CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  3:50:46 PM  Show Profile
So I need some advice ladies (if you would be so kind)!

The computer at home is a horrible piece of junk. It's a MAC and about 5 years old. It drives me nuts that something only 5 years old is called "obsolete". At any rate we need a new one. Or rather - one that functions and doesn't drive me crazy!

My concern is that if we get a new computer and get rid of ours then we'll just be contributing to the already overwhelming junk littering our beautiful planet. Does anyone know of a way to do an "intorior remodel" of my Mac computer so we can still use the outside but give it a new inside? And, of course, cost is an issue. I realize that we'll probably be spending close to $2K to get a brand new computer, but I really don't want to invest anymore than that.

Also, if that isn't an option are there places that we can recycle a computer? I have an old laptop that needs to go also but I just can't throw it away with out feeling terribly guilty. I'd like to refurbish it, but when my roommate's cat decided that was it's litter box - well lets just say it doesn't run (or smell!!) as well as it use to.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile
I would check around with computer repair folks in your area. There is one in our town that will take old ones and refurbish them. He'll even take them on consignment. I'm not sure about MACs, though. I'm thinkin of taking out the hard drive in my old pc and giving him the whole thing.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a Freecycle in your area? I think they are pretty much all over North America now. Here, people are always looking for old computers to refurbish and donate or give to someone that couldn't otherwise afford one.
Just a thought..
Di
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile
I think that Katiedid just did a type of "interior remodel" on her home computer -- maybe she'll tell us more about it! (hint...hint...Kate?!?!?!)

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  04:51:59 AM  Show Profile
You could make a Macquarium see http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/MacAquarium/index.shtml

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile
That is helarious!!! The MacQuariums are so funny!!

I also found out that most computer retailers will buy old computers from you!!! My poor laptop is only worth $11! But it's not being tossed in the garbage and it will probably be refurbished. That was very exciting for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Computer Upgrade Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page