LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  07:41:56 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering if someone can tell me when I can get my bulbs into the ground? I am in the Memphis area of TN. I am itching to get started on my front garden! DH ordered me some border lilies and some other bulbs from Michigan Bulb, they don't get here until mid March but I was hoping to get my cannas in before they got here. I have my front garden area mapped to scale and have it totally planned out with each type/color flower I want and DH was nice enough to order me what I wanted plus a bunch of Glad bulbs to plant along our privacy fence. I am so excited about this, a bit obsessed from what I'm told
~Liz

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile
What planting zone are you in Liz? Do you have a frost date? (The date of the last "likely " frost in your area? Canna's are pretty fleshy and get zapped by frost here in my area early fall. We don't usually plant them until mid -lt. April even though we have had frost up to Mother's Day. You might get some leaf damage if you plant too early. You are much farther south than me so I am not sure of your particular planting dates.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  11:25:20 AM  Show Profile
Liz, Liz, Liz; there is no such thing as being a bit obsessed when it comes to horticulture! Embrace your passion, gal pal! What about planting them in a shallow pot, just to get them going, in a protected spot, and if the weather gets dicey you can take them inside. That way, they get a head start on the growing season and can be up and running when you get the other things in the mail! Get growing, girlfriend!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  11:33:39 AM  Show Profile
I am Zone 7, and I wasn't sure about starting them in a pot and then replanting in garden. To be safe I will probably have to wait until I receive the bulbs and plants from Michigan Bulb and plant them all together. I am just really wanting to get started and enjoy my flowers, I'll only enjoy them one season though because we are moving in the fall. I will dig up a few bulbs when the house sells so I can take some of them to California with me.
Thanks Gals!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  11:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Liz- Try planting your cannas underground in a wire planter basket. At the end of the season you can "lift them and take to your new home. We have to dig them up annually here in early September so they don't get frosted. Mark what you planted on the basket and then you will also know your varieties. Gently remove excess soil, dry out, and bag(brown paper) with a little peat moss thrown in, store in a cool dry place and plant at your new home next Spring. You won't have to leave these behind if you don't want to.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  9:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I have some cannas growing in my back yard. This made me think about digging some of them and moving them to our new property to plant. I dont know why I hadnt thought of it before. I also have some day lilies that could be transplanted. I might dig the bulbs and hold them until the weather is warmer before I actually plant them. Thanks for making me think of doing this cause our new place is just a cleared off spot in a bunch of trees nothing has ever been planted so I have to start from scratch......even grass.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Canna Bulbs.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page