Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 New Front Load washer spin issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic New Front Load washer spin issues Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  9:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Ok girls, I've never had a washer/dryer before, and I purchased those front loaders for our new laundry room (ok, closet ;)). Several times now, I've washed bathroom rugs or dog quilts, not REAL heavy items, but when the wash/rinse/spin cycle is complete and it says that it's alright to open the door, it's like I'm literally pulling these clothes from the river--dripping puddles of water and so heavy with water that I couldn't put them in the dryer if I wanted to. Could my washer be off--I mean, not leveled or something? Occasionally it can make a pretty weird noise when it gets going in the spin, and if there is a full load, it almost seems like it's going to take off and be airborne. Even walks the tiniest bit.

Since I don't have experience to base it on, any thoughts would be helpful. I do have a warranty, so my next call will be to Sears service dept.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  05:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like you need to call for service, Jonni. I just bought a GE front loader and it's so quiet, I have to lean over and put my ear to it to make sure it's turned on. And, as long as I set the spin cycle ok for the kind of clothes I'm washing, nothing drips.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:37:13 AM  Show Profile
You may have something caught in the pump. That happened to me- it was the string to a sleeping bag that had found it way down inside. It had all twisted into a ball and would not let anything pass. Best to call and have someone check it out. Oh, mine sounds like an airplane engine as well when it's in full spin!! My daughter's cat will hear it and run to sit and watch the clothes spinning. Silly cat!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  07:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Mine sounds like it is taking off too. Never has though! :) Sometimes I have had the same problem. I thought maybe it was the drain was not draining fast enough. We have an old septic system. I just send it though another final spin cycle and it seems to work. Mybe I will have my husband take a look and see what he can come up with. good luck
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  07:08:46 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

CALL THE COMPANY without delay. I'm shouting, yes. I had always used Maytag washers and dryers. Last time we purchased, we still got Maytags, but we got front loads. Big mistake...big. We finally called our dealer; he has known us for years; and he told us something very interesting. They will trade a defective front-load washer for a brand new regular washer. So we got a brand-new washer after my front-load had continually been at the shop for 6 months. We also found out that these were very experimental; I know they are supposed to be more efficient, but I really didn't like mine at all. I still have the dryer, and it is wearing out, too. Regular Maytag dryers will run an average of 15 years; not this front load one that was made to specifically go with the front load washer.

The other thing they told us is that a properly working front-load washer wrings the clothes out more than a regular one; so the front-load dryer is made specifically to not dry as long or as much. So, when we got the regular washer back, my dryer indeed did not dry as well. sigh.

I'm glad you other ladies like your front-load washers; I think that just having one that was in the shop constantly for six months really "poisioned" my mind toward them. I also think that as the few years have gone by, they have improved them and that they are much quieter and efficient.

Val
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  3:36:41 PM  Show Profile
I have a front loading Maytag Neptune that is probably 5 yrs old (cant remember exactly). I love mine and havent had any problems with it whatsoever.....knock on wood! I love that it uses less water and less detergent. I havent had the issue that you are talking about but I think you could be right about it being off balance. I would try to level it before I called the service people and see if that works. It might save you some money on a service call if it is a balance problem.........just my opinion.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  07:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
Make sure your washer is level and if that doesn't work call the repair man. I had Maytags for 20+years. Loved them never a problem and they ran almost all the time with 5 kids who are all very active. When the time came to get new ones for the new house we had to have stackers. The Maytags were out of our price range (for just two of us now)so we went with the Whirlpool Duets. Love them. The dryer does at times shake when the washer goes into the spin cycle but other then that they are great. I would still suggest anyone with heavy laundry needs to look at the Maytags as you know the commercial says "The Maytag man is the lonest man on earth." But we have been very happy with our frontend loaders.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  11:55:45 AM  Show Profile
I have been very happy with my Maytag Neptune front loaders as well...however DO NOT hessitate to call the repair man. I had to call one out only 4 months after we bought ours...there was problems with the seal on the door.. I think it was MY fault. I over-loaded it with 2 bedspreads....my mistake, but they still fixed for free.

We wash alot of laundry, and I use alot less water and alot less soap...

Oh, and I would for sure call, when my spin cycle is done the clothes are spun so they are almost dry...they dry on the line or in the dryer alot faster. Something is definately wrong if yours is super wet!

Good Luck!

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  04:22:01 AM  Show Profile
I just moved, and bought a new Frigidaire front load washer. I love the washer, and my clothes are nearly dry when they come out of the machine. I turned my spin cycle to "low" because when the washer is spinning, mine too sounds like an airplane taking off. Once, my machine was spinning so fast that the bottle of detergent shook right off the top of my washing machine (luckily it was closed!) My only grumble about front load washers is that because they spin the clothes *so* well, I end up peeling them off the walls of the washer drum as I load them into the dryer.

I also kept hearing that a front load washer would do wonders to cut down on my energy bill...since the clothes were half dry when they came out of the washer, they would need less time in the dryer. But, my sweaters still come out damp.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic New Front Load washer spin issues Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page