Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Name That Farm! Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been waffling back and forth on a name for our little farm. I wondered what the farmgirls would think.

At first, I was planning on calling whatever farm we found Pocket Farm. I knew it would be small, and it's also a reference to a Jerry Spinelli book I love, Stargirl. I sometimes call my daughter Pocket Mouse. I also thought it would make a good logo. You could do a pocket with a mouse peeking out, or veggies spilling out of it, whatever.

So, since then I've thought that I wasn't sure I wanted to do that any more. I had sort of connected it with a property we looked at with a house on land that dipped down behind it, and we lost that one to a higher bidder. Also, I made the mistake of googling Pocket Farm, so now I know that there's an organic farm in some other state with the same name, and I can't decide how much that matters.

Then I thought of Bread and Roses farm.

Well, that suits me right down to the ground. I'm a great lover of roses, and posted a pic on the David Austin thread of the copper colored roses I'd use on a sign or logo (and which will certainly be growing someplace out front). I'm also a baker. "Bread and Roses" was a slogan used around the time of the textile worker strikes in Lowell, MA. It was a way of saying that feeding your body isn't enough, you also have to feed your soul. Someone wrote a poem called Bread and Roses, which became a song, which became an anthem. One of my favorite singers has covered it, it turns out, although I didn't know that until recently. I feel like organic farming is deeply connected to the concept. It fuels our whole family. We've made a lot of choices that sacrificed money in exchange for quality of family life, and some of those choices are hard in the short-term, so it would be nice to have a reminder of our "mission statement", so to speak.

But. My hubby thinks it might make people think I sell value-added product, and while I've read of people throwing in baked goods on thin CSA weeks and thought, "I'd totally do that", I know nothing about the ins and outs of it. Also, turns out my oldest son is pretty attached to Pocket Farm, although I offered him the option of starting his own sideline selling things he grows, and calling it "Pocket Money". He's thinking about it, but he's...well, five.

I'm resisting googling for a Bread and Roses farm. I don't wanna know.

Any thoughts?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Gosh...I think they are both great names. I like Pocket farm best just cuz it is short and simple I think. Maybe you could combine them like Roses in my Pocket farm??? I still like Pocket Farm best though.
and "Pocket Money"..what a cute cute idea!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile
I vote Pocket Farm, and here's why: If you do Bread and Roses, but then change to something else, or add something else, the name won't reflect the changes. People will think only bread and roses are produced there. Pocket Farm opens up so many possibilities, and you've got the right idea with the pocket logo; I think it'll be a smash hit!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  5:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I like Pocket Farm too... or what about changing the wording to A Farm in My Pocket. You could use the same concept of a pocket with roses pouring onto a spread of bread & veggies at the bottom of the pocket. Or a rose design on the pocket. Hope that all makes sense.. I can see it in my mind, just sometimes hard to get the words across the same.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~

http://wandascountryhome.com/forsale/index.html
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  06:38:09 AM  Show Profile
I love Pocket Farm, it sounds exactly like what you describe. Its cozy sounding & sounds like a name you would trust for a farm, if that maked sense.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  09:36:28 AM  Show Profile
I gotta go with the consensus here, Pocket Farm is too cute.
I don't think it'd be a big deal with another farm of the same name in another state...as long as the farm's not really close to your town.

I love the logo...I see the front pocket on a pair of overalls.

Good luck, Sarah.
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile
I vote for Pocket Farm! It's cute!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  5:48:17 PM  Show Profile
One more vote for "Pocket Farm." I sure wish I'd thought of it!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  6:56:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what to do...I'm sure getting more "signs" on Bread and Roses. I thought I could put up a quote, "Feeding hearts as well as bodies" or something like that. Make it a little hippie-ish.

The thing is, Pocket Farm doesn't say anything to me about who we are. And the other Pocket Farm is in Maine, and it's organic also, so we would likely encounter each other through the NE growers Co-op at some point, or people who knew them would encounter us...that makes me kind of uncomfortable. It IS really cute. It is. I don't know. I'm waffling badly. I definitely like the Bread and Roses logo I've drawn a lot better than the Pocket Farm one.

This is harder than I thought it would be!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  8:06:13 PM  Show Profile
...AND...on the other hand..."feeding hearts as well as bodies" is a motto that I just LOVE!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  06:08:28 AM  Show Profile
AND, unbeknownst to me, Katherine Paterson just came out with a book last fall about the Bread and Roses strike, so any teacher or homeschooling parent who loved Lyddie is probably going to serve this up to his/her charges this year. It'll be at every Scholastic Book Fair, that's for sure. Hardcover this year, paperback next. That goes a long way toward name recognition.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  08:14:26 AM  Show Profile
You know, Pocket Farm is cute, but I think I would go for Bread and Roses Farm..I love the history behind it. And the slogan...feeding hearts and bodies..
That's my vote.
K

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  10:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I like the story behind Bread and Roses too. It's more personal. plus with your added blub under it, it would cover so many things.

rachel

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  5:12:13 PM  Show Profile
I vote for Pocket Farm. I love the idea of coming up with a name for our little two acre place. I have a few months to think about it so maybe DH and I can come up with something before then. I would like to have a painted sign with the name of our place and put it up on the wall in the new house. I wish I could paint it myself but I am not that great at stuff like that. Maybe I can come up with something using precut letters or something and mount it on a board. That might work.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  06:40:57 AM  Show Profile
Pocket Farm!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  6:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Bread and Roses makes me think of Guns and Roses. Pocket Farm sounds more farmlike to me. But, if you think of it in connection to the other one that you were outbid on, can you tweak the name a little? Or maybe come up with something else having to do with roses or your mission statement? Sweet Rose Farm... Rose Petal Farm.... Rosedale Farm... Pocket Rose Farm....(then you could do a logo of a pocket with a rose on it) Wild Rose Farm... just some ideas

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  10:25:12 PM  Show Profile
They are both sweet . . . or you could combine and call it Rose Pocket Farm, as that still has such a sweet sound. But I don't think bread and pocket combined would work . . . it would give you pocket bread . . . then you'd have to sell Pitas! LOL! Best of luck on your venture!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Name That Farm! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page