Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Need some ideas Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  10:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
In a few months, I plan on going back to work full time. I have been a SAHM now for over 10 months. I have decluttered to the point where we have the necessities and a few things we love. I need to figure out how I am going to keep things under control one I go back to work full time. My schedule will be Mon-Fri, but I still want to keep as much time for family/fun.

So how do you farmgirls do it?

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  01:51:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gal pal! Pat yourself on your well-organized back because you've already won the big battle.....you HAVE decluttered!! I find a tiny continuing annoyance that can grow to gargantuan portions in a matter of days is MAIL!!! I have learned to deal with it immediately, so no little piles begin to accumulate; if I slack off and get lazy or preoccupied it does not take long to get back to the state of too much to handle in one sitting, therefore gets put off. I put the bills to be paid in one place and mags to be read get dealt with as soon as possible. Unless a mag is truly a keeper, I now rip out pages that I believe I want to utilize later and recycle the rest of the mag. Now, sit back and relax cause you're gonna get a boatload of good ideas, I feel certain! Nance
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  02:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Now keep in mind that this is coming from one who hasn't decluttered a thing and whose house is a wreck, BUT I have read a lot about it...

I'd set a schedule for cleaning. Either a ceretain room/area per week or per day.
Then you can just focus on that space and keeping it clean during that time, along with a daily 'small' duties like picking things up off the floor, dishes, etc...

I do like FlyLady's ( www.flylady.net ) schedule for this type of stuff. She schedules a weekly house cleaning (vacuuming, dusting, and such) and a daily routine for maintenance.

Congratulations on all your hard work! I bet it feels great!
I'm proud (and a little awe-struck) of you!

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  08:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh trust me!! It has taken alot of time and a lot of soul searching to get down to just what we want or need!! But I had to do it for my sanity. I swear I have decluttered an entire HOUSE of stuff to the donations center. By the 5th truck load, the guy at the center asked me if someone had died and was I getting rid of their things. : ) I was too embarrassed to go back, so I fould 2 other places to donate.

I used to help people clean out houses as a job and boy was that an eye opener!! I remember one lady had clothes from 1960's with tags still on them, 800 pairs of shoes, and thousands of other things, all rotting, smelly or ruined from storage. Makes one think.

Another reason I did this was my sanity. DH is a good man but messy and never helps me clean (whole 'nother story) I find the less I have, the less he has to mess up. I have always lived pretty simple anyway. People used to think my apartments were either robbed or I was so poor, I couldn't afford anything. I just liked it that way. I would rather paint wall than buy things to fill up a room. I grew up in a VERY cluttered home and while fun and interesting, I don't like that for myself.

Anywho- I struggled with the sentimental stuff a bit but I was never one to keep something because it belonged to someone. I am very satisfied with their memories and I know they won't disown me because I didn't keep their things.

The whole lot of us also suffers from allergies, so I have to keep it simple and clean.

Thanks for your input.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Need some ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page