angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile
I thought it would be interesting if we shared stories about some of our plants that perhaps grew where they shouldn't, bloomed differently than expected or came back from the dead, something like that. Something unexpected. For instance I have what seem to be evergreen Hollyhocks. They NEVER die back! There they will be with ice formed on the leaves and yet as green as ever. They are green right now and have been ever since I planted them 4 years ago. Unforunately, they only bloom once a year (black).

Another wierd thing was once my children gave me a rose bush for Mother's Day. It never did very well and one day my husband ran over it with the lawnmower down to the ground. Gone forever, or so I thought. But about 10 years later, I noticed a rose sticking out of the ground about 4 inches tall. No bush and not one leaf. But there it was a perfect rose. It looked so fake. The rose withered and there is still no trace of that bush.

But my favorite story is about my Grandmother. She passed away on Dec. 11 2001 and I bought her a beautiful saddle for her casket. They placed it on her grave after her burial. Early March I walked to the grave yard from my house. They hadn't removed the flowers because it was still very cold. I looked at the saddle on the ground and it was very dead except a tiny piece of boxwood. I pulled it out thinking perhaps I could propagate it. I did and now I have a very special topiary. I plan to take pieces and propagate for my children and grandchildren. Alot of people keep the roses of funeral arrangements but I like this even more because it feels more hopeful. And when I look at it I know that just because something is gone doesn't mean that a part of it can't go on and be beautiful.

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:23:13 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful topic--
Ny mom and dad planted a forsythia when we moved to Kentucky from West Virginia. We had purchased a house, after living in a trailer, moving around (and around) and they wanted to commemorate their big day. That was in 1979 and by the time my father passed away in January, 1996, mom and I prepared to cut it down because it was all but dead, too. The Spring after daddy died, that forsythia looked like it was lit from the inside, it was so full of blooms--absolutely bursting!! I've never seen anything like it, and it hasn't stopped since.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  8:05:29 PM  Show Profile
My story isn't quite as touching...more silly me. My gardening skills have improved, but in the beginning, my thumb was more purple than green! I had noticed an interesting plant growning in another part of the yard, and so dug it up and transplanted it to the garden next to the house. I watered it, fertilized it, and it responded well. Grew and grew and grew, but I couldn't identify it.

Well...I realized one day while walking through an untended pasture to get my horse that I noticed some similarities in those weedy pasture plants and my cultivated garden specimen. For Pete's sake, I had transplanted a weed and gave it Miracle Grow to boot.

I hate to say it, but that was the best growing plant I have ever tended!

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  8:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Well Sandy a weed is only a weed because somebody said so.
I had pumpkins and gourds growing in and on my compost heap. I never did a thing to them and we had a very hot and dry summer but they all grew perfect and all about the same size. There were 14 pumpkins and 3 gourds. ????

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  9:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Sandy I did the same thing. I had planted a wildflower bed and there was a huge cosmos in the middle. When I went to break up the ground in the fall, I found a great big root right under where that cosmos had been. I dug it up brought it in the house for winter and in the spring I replanted it. I gave it a healthy dose of fertilize and....... well it WAS a fine looking pokeweed.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  9:50:41 PM  Show Profile
I had a pumpkin grow through the wire fence one year...I mean half on one side half on the other side! it was about the size of a basketball too!! I was going to take a picture but the sheep got out and ate the heck out of it and I lost the opportunity.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  06:59:25 AM  Show Profile
10 years ago we moved into our 1912 old house. Nothing much in the yard, especially in the back. Over the years I have put in flowerbeds etc. Well for the past 3 years I have had deep purple columbine (sp?) coming up. Now seeds fly from the neighbor's yards into mine and visa versa, but no one around me has these deep purple flowers, no one. They never were around when we first moved in either. After talking to the neighbor, he told me way before we moved in the whole back half of our back yard was covered in these flowers and then they disappeared due to lack of care and were never seen again, now they have come back. The only thing I can think of is I must have dug up old seed buried in the ground and with the watering and mulching I do they came back.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Jan 26 2007 07:00:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  07:47:18 AM  Show Profile
I had some carrots that I planted. When I picked them that summer they were very little and not really good. I put my garden to bed for the winter but in early spring I started to notice some carrot tops peaking up. I checked it out and sure enough there were carrots. MAny were very oddly shaped! Here are some pics.

You can draw your own conclusions on the last one.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jan 26 2007 07:52:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  07:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
My garden got a lil grassy and weedy last summer. By the time that I got out there to do something about it a mamma rabbit had taken up residence in half of it. I'd never seen so many tunnels in the grass. I found out the were there when i pulled a weed and a baby rabbit cried. I about jumped out of my skin. lol My son thought that was pretty funny seeing me jump.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  08:03:24 AM  Show Profile
We had cukes growing where the cukes were planted, but we also had some about 100 feet away growing with the carrots. I cannot figure how they got there!

When we tilled up the yard last year we found the entire carcass of a fawn. It was sad but also a very neat lesson for Grace.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Julie -

You might want to get some pants for that carrot

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  4:45:45 PM  Show Profile
HA!!!!! Anne you make me laugh!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  7:42:51 PM  Show Profile
you girls are always so funny! I love the growing a weed stories, and the carrots! LOL!
Jonni- what a sweet,sweet story!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Choctaw Mama
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Barbara
AZ
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  11:19:36 AM  Show Profile
The carrots are very intertaining indeed! Gals remember this, one persons weed is another persons herb or food. We native americans have been eating and gathering these "weeds" for centuries and have flourished. Now to my story: Two and 1/2 years ago I planted a garden in my daughters property and we installed a tomato plant. We have harvested off that bush all this time and it just died in the last frost we had. The Egg plant next to it also has been plugging right along with it. The funny thing is, we borrowed the tomato chages from a friend and she is still waiting to get them back. Ha ha

Don't forget to breathe!
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Choctaw Mama

We native americans have been eating and gathering these "weeds" for centuries and have flourished.

True enough! I was thinking that that poke plant could have provided some yummy berries, and then the roots could have been dug to make some breast oil! :)
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile
I did this at a YOUNG AGE please remember. My father grew the most beautiful roses in our yard. He wasn't always around for things but I credit him for my growing need. I wanted to be as good a gardner as he but he wasn't into teaching so one day I thought I would grow something as nice buy his beautiful roses. I dug up a plant from the woods next to our house & planted it between 2 rose bushes. He hadn't been out in the yard (between binges) so my plant was growing. I tended it w/ great pride. He finally went out to prune & WEED & pulled up my beautiful POISION IVY. He itched & weeped so bad I thought He was going to kill me. I had NO allergic reaction so I never itched from it & had no idea what it was. He is gone now, died in 1993 but even on his death bed we would laugh about it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  07:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Aren't poke berries poisonous? Well, anyway there are plenty of pokeweed around here. There's one over by the edge of the hayfield that looks like a tree. About 12 foot tall. Most people around here eat poke salad sallet?
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  10:18:44 AM  Show Profile
I could have sworn I read somewhere in my wildcrafting books that poke berries aren't poisonous, but you don't want to eat too many of them. But according to Euell Gibbons, you can make a decoction of the berries to "purify the blood". The young shoots are the part most often eaten. The mature plant is poisonous, and the root is powerful medicine.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  10:44:12 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I love the pictures of the carrots!
My dad and mom say that when I was small, they had a garden and grew a carrot that looked exactly like Richard Nixon!
I wish they'd snapped a picture of that one!

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  10:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
First of all, LOVE the carrots! LOL

I never really had a green thumb until my gramma passed away. I think I got my new thumb from her. When she passed away, I still learning a lot about my skill as a gardener, but I HAD to take plants and starts from gramma's. So I took starts from her lavendar, huneysuckle, sedum and daylillies. Then I uprooted her hydrengia, and about 4 rosebushes. I wish now, that I have taken more roses, but that's another story... So I planted all these things, and the all survived, but her roses never really did well. The deer would eat the buds before they could bloom, but bushes managed not to die. about two and 1/2 years later, we moved to the Oregon coast, and up came starts and plants once again. My gramma's roses loved it so much here, that they bloomed in their temporary pots over and over. Once fall came, I transplanted them to their new beds, and prunned them for winter. They all settled down, and have been quite cozy. HOWEVER, this last Christmas (gramma did Christmas RIGHT) one of her roses put out three buds and they all bloomed. In the cold, rainy, Oregon winter, it bloomed. I really felt like my gramma was saying hello. Christmas is the time of year I think of her the most. That, and when I'm in my garden.

rachel

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Strange gardening stories Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page