had a camera that would allow me to upload photos so I wouldn't have to wait to show you until I get them done. Don't forget, for Farmgirls the bags are only $20.

Edited by - Utahfarmgirl on Feb 17 2006 9:28:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  9:29:41 PM  Show Profile
More chicken bags coming up, too. Studly chickens maybe? No, that would be studly roosters....I'm going to bed. Night all.

Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  3:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Cute cute bags...about the barbed wire, we found I guy in TX that will write out or bend out, don't know the lingo, the name of your farm. We want to get one to hang over the enterance to our farm. Too cute, Rose

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile
A topic I'd like to see explored is how farmgirls carve out a place of their own and how it's decorated, etc. Several months ago I saw a small article about this in a magazine at the doctor's office -- one lady had converted a storage shed into her get-away, another used an old chicken coop, and the third used a recycled/redecorated folding screen to section off part of a large family room in the basement. Each of these areas were so different and certainly reflected each lady's personality and interests. I found it really interesting.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  4:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Another topic I'd like to see is cemeteries. Maybe this sounds strange, but my parents' generation was very dedicated to keep up the decorations at family cemeteries, making trips in May and October to decorate and then clean up the family flot... but not too many in my generation seem interested in this. My husband and I try to do this every year but I think it used to be more of a family get-together occasion.

A related topic is geneology - my father took me a few years ago around to all the little cemeteries in the country where my great-grandparents and great-aunts and uncles are buried. Dad doesn't get around so good, so didn't want to get out of the car- Many of these are very old cemeteries, and access to them is not always good from a main road. Sometimes you have to go across a plowed field or down a country lane.

I want to do a project to get a GPS location for each grave site and update it in my Family Tree Maker software as much as I can, then maybe make a scrapbooky type of thing to share with my kids and grandkids.

Is this too wierd for the book?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  07:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I don't think it's a weird topic. I help my family take care of our local cemetery. We have planted shrubs, decorative grasses and flowers around our family graves. When I was a little, my friends and I would roller blade at the cemetery because it had the best hills and pavement in town. I love driving along country roads looking at small forgotten cemeteries.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I think this is a great topic. Im obsessed with my family geneology! Its a family tradition for us too to decorate the graves, but has also been lost among some of the family members. Have you ever done gravestone rubbings? ive always wanted too.

Life's messy!... Grab an apron!
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  08:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi everybody,
My first time messaging on any web-site.I've been very impressed and inspired by Mary Janes Farm over the last four years since a friend of mine first gave me her magazine.
Currently I'm laying down in my last few months of a late in life pregnancy(I'm 45).I keep getting pre-term labor symptoms.I've been sewing,embroidering.knitting.Trying to start a outdoor camp at our new bare property.Used recommended web-sites from your book.
Your forum keeps coming up in my mind and I've just poured over your new book and shared it with all my farmgirl friends.
One topic that I find I'd like to participate in is more gardening tips,lessons.Especially about old fashioned cottage gardens.I've been a landscaper for twenty six years,especially large estates.Flowers feed my soul and do amazing things to the neighborhood.Clippings and cuttings would be a great topic as would pruning.These are the questions I get the most.Seeds and collecting another.My best friend now,another farm girl who raises water buffalo and roses,we met because she wanted to grow hydrangeas for the cut flower market,we started them all from cuttings from plants around our area,started roses too,just cause they're easy and now we've had a successful rose business for 12 years.Growing hardy landscape roses.
I live in a small town on the coast of N.Calif.When I bought this old victorian house seven years ago,I firstly ripped out all the bare grass all the way around.Actally I started with the front yard and over the years have worked my way around.Brought in truckloads of manure(the neighbors started watching),started with a few larger plants transplanted from my last garden.Pretty soon I had a overgrown cottage garden.I also work full time and was a single mother till last year when I remarried.The best thing about it was watching my whole neighborhood get better gardens, start fixing up thier old victorians.The town became a family town instead of just a low income place to live.Beauty can do that.
Knitting is also wonderful as is spinning and quilting.I love the article in one of your magazines about the treadle sewing machines.Chair pads,can't buy a good one,pot holders,I love the felted cotton table pad fabric for batting.
I'd love to hear your ideas about home building since you guys must have had to rebuild after your terrible fire.I'm currently drawing up plans for an old farmhouse style house with a wrap around deck for our new land.Trying to use inexpensive building styles gable roof not too steep.Milling our wood for the decks and beams at least.Although the milled full dimension wood doesn't need to be graded then)is so much stronger and makes a solid house.This and setting up water systems,old style.Gravity fed,spring box,water tanks,grey water systems.
I have too many ideas and not enough time.Love hearing from other strong entusiastic,capable women in this forum and feel an afinity.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  08:17:01 AM  Show Profile
Katie - that all sounds like so much fun! Welcome to the 'Connection - be sure to go over to the "Welcome Wagon" section and introduce yourself. You'll find that the ladies here are full of information and inspiration.

Glad to "meet" you!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  10:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Katie..welcome to the group..you sound just wonderful. My oldest son used to live in Ft. Bragg..is that near you? I thought is was so pretty there!!!
You take it easy..isn't it wonderful to still be able to be industrious even when on bed rest? You sound like you are going to fit right in here!!! I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  06:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
ok, here goes,
this may already have been covered but i would love to see a section on shopping mom and pop.
you know people who have there own little mom and pop businesses, farms etc. it seems now more than ever we need the quality and diversity that "mom and pop" shops have to offer, and that is why whenver possible "i shop mom and pop"
so a chapter in the book with different folks across the country who are working hard at keeping that concept, and option alive would be interesting to me.
thanks,
fran
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile
I really like the idea and the actions of purchasing locally as close to the source of the product as possible. Good section idea!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

shellybien0319
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  4:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,
Though I am new to MaryJane's world, and have not had the pleasure yet to read any of the other magazines or books, I would love to see some stuff on how a Farmgirl at heart can get by in the city. I live in Albuquerque NM because this is where my DH's family is. And because I have NO intention on leaving him, I would love to get back into touch which my country roots, but have no clue how do that in the middle of a city. I would also like to see something on regional farming: Since many vegetables/herbs/fuits are indigenous to only certain climates, "How to farm in your neck of the woods" would be really useful.

Keep up the good work everyone, it's great so far!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  11:15:59 AM  Show Profile
I love MaryJane's book.. It is Wonderful! I love the forum and ALL of the WONDERFUL friends I have made here. I have to say I have not seen any of the other MaryJane magazines, except for the last one.

I have to be very honest; there were some very nice things in the magazine. But I have to say, I came away from looking at the magazine turned OFF. Almost turned off to the whole MaryJane thing, because I feel it is getting too commercial/contrary to the Farmgirl concept. The recipes look great however; I thought to myself that I spent an awful lot of money not only to have to pay for MaryJane's advertising of her own products, but to have to buy Maryanne’s food products in order to create the recipes she presented! I felt the recipes were written/put in the magazine to sell her food products. What I feel should have been written would have been the EQUIVALENT ingredients to her products (that would have been the FarmGirl thing to do). So that buying her products was a choice, not a requirement to create the recipes. I don't fault MaryJane for wanting to make money, I applaud anyone for being an entrepreneur... I just don't like the way MaryJane is going about using her magazine to promote her products. A section in the magazine, yes... But not every recipe in it that is dependent upon whether or not one can afford to buy her products. That's "Un-FarmGirl like"...

I will say.. I will look at the magazine more closely next time, I won't buy it if it is the same.

The book also makes reference to her products but I felt it was a softer sell. The most recent magazine was over the top.

This is only meant as constructive criticism to those who put the magazine together. I felt I had to say something to be fair, rather than just go away discouraged/turned off with the whole thing.

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

Edited by - JennyWren on Jun 05 2006 12:07:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  12:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi JennyWren.
Thanks for your comments about our book and magazine. I'll explain a little about our magazine so that you can better understand where we're coming from. Our "normal" magazine is published about twice a year (only once last year because we were working on our book, which we also photographed, designed, and edited here at the farm) and is a "mag-a-log" in that it serves as a catalog for our packaged food business. It is 144 pages, 50 of which are devoted to our catalog. That means 94 pages are devoted to stories, photos, news and tips, all with a "theme" - "The Art of the Egg," "No Place Like Home," etc. (I haven't counted, but I'll guess that a "normal" magazine has much less editorial copy for the reader, and every page screams at you with ads.) Our magazine is written (except for submissions from our readers and customers), photographed, designed, and edited here at the farm by a staff of three. The considerable printing costs are paid completely out of pocket because we don't have any outside advertising in our magazine. So, of course, one of our goals in publishing the magazine is to sell our products, since that's how we pay our bills.

This latest issue is a "Special Recipe Issue" -- instead of the normal catalog, it included a recipe "book" with recipes using MaryJane's new Farmgirl Budget Mix. Instead of 144 pages, it was 192 pages so that we could give you all our recipes, and the editorial part of the magazine was much smaller than normal. We are excited about our new product and wanted to give everyone all the great recipes that we had developed here at the farm.

Our next issue will be a departure from both of these styles of magazine. Its theme is "Artists in Aprons" and it will include lots of stories and editorial copy, and a very short product catalog, where we will sell a few of our new apron patterns. We'll also give you some apron patterns in the magazine, just like we did in our book.

We've received lots of positive feedback about our magazines, and I'd encourage you to order a couple of the back issues from our website (www.maryjanesfarm.org/magazine.html) so that you can see and appreciate them for yourself.

Thanks Carla!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  12:15:10 PM  Show Profile
I think we were on the same wave length as I just edited my entry.

I guess I didn't realize/know that this issue was going to be different from all the rest of the magazines. Meaning that it was a special recipe issue. That would explain a few things. Sorry about that.

Actually I bought the magazine because everyone rave's about them, I was expecting something more like the book.. EVERYTHING in and about the magazine looked GREAT.. Right down to the color schemes, photo layouts everything. I guess I felt a bit let down, because I had to buy the products in order to make the extra recipes, that there were no other alternatives.

Please don't get me wrong, I do truly enjoy the book, recipes (that I have to figure out how to make, without buying MaryJane's products) and the wonderful people here on the Forum. I just honestly felt that this was getting too commercial and departing from some FarmGirl concepts. I just plain felt uncomfortable with the magazine, out of respect for FarmGirls, I felt it was important to say something as I am not the only one who felt this way.

Carla...

-- Goethe

Edited by - JennyWren on Jun 06 2006 12:09:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  07:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Carla, Thank you for sharing your opinion wih us of the lastest magazine. I, too, was disappointed and wondered if I was the only one who felt that way. I share many of your sentiments about that issue. However, you have got to see each and every previous magazine. I cherish each one. You must order them. They are delightful and inspiring and actually, life-changing. MaryJane and her philosophies and ideas have impacted my life greatly. I first picked up the "No Place Like Home" at the grocery store, having no idea what kind of magazine it was. Soon thereafter, I ordered every back issue available. Each one is amazing. And, then the book came out...it's now one of my favorites. That being the case, I just thought this go 'round with the latest magazine...one can't hit a home-run every time, ya know? But, you won't be disappointed with the others. In fact, I'll let you borrow one of mine if you like. Just take good care of it...it's a treasure. If you'd like to do that, just email me your address and I'll mail it to you for you to check out. Bet you'll love it and order your very own copy. Finally, did your name "JennyWren" come from Paul McCartney's song or from where? I adore him. Take care!

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.
It's very disappointing to us to hear these kinds of comments. There's a huge amount of effort and love (and unpaid time) that goes into each issue of our magazine. And we MUST sell our products in order to pay for the magazine that you so enjoy. In fact, if you paid the real production and print costs, the magazine would cost you about $25! Fortunately, we have enough readers who understand the connection between what we're providing and what we need in return. Our ability to sell products also pays for this forum (we've figured that it costs us around $4,000 per month)! Those products keep us from having to pass these costs onto you through user fees. Remember, we're a very small business here and MaryJane and Nick still struggle to pay bills most months and work unbelievably hard (I'm not quite sure how they keep the faith, given what they're up against financially!). But because of our last issue, we've sold lots of Budget Mix and Nick has never been more tired or more happy! We just hope that we can count on the support of our readers and customers -- it makes a huge difference in our ability to keep the faith and survive the ups and downs of being in business!

And as far as the money MaryJane got to produce our book -- well, guess what? She spent it doing just that (we produced the whole thing here)! We're paying our way day by day, customer by customer. And at the end of every hard-working day, Nick calls out a tally of everything sold. We hope to stitch the world into a happier place ... one magazine, one book at a time!

Keeping the faith ...
Carol

Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  7:11:25 PM  Show Profile
*This is Luzy's Son posting...*

I currently pay 20 dollars a month for 60 gigs of storage and 1.6 terrabytes of transfer per month, which would be more than enough to host a largely text-bassed forum such as this. Even if you had to get a dedicated server at a top-tier facility, you're looking at around $200-$300 a month.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  8:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Rebekah for your kind offer of borrowing MaryJane's back issues! I truly appreciate that, I have to tell you that I told my family that I would like anyone of these for my birthday. So I kind of think I may not need to borrow yours. But thank you very much for the offer. I also appreciate your support in my views. I for sure was not saying these things to be mean. They were meant in Farmgirl spirit. Because I would like to see MaryJane keep this going.

Carol, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I can only imagine all of you pouring your hearts and souls into everything you do. It shows!

However, that uncomfortable selling, selling feeling, will drive certainly not all, (even I, do understand you have to sell things to keep going, but please don't use your magazine as a platform for selling your products. A catalog with the same STYLE as your magazine with cool recipes etc. Would be waaaaaaaaaay more successful. You ladies are soooooooo creative you could do a wonderful job on a catalog. It would be far more effective) but too many people away.

I know that you work very hard... but combining the idea of a catolog into a magazine is a turn off. It comes off as sneaky. Then all of your work will be for much less end result.

I am sure that you will find a way around this, whether it is taking on a couple of well thought out advertisers, allowing FarmGirls to advertise their wares, products, maybe have a section in the BACK of the magazine for this?? Does MaryJane have to do it all herself? It seems like maybe she is trying to turn herself into a Martha Stewart, which is fine. But then it's businss, and not just Farmgirl. A balance is better. If not a balance, then you have to call it what it is. Otherwise the Farmgirl concept will be damaged.

I don't know what the answers are. But I think that you will find your ways in all of this.
What good is it if everyone tells you how wonderful everything is, and then walks away from the whole concept due to being turned off?
I honestly am trying to help you keep going. I am saying this with only the very best intentions. Believe it or not I am on your side.

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe

Edited by - JennyWren on Jun 08 2006 05:36:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  8:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Ps..

Thank you Clare.. That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do. What I said was honest. My sincerest wish is for everyone to be happy.

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Post your ideas here Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page