Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What is your best household hint?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your best household hint? Next Topic  

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  08:53:04 AM  Show Profile
New thoughts for the new year...in an effort to help us all be successful in carrying out our plans/goals for the new year, how about sharing a household hint or two. What little tricks of the trade help make your job easier? I'll start with two of mine:

I know Martha says to change the sheets every week, but that's just too much laundry for me. Besides, we're clean people and I think every other week is just fine. To keep track of which week is which, I have one set of white pillowcases for each bed in the house, in addition to the pillowcase that comes with the sheet set. Week one uses the pillowcase matching the sheet set. On Monday of week two, I change to the white pillowcase. Monday is wash day, so when Monday rolls around and I see white pillowcases on the bed, it's time to change the sheets.

Before putting a new stick of butter on the tray, I score the measurement markings with a knife. When a recipie calls for a tablespoon of butter, I know just where to cut to get one, or two, or three, etc tablespoons.

What tricks do you have up your sleeve?

Sandy

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  10:14:13 AM  Show Profile
I get up early and start early. After some time with my coffee and computer, I have a light breakfast and am out in the barn by seven. Chores get done, and I'm back in the house between 7:45 and 8:45, depending on what had to be done. Before I go out, I turn on some music that I know will keep the energy going when I come back in. I quickly empty the dishwasher, pick up, and check my menu calendar for what's for dinner, or what needs to be thawed in the fridge for the next day. I buzz through as fast as is reasonable, and then run any errands I may have. In summer, this is a time to garden, while the horses finish breakfast. Then I usually school horses, or get some laundry on the line, or something like that. I pretty much keep going like that all day, one thing after another.

AND----

(This is the most important part)

NOTHING I could do as far as housework goes is as important as the people in my life. Housework will always be there, but the people may not. So I stop everything and skip any vacuuming, cleaning, or anything else that interferes with spending time with them. That stuff'll still be there when I get back.
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  4:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Sandy~~ good tip with the sheets.

I work outside the home so in order to avoid taking up my entire weekend with housework I have a schedule of days and rooms to clean in those days. I also have cleaner in both bathrooms so I don't have to travel the house everytime I want to clean a bathroom.

I am eager to hear other time saving tips.

mag
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Even though I work full time during the day, I usually have enough energy to come home and do a "chore" Monday through Friday, so my weekends are free and I don't feel guilty sitting around, or playing or going out of town. I can rest when my chore is done--it makes me set a goal and I stick to it. I do dishes and try to at least keep the counter tops and floors clean and swept after dinner 5 days out of the week--with 4 dogs, it's nearly impossible to keep the floor, but....

Monday = clean bathroom, do whites for laundry
Tuesday = Launder Sheets/towels if any, cold darks
Wednesday = sweep and dust living room, warm clothes
Thursday = sweep and dust bedroom and study
Friday = OFF
Saturday = OFF
Sunday = OFF

It's nice to arrive at the weekend with a clean house.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  9:22:37 PM  Show Profile
I work outside the home also, but fortunately, with my new job, my computer is only 5 minutes so I come home for lunch. In the morning I put a load in the washer, at lunch in the dryer and after dinner I fold while I'm watching the news or a good movie.

I also try to keep up on the clutter daily so it doesn't become overwhelming.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  05:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I have this theory called preventive cleaning. If I clean as I go along all day, then I never have a huge dirty house staring at me. My favorite friend is the dustbuster. All the little dust bunnies never have a chance if I zip around the floors often.

Here is an example of preventive cleaning ....I dry my shower tile after each shower instead of leaving wet walls. It takes only a few seconds, but it saves me a lot of time trying to get rid of mold and mildew. My bathroom tile is 20 years old and is still pristine white. I think it also gives the caulking longer life if it is not allowed to be wet a lot.

And I keep that wooden clothes rack MaryJane advocates. When hubby sweats up a lot of clothing from yardwork and running, I hang them there until I can wash them. It helps to prevent sour smells.

I could go on and on, but you are probably snoozing already! :)

Ephesians 1:17

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 09 2007 05:06:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Not snoozing at all, jpbluesky! It's these little time-saving hints that make our jobs easier. We also wipe down our shower stalls - you and my husband would be the best of friends. He also likes pristine white ceramic tiles!

In terms of keeping up with paperwork, I use a small notebook to keep a "follow-up" list and nobody is allowed to write in that notebook. I record items and the dates on things that require checking to make sure everything is completed. Example: packages mailed to confirm delivery, tax returns mailed and confirm receipt of the refund (if any), rebates mailed to confirm receipt of rebate amount, etc. When an item is completed, I highlight with yellow, so I can see at a glance what is outstanding.

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  7:41:31 PM  Show Profile
jpbluesky~you sound like a woman after my own heart! I, too, clean as I go. It seems as though when I do that, there is never an overwhelming mess to clean.

ponyexpress~i love the notebook idea. I'm going to try this. I don't change my sheets every week; my mom thinks that is horrible. But, with 6 kids, that was/is alot of sheets~!!

I always learn something here. I guess my best tip, besides the clean as you got that you ladies discussed, is that when I get in the kitchen to cook, I run a sink of hot, soapy water. That way I can wipe up messes, do up dishes as they come up, and clean up spills, if there are any on the floor when I'm done. I learned to do this after years of leaving dishes and having a mess later when I wanted to sit down, or in the morning when I wanted to do another project.

Val
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  04:53:43 AM  Show Profile
I do the same with the dishes! Especially during a big meal like Thanksgiving dinner. When folks arrive, I have already washed half of the dishes, as the preparation things like bowls and spatulas got washed and put away as I cooked. This helps a lot if you have a small kitchen, as I do.

Here is another clean as you go oldie: Sweep your porches and steps often; make it part of your trip to the mailbox. If the porches are swept off, there is so much less dirt that can come in the door. I notice when a lot of leaves are on the porch, a lot of leaves are in the house.

Do you have a toothbrush holder? Does it continually get goopy with dried toothpaste? Each time you brush your teeth, rinse and pat the brush dry with a nearby towel before hanging it up. This prevents a mess.

And when you are done at the sink each morning take a paper towel and dry around and in the sink and the faucets. Then they will not need to be scrubbed as often, and minerals will not build up.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  05:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Flylady;) music definitely helps to get your moving and keep you moving. Is there any way to make housework FUN?! I enjoy getting things done and clean but in the meantime lol... I also change sheets every week because of allergens. But flylady will show you hotspots, getting dressed head to toe, shiny sinks, etc. Check her out!

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  11:53:56 AM  Show Profile
When I used to bake it was always a hassle to pull out the big bags of flour and sugar for a recipe- flour would always end up on the floor/counter (and my arm from reaching deep into the bag). I always wanted to get some big jars or crocks for them but I could never find anything suitable (either they were too small or too expensive!) Finally I discovered that a local dairy sells their used big plastic icecream containers - for about 30cents each! I bought a bunch filled them with my big 10kg sacks of baking and cooking supplies and lined them up against a kitchen wall. So easy and at hand!

To clean a narrow vase when you don't have a bottle brush, just pour in a bit of uncooked rice with your soapy water, cover the opening and shake, then rinse out.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walrissa
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Larissa
Anchorage AK
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  3:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Like mag, we put our rooms in alphabetical order so one or two get cleaned every day. Monday=bathrooms, Tuesday=bedrooms, Wednesday=family room, Thursday=kitchen, Friday=livingroom. I vacuum the living room nearly every day because of the toddler, cats, and dog but Cormac (20 months) and I play a game when we vacuum so we both look forward to it. I change our sheets every other week and laundry (besides diapers) is done on the weekend.
I am in the process of getting rid of stuff so there is less to maintain though. We're pretty good about actual cleaning but not so good at picking up after ourselves.

http://web.mac.com/lwrightelson/iWeb/Cormac%27s%20World/Welcome.html
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile
I also do dishes as I cook, and wash clothes pretty much on the same day every week (that is, I wash certain loads on certain days). My favorite trick WAS to use an air compressor as I walked into the downstairs utility area, especially after gardening or going for a walk after rain. Unfortunately, I didn't sweep out the area afterwards and was asked to quit! It really saved bringing dirt into the house. Now I have a whisk broom near the doorway, and sweep my boots or shoes outside. I've learned to vacuum and mop floors after my DH goes back to work rather than before the weekend!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

kjweldon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kathleen
Cambridge MA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  12:31:44 PM  Show Profile
It's probably ridiculously obvious tip, but I couldn't believe how much easier cleaning got when I went out and bought a full set of cleaning supplies for both the bathroom and the kitchen. Before that, I used to have to go under the kitchen sink for glass cleaner and under the bathroom sink for scrub, and back to the kitchen if I needed a paper towel...
I've noticed that the allergy-barrier covers on my box springs has meant much less dust in the bedroom overall.
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile
I save the butter wrappers, and use them to grease pans for baking. I'm sure I have more, but I can't think of any.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  4:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Ray uses a GB (garbage bowl) when she cooks an I have recently adopted this and I LOVE it! all my trash goes strait into the garbage bowl and when dinner is done I just dump it all in the trash bag and take it outside.

Other than that I am really NOT a good housekeeper. I have gotten better lately but I am so scatter brained I honestly don't THINK about cleaning. I might see something and think "that looks messy" but the thought to actually clean it up never crosses my mind. I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and I definatly think this is a part of it. I HAVE to have a schedual of what to clean and when or it wont get done. Even with that my husband CONSTANTLY has to remind me about things. Sunday has been laundry day since we have been married (6 1/2 years) and STILL every sunday I forget until about 8:00 to even start it. I don't know why. My brain just doesn't work like that.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  6:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen - my bedrooms seem to be more dusty than the rest of the house. Are the allergy-barrier covers made of special material? Do they fit like mattress pads or encase the whole box springs? This might be worth looking into....I hate to dust.

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  8:56:07 PM  Show Profile
My favorite household hint is to simmer fresh or dried lavender in water for lots of uses. I usually simmer 1 liter (quart) distilled water to 1 hand full (approx. 1/2cup) of lavender. Let it steep, just like tea for about 5-8 min. Then strain the lavender several times till the water is clear/free of lavender buds. Let the lavender water cool and then put it into a bottle with a sprayer. It will last for up to a week in the refridge. I use it to spray my sheets/laundry & ironing. I also use it to wipe down the bathroom counter as well as a facial/boady spray in the summer when I need a quick pick me up. Lavender is truly awesome & versatle. I have even made Lavender Cheese Cake with fresh lavender. As a tea it is quit flowery tasting so I combine it with scented gerainiums and pineapple sage from my garden. I grow my own lavender/pineapple sage & scented gerainiums and I never use pesticide. so I never have to worry about what goes on my skin or in my tea.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

kjweldon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kathleen
Cambridge MA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  07:42:21 AM  Show Profile
Sandy - Yes, the covers are made of some sort of plastic material, if you get the cheap ones. There are more expensive covers, which I use for the mattresses, made of something that breathes, but I needed to save money, so I went cheap on the box springs. They cover the entire mattress/box spring, zipping up along the side to seal. I have bad allergies to dust, and the covers made a big difference in my overall comfort, but I think reducing the under-the-bed dust bunnies is almost as nice as not sneezing! (Well, maybe not quite.)
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Have you seen the comercial for that memory foam type matress. In it is says Wall Street Journal did a study that showed the average matress DOUBLEs in weight over 10 years because of all the dust mites! GROSS!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  2:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Julie -- that's an image I REALLY didn't need to have floating around in my head! Yuk! I think I'll go vacuum now.

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I heard that too about mattresses. I actualy have heard too that you should vacuum your mattresses every now and then. But yes it is a gross thought. Just think of all those hotel mattresses! EWWW! Maybe we shouldn't!
Anyway...

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your best household hint? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page