tbroens
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Tracy
Russiaville Indiana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile

Hi there FarmGirls!!! I've been talking to Cindylou about the magazine that i love. I told her that the article that was literally life changing was the one about the lady moving from the city to the country and downsizing her life. I told Cindylou that this made me cry. I couldn't believe that someone felt the same way that I did. It has forever made me be more aware of the simple things and also knowing how important it is to be homemade. I stopped letting it bother me when my friends make fun of me for the gifts that I make that are homemade, or the jam that I pass out at the end of summer, etc..I'm proud to be a farmgirl and homemade!! Thanks MaryJane for such a great magazine, I can't wait till the next issue comes out. I've been stalking that Healthfood store where I found it looking for the next issue!!
Thanks Farmgirls for making me feel like what I am doing will make a difference!!
Tracy Broens :)

Farmgirl/Gardener Forever!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  9:23:07 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunatly I am not afraid to cut my own hair too..usually with disastrous results!! But still I do. I always cut my bangs myself, and do fine with that. I have very heavy thick wavy hair and sometimes I decide I should layer it and try..yikes..I make a mess of it and let the layers grow out. I have some layers now that are growing out. This is why my hair never gets a chance to get much longer than just below the bottom of my shoulder blades...I am always trimming it to get rid of layers. It NEVER Looks better. Seems like I would learn. I am actually happy with my hair right now..if I can just leave it alone all winter I think I will have the layers gone. I told my friend to stop me if I start talking about it. Problem is, I usually just cut it without talking first. Oh well! Good thing I have alot of hair I guess.
Tracy...I get teased about being "homemade" too, but you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way...and I think my family and freinds expect that of me and sort of even like it by now.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2004 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be great if you replicated your PremierIssue in the book. There is a magazine I read that put together the 1st three issues in a book form.

The ideas that have been posted here are GREAT! You may have to do more than one book MaryJane!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2004 :  5:39:28 PM  Show Profile
OOH! And also, how to use cast iron skillets! I love ccoking this way!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2004 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Why not have a section on where farmgirls like to gather? There are thousands of festivals, fairs, shows, conventions, all over the nation that speak to the inner farmgirl in all of us. There are the old quilting bees still alive and kickin', my own community in rural Kansas has them, and neighborhood rural women's clubs that date back to the early 20th century. We all have fantastic places and events to gather and enjoy music, crafts, food, contests that express what MJ is doing with her movement. Lets hear about these in her book!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  11:11:03 AM  Show Profile
I would love to see MaryJane do a section about garden tools and implements including some of the oldies not often used in this day of the quick fix and gasoline engines. I would like it to include photographic directions on how to care for and sharpen these implements. Example, I got a grass cutter at a yard sale for .25cents. It has a 4 foot handle with a flat blade attatched by both ends to the handle at an angle that looks like you can swing it and the sawteeth will cut through tall grass with each direction of the swing. It is rusty and needs sharpening. How is this accomplished? It looks like a very useful tool and I have places here where I could make good use of it if I could find out how to care for it.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2004 :  2:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen. Well, you'll be glad to know that MaryJane is planning articles in the "Garden Gate" section of the book about "Hard-to-Find Garden Tools" and "Sharpening and Caring For Your Tools," as well as one on "Rethinking Pruning Shears." You're on the same wavelength!
Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2004 :  2:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello farmgirls!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we ARE looking at all your suggestions for the book, and have seen some great ones, so keep on posting them here!

Thank you all!
Carol

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2004 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Along with the cast iron cooking idea, how about cooking on wood stoves? Both the "cooking" type, and the "heating" type? Oh! And don't forget campfire cooking!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Vicki
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Vicki
Sequim WA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2004 :  2:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Goodness! You have so many great ideas for your book you will have to write a series of books to use them all!
I Think that a section on herbal medicines would be helpful. Just some common, safe, everyday herbs that people can use easily and have easy access to and that have simple preperation. Many of the herbs we use grow wild all over the country, or are easily grown in the garden.
Also, maybe how to make a simple herbal first aid salve, and maybe even how to make tinctures might be good to include to help others become more self-sufficient for common problems.
I can help with these if you would like, or maybe you have a local herbalist that you confer with.
I would also like to see some safe, natural, non-chemical recipes for cleaning around the home.
Thanks!
Vicki

To be the best you can be... naturally
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2004 :  04:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I discoverd the MJF magazine at of all places...WalMart!
The book decision is a large task and all though you would like to be all encompassing, you can't please everyone all the time. Mary Jane to
you I say "to thine own self be true". Look at this incredible journey that has already taken you! Cherish the things you love, are passionate about, that bring you joy, humor, that educate and entertain you and I am fairly certain you will have a happy group of readers! When I discovered the magazine I thought... finally! I have found my people! Truly! I was a head gardener for 145 acre estate for a while and we had a 2 acre organic vegetable garden, 5 acre orchard, bee hives and countless ornamental gardens. There was no one except the 60 year old extension agent (male) and couple who at the time were struggling to keep their heads above water with their orchards for me to commiserate and share experiences with. Organic gardens on a large scale were thought to be hippie domain and the locals who did farm were chemically dependent. It's nice to see the tide turning! Modern farming has many faces and MJ yours is one I would have like to have met 15 years ago, better late that never!
With all best wishes...Bramble

Go to Top of Page

Lady Bronc Stomper
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2004 :  09:19:16 AM  Show Profile
I had a suggestion/request for the new book about hand stiching. I have just started up several sewing projects this year, and I would love to know how to do some real basic stiches like for heming up the bottom of a shirt/skirt/pantlegs. It would also be interesting to know how over time women have trained themselves to hand sew in straight, evenly spaced lines. A few notes of embrodiery would also be neat...maybe an old fashioned embrodiery design or two??
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  11:27:15 AM  Show Profile
Just checking in to inquire about the status of the book and the next issue of the magazine. Seems like Jan 15 and March, 2005 are the dates that I read about, but I can't find the message. Connie (eagerly waiting...)

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2005 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I love pictures of all things accomplished; loved the bed draped in shadows photo, as well as the detail in the hands and egg issues. I like to see everyday things - dishes in the sink, patterns on aprons, marks on old tables and the view from a window. I like the lines on a face, fingers pushing back hair, and the intensity of a gaze. Plain and simple, I'm a lover of National Geographic photography, and I revel in all the good stuff found in MJF magazine! How about a chapter devoted to old family letters found in boxes tucked away in an attic? Names of places and roads traveled, destinations and livelihoods of those gone from home? Home news is always welcome...

Live, from remote Alaska!
Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  12:58:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! Just had a second today to look at the forum, and noticed that you're asking about the book and magazine progress. We just sent the last chapter of our book off to Random House today!! MaryJane and I have been working hard every day (and night) on it for months, so this feels like a great accomplishment! We'll still have lots of last-minute things to do -- indexing, acknowledgments, etc., but nearly everything is done!

The book will be in the stores around May 24th, and the magazine will come out a little before that, mid-May. We decided to delay it until right before the book comes out. Sorry to make you wait so long. We've had our plates full, to say the least!

Keep posting -- we really enjoy reading all your wonderful comments!

Carol

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  4:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Carol - The fact that you all at MJF are working hard and extending deadlines and making things good just makes us love you more! If it was all about the deadline, no matter what, I would feel you were not in the same frame of mind as the people who post here. Quality. Simplicity. Beauty over profit. Love of living over love of status. We support you as you strive toward these objectives. And we look forward to your results.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I know I am excited! For both! You know Amazon already has a place to pre-order the book. I just happened upon it today. Just search for Mary Jane Butters and there it is!

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  12:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Susan! I am going to pre-order!
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:06:30 PM  Show Profile
This will be my first autographed book as well.
eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:09:07 PM  Show Profile
I treasure the few autographed books I own. And I would really treasure MJF's book with her signature. Does this mean we should not pre-order at Amazon?

Clare, how do you know this?

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 19 2005 1:10:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile
I had a conversation on the phone with CindyLou last week and she told me that they were working on making it happen. I am very excited.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Could we pre-order the autographed books through her web site?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

FarmChickSerena
Farm Chick

45 Posts

Serena
WA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:38:18 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to let you know that MaryJane will be signing copies of her book at the next Farm Chicks Antiques Show, May 21 & 22 in Fairfield. She will be there both days, as well as some of the crew from the farm. MaryJane will be signing in the MaryJanesFarm booth, in the large show tent in the park.

Serena
www.thefarmchicks.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am so jealous!!! I would LOVE to be at your show! One of these days...

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Just got an E-mail from Mary Jane in response to our request for pre ordering autographed copies. She is setting it up as a result of our request!!!
Ta Da!!!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Post your ideas here Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page