jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  3:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Why are some people receiving emails from MaryJane about signed copies and not others? I am glad we can get signed copies and I definitely want one, but do not understand the hierarchy here. Please elaborate.
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile
I do not think it is anything to do with heirarchy. I have had e-mail conversations with Mary Jane and others of her staff since before the forum began. Today I simply sent her an e-mail asking if the autographed book would be available on the webb sight for pre order after you all began to ask. She e-mailed me back at once thanking all of us for the great idea!!!

Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  4:03:53 PM  Show Profile
If there's a list for those of us who want an autographed copy but can't make the antiques show, please add me to it and I'll pay right away.
Rene'

Live, from remote Alaska!
Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  4:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Oops, duplicate post... but I did get the book ordered. :-)

Edited by - RWW on Jan 20 2005 6:59:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  4:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Rene
You will probably be able to do just that by going to the magazine website and placing a pre order.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  4:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, Did you recieve an email from the farm wishing you a Happy Holiday? I did... You know I wrote MJ and the staff a long letter by post early last fall and still have not recieved a reply I summed it up that they have all been incredibly busy with the book and magazine...nothing intentional, but I am still looking for that reply! Hope this helps... Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  05:00:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi all -

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I definitely am excited about the book and the next issue of the magazine. Can you tell by my questions? :)

Meadowlark, I did not receive a Holiday email from MJF. However, when I have had questions about my orders and other things, and emailed the farm, I have always had a very nice and warm response.

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 20 2005 05:00:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  06:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes jp I am so excited for the book and mag too...I had heard that it was due in Nov. '05 and now it will be out in spring '05! Yipeee! I called the farm once about an order and they were so sweet and attentive...They are so refreshing to deal with on a personal level!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  06:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I looked around the magazine website and did not see a place to pre-order the book....and I would like to pre-order a signed copy.

RWW, how did you get yours ordered? Thanks in advance for the help.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  06:50:59 AM  Show Profile
I think we could probably just make a phone in order until it is up on the site.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  09:37:17 AM  Show Profile
There was a bubble on the homepage to click that said pre-order MJ's new book yesterday on my computer...

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  11:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! It's so heartwarming to see all your interest about the book! Sorry you had to write so many posts before getting feedback from us. Even though we've sent our last chapter off to the publisher, I'm still busy with all the last details of the book. I'm sure that will continue for a couple of weeks at least! But I did take a minute yesterday to get a "bubble" on the front page of our website for pre-ordering autographed copies of the book. You can now just click on that bubble and go to a page where you can pre-order. Your credit card won't be charged until the book ships, which should be around May 24, since that's the day the book will be available in bookstores. You might want to visit your local store then as well, as there will be "Farmgirl Journals" and "Farmgirl Notecards" available for sale, as well as a nice display of books, thanks to our publisher!
Thanks again, and have a wonderful farm-day, wherever you are!
Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  11:48:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Meadowlark and Carol - ordered the book and, as usual, appreciate the helpfulness of everyone here on this site and at MJF!
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Well! I've had my copy for several weeks and wanted to touch bases with you all, offer a little feedback, and say what a great read for the tub!! I'd like to see the sequels having to do with more daily routines (love picture stories), more folks around the place, and more how-to items. I enjoy good auctions, digging into musty old barns and outbuildings, and watching my nephew romp naked in the barnyard dirt. Hope to see more daily life stuff in what's to come.

The pictures are great, too; thanks so much for capturing the atmosphere and mood of a given time/event ~ especially enjoyed the old mill pictures and could have read more about it than what was provided. All in all, I shall put my two cents in for more in-depth coverage of what's so interesting on-site at the farm and otherwise.

It's the lines on a person's face that tell the story, the bumps and lumps. Fresh and smooth is too easy to hold my attention, but the well-worn creases and frayed edges will keep me spellbound again and again, over and over. Keep up the old-timer info!

Thank you SO much for sharing the curiousities and intricacies to be found in this everyday life! The book is already a favorite.
Rene'

Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  6:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello Rene' I was so glad to see your post. I have enjoyed reading your other posts about your life in Alaska and was hoping to read an update from you. I agree with your comment about --It's the lines on a persons face that tell the story.-- I have a dear friend in her late eighties who tells me she worked hard for those wrinkles and she's proud of everyone of em'! They do tell the story. I really thought the outpost section of the book was great so is the rest of the book it has been such a treat. Hope your spring and early summer have been delightful so far. ~Kathy
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  05:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I just received my book, "MaryJane's Ideabook. Cookbook.Lifebook" I just want to say that I LOVE this book!!! If I had one book to choose other than my Bible, this is THE book!! It is exactly what I love to read-stories about real women, important handwork and farm work, women's work done well AND beautifully. I love to read about the enjoyment of common, daily tasks. I am a true farm girl although I usually call myself a country girl. I learned to grow food in the garden with my husband's help, can, make homemade bread on my husband's great grandparent's hoosier, enjoy picking wild huckberries, swim in the neighbor's pond dodging the little fish nibbles, prune the old fashioned roses, sew special jumpers and bonnets for my daughter, make useful things for our home like curtains and tablecloths, bake treats, learn about the hot water heater and some basic electrical work and more.

This book is just a wonderful thing to read and savor as well as jump start projects. My husband has bugged me for years to write a book, and this is the styl I would love t owrite. I enjoy the feeling of sitting down with a friend and older women to learn their craft and share life at the same time. Maybe that is why i joined a small quilt guild. While we make donation quilts, we share our lives and offer support to each other. I am the youngest memeber except for my daughter. She gets along well with the older ladies and ais a big help at 12 years old. We go to the Spineeers and Weavers guild to learn the handcraft of wool. My daughter spins effortlessly on her Ashford wheel while I embroider and listen and share with the other women.

I am so looking forward to starting a Farmgirl Chapter here as I think we need to keep these meetings of women tied to handwork alive. My grandmothers had their quilt meetings and their weekly lunches and card playing times. I miss that sense of community and sharing as most women are working out of the home now. This is such a nice way to fill a niche, a need to belong and to have friends and do real work.

As for future topics, I love homemade skin care products and think that would be fun to share a basic skin creme, bath salts, bath bags, salve. I love to can and have a delicious vegetable soup for the pressure canner. There is nothing like going down cellar (we live in a renovated farmhouse doen over by my husband, but we retain the old, cool and damp cellar) to pull out some canned soup for a quick, warm lunch or canned venison, canned corn and add some staples to have a tasty venison stroganoff dinner. I also like tips on making s[pring or fall cleaning go more easily, storage ways that look as nice as they hold favorite books and craft supplies, simple games for children to occupy them at a moments notice, to start them off. I also like to see beautiful gardens and can benefit from handmade outdoor "art' from found things or recycling items as well.

I just love all the photos in the book and the sidebars of quotes and pieces of women's history throughout. I just enjoy this book very much. I love that it's large and I have only made it through a small bit. I can savor sections, a little each day between my chores.

Thank you, MaryJane. There are women like me out there and women I can learn so much more from. A life lived close to the land is what I enjoy most. Thank you for justifying every little thing that I do that make people wonder why I would spend my time or energy on it.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Beckyanne
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Becky
Dove Creek Colorado
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile
I met Mary Jane back before. My husband came home and told me a co-worker had told him about this new magazine that I would love. He started telling me about it and she lives in Moscow, Id. Hummmm, I think I know her. The web site was down that day so I called and got Mary Jane on the phone. We talked a bit and realized that Not only did I know her, she remembered me. I have loved ever magazine and have just finished the book. Just don't get so busy that you loose site of who you are that we all relate to and love. thanks for reminding us of the simple things. I have always said that you are not home unless you have a flock and a line. Thanks Becky

Love and hugs
Becky
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  7:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE THE BOOK!!!! I made the trek up to chicago when Mary Jane was there to film a tv show segment...I showed up an hour late just thinking it was a regular book-signing event...wanting to meet Cindylou..with whom I had been e-mailing and of course purchase the book and meet Mary Jane. Was I surprised to see everyone dressed up in their farmgirl finest!! I came in overall shorts and a baseball cap...but no matter!!!!! Mary Jane was gracious, as was Cindylou and I also met Meg.It was truly a thrill!!Im heading up the Farmgirls chapter here in NW Indiana (Porter and Laporte counties) and was glad to see a couple city gals all fired up to get things rolling in Chicago!!!Im hoping to attend the sleepover gathering at Mary Janes next july 4th in 2006.Maybe take a side trip to Reproduction
Fabrics in Bozeman Montana!! of course....hey Farmgirl Quilters!!!
Who's out there???any longarmers????
Happy Summer!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Thanks for your interest! Updating what goes on in this neck of the woods (specifically, my island home) is about potential changes as we contemplate returning soon (30 days!) to a remote lifestyle. If I could convince you that the most aggravation involved seabirds and their raucous noise at all hours of daylight (literally 2:30 a.m. to nearly midnight during the summer) rather than bears, would you find it incredible?! When the fish return to spawn the gulls, terns, ravens, eagles and bears, mink, marten and otter sup side by side, and it's only when the run wanes that the air quiets down and the bears become digruntled at the end of easy pickin's. It's opening your back door, knowing that were you to shine a light into the darkness there would be 3-7 pair of bruin eyes looking back at you, or planting 30+ strawberry plants only to yield them to the lone deer beachcombing of a misty morning or the bears in the middle of the night. Even the potatoes get dug up by 9-inch brownie nails, so gardening is close to home - literally - where we can thwart potential marauders and save the last of the homegrown greenhouse tomatoes from unappreciative palates. Would I trade it for anything? Hardly, especially when jumping in a skiff to jet across the bay or down the strait is on a moment's notice, usually to get the mail, dropped off by boat in another community down the way by mistake, or to watch the sealions and whales feeding on ocean's bounty just outside the gut. Remote is having time to explore bays and coves where old whaling stations and fish processing plants once operated 24-hours a day, or turning off the motor to look down at great humpback whales gliding beneath your boat, barnacles and all.

There are days when the surge is strong from an incoming or fading storm, rain pelts sideways in the wind, and snow flurries fill up walkways and docks faster than you can clear them. It's waiting two weeks for a boat with mail and groceries rather than one because somewhere a rock appeared and knocked on wood, sending the Coast Guard to the rescue or the ship back to port for repairs. Living remote is truly knowing your neighbor, who may not necessarily be your best friend, but is always there when the tide leaves you high and dry, or can spare a gallon of fuel til the supply boat is due.

Away from the throngs and sidewalks and pavement and exhaust fumes, we depend on each other, help and comfort one another, and understand the joys and failures, shortcomings and successes of each of those just like ourselves. It's true community where we live and will, hopefully, return to very soon. In the vastness of land and seashore uninhabited by none but the determined, it is truly your fellow who matters in all things.

The kindred of MaryJane's book and magazines is not only in working the land, but in relating to each other, appreciating the necessities of comradeship, the humor in our foibles.

Rene'

quote:
Originally posted by Kathy A.

Hello Rene' I was so glad to see your post. I have enjoyed reading your other posts about your life in Alaska and was hoping to read an update from you. I agree with your comment about --It's the lines on a persons face that tell the story.-- I have a dear friend in her late eighties who tells me she worked hard for those wrinkles and she's proud of everyone of em'! They do tell the story. I really thought the outpost section of the book was great so is the rest of the book it has been such a treat. Hope your spring and early summer have been delightful so far. ~Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  12:03:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello Rene' As usual your post about your home on the edge of the bay on the remote Alaskan island is fascinating and to think that your dream to get back there is going to happen soon is fantastic. I can only hope that you will somehow have access to a computer there so you can keep in touch with us here on the forum! Your descriptions are so wonderful I can get a good visual on the place. Are you going to have a general store and bath house again? I can see my self on the boardwalk watching the fishing boats come and go drinking strong coffee and munching on your cinnamon rolls! Actually I'll probably never make it to Alaska but I do have a small idea as to what your remote life is like there. We spent 2 years in a remote area in Idaho at a hot springs on a beautiful river in the mountains, the wild life there was not as wonderful as Alaska but every day brought a new adventure and undescribable beauty, especially with the changing of the seasons. In winter we had to cut steps in the snow to get down into our outhouse and also to the house/shack that we lived in. We had no electricity or plumbing the fresh water was piped from a spring and here's the best part- we had a huge rock tub -think Koi Pond- in the house. We piped hot water from the hot springs to the tub and diluted it with spring water. We spent many winter afternoons in that tub. Living remote and in tune with nature makes you feel so alive. I also agree with you on the importance of community, appreciating,
and relating to your neighbor. This is something we have learned more recently and will take with us when we return to the more sustainable lifestyle that we are after, ours will be more agriculture than yours, but I love and appreciate what it is you are talking about, and I'm really excited for you, hope it all works out as soon as possible. ~Kathy
Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  9:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Without going back through my other posts, your remote living experience in Idaho is similar to my first venture into "bush living" here in Alaska. There is NOTHING like a natural hot springs to warm up in after a winter day on the water. Coming home to snow so deep it would sink the dock, and trying to find the last hole "down" to your front door has to be similar to what you've described! But I'll tell you what, there's no complaint about having to do the wash on a washboard when the hot water is so easy to come by! Thanks for sharing. :-)
Rene'

Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  06:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to see an article on water. I have a well. I would like to know more about healthy water quality--the ins and outs of it. I also notice that my skin is drier using my well water than when I am out visiting people. What effect does water softeners have on healthy water supplies? Then I thought about making my own lotion. There are millions of lotions offered but wouldn't it be great to make our own knowing we are making the best and most effective. I made one once that had to be refrigerated but I think that is just fine to do if necessary. It's quality and effectiveness that I am interested in. I am also replacing patches of my grass with lawn alternatives as shown in MJB's magazine with her standing outside with a hand plow. I'll tell you how I do with that. KathyLou

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  12:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, lately something has occurred to me while I read the posts above and elsewhere on the site. I mentioned it once, I think.

We are becoming global in a way. We have Canadians, New Zealanders, and a few more people from other countries or parts of the world. Alaska is definitely one of Old Glory's home states, but it, too, is different than the lower 48. I have a feeling this globality will grow.

Perhaps in one of the upcoming books or workbooks, rural life in other places of the world could be highlighted and written about. I would love to know what rural ife is like anywhere in the world!

Perhaps it could be called Faraway Farmgirls.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  4:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I know there are hundreds of gardening books out there, but I'd like a MJ book with actual proposed garden plots for different needs -- i.e. how much to plant of various things and in what ways as to be most economical while feeding a family of four. A farmer's market garden. A dyer's garden. An entertaining garden, etc. Lots of photos, diagrams, ingenuity, sources. Stuff that works in various regions as well. Plus preserving the harvest. Crafts/decor. Stuff like that. AND I want suggestions for how to do it with more brains than brawn -- just like the piece on woodcutting. AND I want you to show me how to make garden structures both decorative (pergola, etc) and utilitarian (tool shed, etc.) AND it wouldn't hurt if the book included a recipe or two.
Go to Top of Page

KathyLou
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Polson Montana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  10:55:29 PM  Show Profile
While visiting MJFarm, I could relate to what MJ wrote about having an alternative to lawn. Remember that it was one of her 7 main points of importance? At her farm, I could see no large lawn and many cute paths and various plant groupings that where very attractive without lawn. I came home and wanted to put this to practice, even if in a small scale as a "get started" point. For more ideas for a book, I would like to see some of her suggestions put into practice by some of the farm girls. I love the idea of outdoor rooms and it would be interesting to see some examples of farm girls putting this into practice. Just maybe sometime, my husband won't have to spend 3 hours each Saturday mowing lawn. And for what? No really good point other than some one else's standard.

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Post your ideas here Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page