westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  11:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls, I have recently had an experience I'd like to share and I'd like to know if anyone else has felt this way. I am 53 years old, havent had periods in 3 years. I am told by my Dr. I'm now on the "other side". POST MENAPAUSE!! I went through all that for a total of 15 years. I started with little things in my early 30's but it started to get bad around 38 to 40. I never took anything that wasnt natural during it EXCEPT for 4 months when I did think I was losing my mind. I need s/thing to take the edge off. It was low dose but 4 months was all I needed. I was scared, my biological mom took off & left my dad and us (6 kids) when she was going through it. Thats what THEY said it was a/way. But I want to comment on what my Dr. called the "OTHER SIDE". I will and should, she said, go through things with my body that may frighten me a little. Weakness, getting up slower,need more calcium, need more this and need more that. I HAVE FIRED MY GYNO!!!!!!!! I dont think I have EVER felt better in my life!! Yes I may move a bit slower in the am, who doesnt?? I do more now and not just physical. I've got more confidence, dont sweat the small stuff anymore that used to blow my mind. I would rather be 53. I dont ever want to go back. I DO LOVE every wrinkle, they all mean something. I have earned every ache and pain that I do get. I dont want to slow down yet, I hope I never do. I literally run circles around most people I know. I feel smart, funny, and yes even sexy. I NEVER felt all this as a younger woman. I am proud of me, of my age, of the things I do. Yes I want to do more, if its Gods plan I will. BUT no damn DR. is going to tell me to be afraid of the things to come. I want to embrace all that comes, the good and the bad, but I want to do it with strength, grace and dignity. Not be afraid. I hope and pray I always feel this way. I love older people, especially women, I could sit and listen for hours to what they have to say. To me they are more beautiful and inspiring then anything else. I just wanted to know if others felt good after they crossed over to the "OTHER SIDE". Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  04:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Good for you!!

I am in early menopause. I haven't felt good. I haven't felt bad, just not good. My NP did some blood work that came back fine but shows early stages of menopause. I feel better because I know what's happening. I am trying to do this gracefully. I've been through drug induced menopause to treat a medical problem. It was rough. Thankfully this is coming on much slower. I hope I do this as well as you have.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  07:37:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for writing that Michele! Women like you are inspiring! I am 49 and want to go the natural way through this time. Sometimes I do think I am going nuts, such extremes of moods! I am determined to go down this next path in life grateful for my womanhood and all that I have been blessed with and WILL be blessed with when I reach the end of the journey. You are so right, I would never go back to those 20's and 30's. Give me wisdom and peace of mind!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  06:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Maybe some of this is in the head (the drs. not us). Menopause, to me, is a natural part of getting older (not aging - aging to me means something other than getting older). Since when did menopause get to be a medical problem, a disease of sorts, to be treated. Now I know some women do have a bad time with it, but all I see are ads for this hormone and that remedy. Seems to be a part of the pharmaceutical industry wants in on every part of the life cycle. Life is supposed to be a journey, with many stops along the way before we reach our final destination. Some have a smooth journey, others a rocky one. But it's meant to be, and I think sometimes we're messing around to much with nature.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  09:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cecelia,I do agree 100 %, let life takes it's course. I was so mad at my Dr. for putting it the wat SHE did. Everything to them is medicine, more & more drugs. It felt great telling her I was disapointed and I wanted another Dr., one who was more sensitive and understanding. Michele

:she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  10:14:35 AM  Show Profile
I am going to play devil's advocate here for a minute...Would you let nature take it's course if you were diagnosed with diabetes and not take a supplemental dose of insulin and lapse into a coma ? Would you let nature take it's course when diagnosed with cancer and let that remain untreated? If you or someone you loved was diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder would you allow nature to take it's course with that illness? All of these conditions are organically based imbalances of some kind. (Yes, some may be influenced by outside catalysts, but not all). Remember...I am playing devil's advocate here...if you believe in survival of the fittest then I believe your answer would be yes, that these weaker individuals should be weeded out by "nature".
What is the oath a doctor takes? "First do no harm". As compassionate beings, we should strive for that in all things and not close the door to what could be the betterment for all. That solution might be traditional medicine, herbal medicine,chinese medicine,diet,surgery, lifestyle or a combination of all of these.I think finding the right healthcare professional is IMPERATIVE! You must feel like you have a partnership in your healthcare.
My take on menopause thus far is that it has caused an enormous change in what I had previously learned to live with naturally (though quite uncomfortably) with. I don't perceive it to be an illness but more like an organically based fluctuating imbalance that might very well need to be regulated in one of the above stated ways. My case might be a more serious one than most but if you bled heavily for 45 days non stop sometimes, you might be feeling more like I do at this point.
As my final disclaimer, I am not a doctor, married to one or in any way connected to pharmacy or drug companies. Insurance companies are the bain of my existence and I would avoid paying them another cent in a heartbeat if I had other options that were effective and viable.
And remember the top half of this posting...I was playing devil's advocate to give us another perspective to think about this topic.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile
You make some very good points, Bramble. I think in this modern society we do so many unknowing things to our bodies without realizing how much they put us out of balance... those things can be HEALED with many "alternative therapies", not necessarily with drugs. In the process of finding our own answers, which are often internal ways of thinking that we can change.... we are very apt to "cause a healing".

My favorite doctor who is more "enlightened", is Dr. Christiane Northrup, especially in regards to women's issues and menopause. I highly recommend her work as a good source for anyone to begin asking yourselves questions about how to heal yourself in the most natural way possible. She would be the first to admit that there are times when other interventions are appropriate. I wish you well on this journey, Bramble. I cannot imagine bleeding for 45 days. Sending your healing thoughts.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 07 2005 11:18:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  11:33:47 AM  Show Profile
I agree...You make a good case Bramble. We have many choices in our health care, but sadly many do not because of education, poverty, lack of will and resources and my heart goes out to those women. For those of us who are fortunate to be able to choose our medical care we should become as informed as possible in those decisions! WE are the client and we should research our providers as much as possible, and the treatment options. Knowledge is power. I also wish you well Bramble and pray that you can find health and vitality in this matter. I cannot imagine bleeding 45 days... Blessings to you dear lady.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

goodmojo
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Yarmouth MA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Great posts, all. I love the way you feel about being 53, Michele. It's funny, the older I get the more I feel good about being me - not that I didn't before, it's just that I am so much more happy with who I am. I am 47, going through menopause, and I confess I did a ton of reading about it (Christine Northrup is great) and after making up my mind I went to see an endocrinologist, and I am now on "bio-identical" estrogen therapy. Please, farmgirls, don't be upset! I just feel that I made the best decision for me - I feel ten times better, and I do not regret my decision. I am also taking a very small amount of testosterone because my levels were so low they were not even in the normal range for women. I really respect a womens decision and inner strength it takes to go through severe (or mild) menopausal symptoms using natural treatments. I tried them and, unfortunately they did not work for me. I eat organically, exercise 6 days a week, get lots of sleep despite working about 80 hours a week in my own business and have a beautiful 13 yr old daughter - my life is full of love and I am very thankful for that.

One more thing - I have decided that for my 50th b-day I would like to do a half-marathon (seems as I get older the thought of a full out marathon makes me grimace) but I would really like to accomplish this. Does anyone else have a similiar milestone dream? Has anyone ever run a marathon or half marathon? I would love some tips on how to train - seein as how I have a couple years (Godwilling and the creek don't rise!) I should be able to make it!

Thanks everyone!!!
goodmojo

I came to this planet for the french roast, and the chocolate, of course.....
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  5:42:22 PM  Show Profile
I do agree on deciding what we do to our bodies, etc. There are diseases which have to be managed with medicine and pharmacological interventions. I just do not think that bodily processes which have to do with "normal" aging, i.e. menopause, should be thought of, and treated as a disease. If you do have problems, night sweats, etc. than by all means use whatever you need to cope. Try natural sources first, and read and inform yourself before doing anything.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  6:23:33 PM  Show Profile
A lot of my girlfriends and I turn 50 next summer. To "celebrate" this milestone and the next best 50 years of our lives we plan on a trip out west( kind of ala Thelma and Louise) but not that wild and not in a convertable. Thinking of backpacking and climbing a mountain...not sure which mountain at this point. I need to start getting in shape. This has always been a goal for me. I have heart damage from a childhood bout of Rhumatic Fever when I was 12. I have functioned well, but altitude can be tricky for me. It is a dream of mine.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

KJAMES
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

KAREN
SC
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  07:02:37 AM  Show Profile
I WILL BE 56 NEXT WEEK AND HAVE BEEN HAVING HOT FLASHES AND NIGHT SWEATS FOR THE PAST YEARAND A HALF OR SO. HAVEN'T HAD A PERIOD IN 142 DAYS, WHICH BEFORE THAT I WAS A REGULAR AS CLOCK WORK. DR. TRIED TO TELL ME LAST YEAR THAT I WASN'T STARTING THE CHANGE YET. HELLO, BUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN HAVING HOT FLASHES FOR A WHILE WHAT ELSE WOULD IT BE. ANYWAY I PUT MYSELF ON BLACK COHOSH AND IT REALLY HAS MADE A LARGE DIFFERENCE. DON'T REALLY HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING OLDER, JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT HAPPENS IF YOU ARE BLESSED ENOUGH TO LAST THIS LONG. HOPE THAT I HAVE ANOTHER 40 OR 50 PRODUCTIVE YEARS LEFT. STILL GOT A LOT OF THINGS THAT I WANT TO DO.
I WISH THAT SOME WOMEN WOULDN'T PUT SO MUCH WORTH IN YOUTH AND GREAT LOOKS. SEEMS LIKE SO MANY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INSIDE IS WHAT COUNTS. ONE THING I WILL SAY ABOUT GETTING OLDER IS THAT IT HAS MADE ME STOP AND ENJOY EVERY DAY. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF OR THINGS YOU CAN'T CHANGE

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  08:46:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone and thanks for your input. As I enter this phase at 45 the road seems unknown and scary, already filled with hazards. I have always assumed I would approach this time with tolerance and patience.
The reality is that I am faced with things happening beyond my control ( and believe me I have tried). I think our bodies normal progression is a natural and good thing and that the less we interfere most of the time the better. But we should never shut out informed and educated information because it makes us uncomfortable
or fail to act on what we have learned.
As for age.... I wear this face proudly with whatever you see on it . A shallow person would see age spots, freckles, scars, lines and wrinkles from too much sun in my youth. What I hope a more enlightened person sees is compassion ,kindness, humor and the soul of a trusted friend, with a little mischief thrown in for good measure. I am a canvas that life(hopefully) has more time to embellish upon. We are all works in progress until the day we die, so why should we feel as if it is all over at a certain age.Every day we have is a gift and how we use it makes all the difference. Age has never been relevant.
(At 87 my grandfather referred to someone that I didn't recognize and I said "Who?" He said, "You know ...that OLD man up the road!"
I hope at 87 (God willing) I am thinking the same way! )

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  07:04:15 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, bramble you do make good points, as I said I did take something for about 4 months. I felt like I was losing my mind. It took the edge off and then I went back to natural alternitives. my point wasnt about whether one should take something for menapause or not it was about Dr.'s and their additudes. I think women should do whats best for them. My menapause lasted a long time, I did bleed for more then 45 days and had to have a very painful biopsy. Im glad that part is over but I look forward to the next phase of this thing. I feel Dr.'s like the one I had, who make women feel afraid of whats next should be in another field, NOT medicine. We all have to do whats best for ourselves I just happen to feel IF I can do it without all the medicines and with a more natural product or method, Im going to try that first, which I did. I then went w/ the replacement for a few months & back to natural. it worked for ME, not everyone. Thanks for the input. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2005 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile
I had an emergency hysterectomy nearly three years ago (am now 53) and so went crshing into menopause....but the only problems I've had have been some hot flashes and weight gain....and I'm working on the weight....I get lots of exercise here on the farm! (I had to have the emergency hysterectomy because I almost bled to death suddenly....)

I am forced to go through everything naturally because I am so tremdously allergic to practically every medication and most herbs!

I agree that some medication may do some folks good for a temporary time (like the four months stated in this original list) but I think we all too often feel like medication is the answer to most ALL our problems, not just health. As for taking medication for diabetes and things like that....a lot of health problems are caused by our diets and lifestyles... my mama's family are almost all EXTREMELY OVERWEIGHT and all suffer high blood pressure, diabetes, lymphedema in their legs, and countless other problems....

We as women need to take charge of our own health as much as possible and do whatever we can to maintain good health....even when we require treatment by a doctor and medication we need to make sure that we understand exactly what we're taking and why we're taking it....

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2005 :  08:34:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh----and YES----I agree this is a GREAT TIME in our lives!!!!!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  12:35:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm in early menopause. I have really awful night sweats and hot flashes..I haven't had a P. in 4 months I am trying to decide if I need a doctor to tell me what I already know. I guess it would be useful to find out if i am other wise gynocologically ok. I Detest going to the doctor. I am on Neurontin for panic disorder, and it helps a lot with the hot flashes and agitation
just thought I'd pipe in.

=)
Annika
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  3:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika-

There is a female doctor here in town that is fabulous and she is open to different therapies to make our lives easier. She is very sweet and non agressive. You might consider going to the doctor. If you can make your life a little better with some care, I think you are worth it!

If you want I can email you the name of the doctor I am thinking of.

*hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  4:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Alee, were you aware of your angel status?
That would be so sweet, I am very grateful

We need to go on a wild apple hunt some time soon girlfriend! ;)

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I sent you an email! I hope I didn't ramble too much :D

Nora and I are over our colds so anytime next week would be wonderful apple time! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  8:13:58 PM  Show Profile
I strongly recommend anyone over 35 to read Dr. Christiane Northrup's book "The Wisdom of Menopause". It answers a lot of questions & even helped me to understand my mother better. Back when she went through it in the early 80's there wasn't much information available on the subject.

Dr. Northrup also has a PBS special on this that gets aired a lot, hopefully you can catch it. Good luck finding a doctor you are happy with!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Michele Great points that we each have different and unique bodies and we need to take care of them and do what is best for us. I think I would have done the ame thing that you did with the doc, going forward and not reading just the doom and gloom report.
I have read parts of Dr Northrups book, also Silent Passage. There is so much more out there now, to just let us know what some of our choices are.
Being active in our health care is important. I started having hot flashes at 38, I am 50, soon to be 51. Drat, periods haven't stopped yet....ahhhhhh
I like this stage in my life, and how I feel about myself. Yeah, I have those days that oh my, who is that in the mirror....cause in your head you still look like you did when you were 18.....lol truth, I earned every one of these smile line wrinkles, and the gray hair, okay I confess I love the color red and I do mean love so I color it, but that gray hair is earned as well.
So there are challenges and the emotions, dear Lord, thank you for blessing my husband with a great deal of humor.....even he has his moments.....
I love that you are discussing this.....great job girls

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  07:56:06 AM  Show Profile
I love all the advice. I will be 47 in Nov and I am having night sweats, hot flashes and the occasional I am going to kill you feeling. I don't mind getting older but these last few months have been trying! Dawn I will have to read that book. I can't wait to be on the other side of menopause! and either can my husband :)
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  7:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Gals, I am nowhere near the change yet, but I thought I would post anyway.

I've had a terrible, terrible time with Aunt Flo my whole life. Until recently, when I switched to vegan and eliminated dairy from my diet. I actually had my first "accident" because I didn't have any symptoms, Flo usually came in screaming before. It makes sense - all the hormones given to cows DO make their way to us, and those hormones do affect us, apparently they really affect me - they wanted to diagnose me with endometriosis, they were so bad.

And, I got away from tampons. I hate pads, I really do. Then I realized getting rid of those helped me. Then I learned that some manufacturers of feminine products add potassium to the pads and tampons during the bleaching process, to make you bleed more and use more product. I use natural, undyed pads now.

So my question is, do you suppose some of women's troubles with the transition are because of dairy, and the products that have been tampered with?
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  07:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendation on Dr. Christine Northrup, I am heading for Alibris as soon as I finish this post!

I'm 51 and I can see my body is changing, but so far it's been subtle changes, not extremely noticeable ones. I have a lot more severe cramping with my periods lately, but they don't last as long, but they're more frequent. I sometimes sweat at night, but usually it's on hot nights, and I occasionally have intense "hot" flashes - (I get sweaty, clammy, and weak, feel like I'm going to pass out) but because I had bariatric surgery seven years ago, I get similar reactions whenever I eat or drink something sugary -- so I'm having trouble distinguishing if I'm in that peri-menopause state or if something else is happening! Maybe the book will help.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, Those are very good suggestions. I think you have to experiment until you find what works for you. I know the more I exercise the better I feel and staying away from sweets which can be very hard at times!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic "THE CHANGE OF LIFE" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page