Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Growing Zone 5? When will you start?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing Zone 5? When will you start? Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile
In Ohio, I was in Growing Zone 6. Here in NY, we're in Zone 5, and I am trying to choose orchard fruit that's hardy to Zone 4. I'm not sure when to start my veggies, though.

Normally, I'd put my peas in the ground the week of St. Patrick's Day. Herbs would go in when there was still a risk of frost, and I'd put tomatoes out around May 18th. I don't have it figured out here yet (I didn't let myself, I was afraid we wouldn't find a farm in time!), and I'm also trying to figure out how much extra protection my tomatoes will need. I do not have a greenhouse, and haven't had time to put in cold frames yet, but the house we're buying, which we'll be in by end of March, has a glassed-in sunporch.

What would the farmgirls do?

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  3:16:07 PM  Show Profile
I live in zone 5. My dad used to say we could have a frost until May 15th so don't put out anything fragile (tomatoes, peppers, etc) until after that. I have followed his advice and had great luck.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  4:54:58 PM  Show Profile
I am in zone 5 but a 4ish zone 5 if you ask me. I put out my main garden after Mothers day and have things ready to cover the plants if a frost threatens until at least June. I start tomatoes and peppers inside about the first of April and start them outside in Wall o' Waters..those things are wonderful and protect down to 18 degrees or something like that

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  05:09:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm in zone 5, right near Lake Michigan. Our frost-free date is May 15, although it 'used to be' May 30. Peas can be planted before the frost-free date, if you are ready to cover them if need be. Tomatoes don't like cold ground, so we don't put those in until after May 30. They'll just sit and sulk anyway if they are in early.

Can't wait til spring!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  4:42:22 PM  Show Profile
USDA zones aren't an adequate tool for growth except when you're dealing with perennials and live in a climate where you can grow in winter. The only thing they tell us is the average coldest temperature in an area each year.

It's much more important to know your average last frost date in the spring and first frost date in the fall for your area. There's more information on USDA zones here: http://www.farm-garden.com/marketfarmer/understanding_usda_hardiness_zones

Robin
www.robinfollette.com
www.thymeforewe.com
www.mainenature.org
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile
We sort of fluctuate between Zone 5-6 winters being on the border, but as a rule of thumb we plant anything tender Mother's Day on, but you can get spring onions,and peas in early. We always plant peas on St. Patrick's Day and have only ever lost one crop and that was due to a flood! Sometimes you need to cover them if it's near feezing but they like it for the most part. Also broccoli, cauliflower can be started in cold frames along with whatever cold weather crops you like (kale, chard,spinach, etc...) I am looking forward to harvesting my first crop of white asparagus this year! Yahoo! Happy planting!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Feb 01 2007 08:12:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing Zone 5? When will you start? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page