Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 How do you know its time to go fulltime
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How do you know its time to go fulltime Next Topic  

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  3:20:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies!
This question is for all who have made a living out of farming fulltime. How did you know it was the right time? I work fulltime and so does my husband, we have our own little goat outfit going on. Just looking for a little insight/advice. Thanks!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  08:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm only full time in the aspect of I don't hold down any other job...not that farming is bringing in enough money to support anyone. In fact, I'm not sure that there are many farmers out there who don't hold some other sort of job.

When my grandparents were dairy farming, they both still worked off the farm. Grandma worked in retail, Grandpa worked for Select Sires (AI breeding; at least he was still farm related!) They just couldn't compete with the huge dairies in the area, not with 30 or so cows.

I think you need to decide if you've found yourself a niche market that needs to be filled, then figure if you can afford to lose your income while that market is growing.

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  08:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Rob has a outside of our home again, but it is mostly part time through the Winter, which frees him up for all of the things needing done around here. We have buildings being built and now planting seeds is starting (this weekend!! YAY!!!) and it helps to have that little bit coming in as well as the income I make sewing and crafting. I don't know that we will ever be both home full time like we were Zoe's first year, but at lest he is doing something he loves to do when he isnt here doing everything else he loves to do.
His brother is a commercial wheat and bean farmer, and he still holds a job, as does his wife, but that is mostly becuase of the toys and such he likes to have, I am sure. Nonetheless, he works outside of the farm too. I am not sure, but I think that Rob's grandparents both worked ont he dairy (they owned at one time, what is now Land o' Lakes....they sold what was Sanitary Dairy here in MN.) I also have distant relatives who worked Rob's family's farm at one point....
My Grandpa worked outside of his farm for only a short while, as the armory, but other than that he was a farmer and a stock car driver and nothing else messed with his time.
It would be nice tomake it all work...if we could make the mere $1000 we need to make monthly to keep things running,m then we could, but being as smasll as we are at the moment, I am not seeing it any time in the next few years. It's a goal though :)

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  09:51:18 AM  Show Profile
I live in farm country, and everyone here has more than one thing going. Some of it is seasonal, of course, but I don't know any farmers who aren't also carpenters, mechanics, firewood cutters, or something else on the side. Even the rich ones have their hands in several pots. I think the wisdom behind this is the same as what's behind that old saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

Are you and your husband both thinking of quitting your jobs, or just you? Both quitting sounds pretty risky to me, but only you know if your goat operation has the potential to support you both year-'round.

If it's just you who's considering trading off job for farm, it might be a good idea to investigate the possibility of taking some of your work home with you, like telecommuting, to see if that might allow you to farm more intensively while still having a cushion. Or see if your job could be shared with another person so you have it part-time as a hedge against lean times on the farm -- and there will be those!

Have any pix of your goats? I'd love to see them!

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 25 2007 09:52:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  09:59:29 AM  Show Profile
I read that most full time farmers only MAKE about 20,000 a year when they factor in supplies and upkeep and all of that.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  05:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
What is your goat outfit? Do you breed them? I had goats for a short time, 3 months, until my neighbors made it impossible for me to keep them without being stressed constantly. But I made goat milk soaps to sell, and made cheese, ice cream and baked goods for our family and friends. I would love to have goats again (not on this property though, we'd have to move) and set up a dairy so that I could sell cheese and milk as well as produce from my garden from a farm stand at my home. Thats my farm dream! Now, I have to sell at a Farmer's Market due to zoning restrictions on my street.
Do you have a SCORE chapter in your state? I think they are nationwide, you can check to see. If you aren't familiar with it, it stands for Service Corps of Retired Executives and they offer free business advice and counseling, like setting up a business plan, registering with the state, help with marketing, financing etc... They may be able to help you figure out what you'll need to make in your business in order to be financially stable should you decide to leave your other job. don't forget about health insurance too. It can be very expensive if you need to buy it as a self employed farmer. I am envious though, I wish I was at the point you are. Keep us posted on your progress. PS I just sent in a counseling request to SCORE in my area for help with marketing my soaps. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  06:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your advice and comments. Our operation is mainly meat production. I know we are not at the point right now to just totally farm. I sure would love to though. I definately have plenty to do around here to keep myself occupied! Will keep everyone posted!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How do you know its time to go fulltime Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page