Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Trying to find the perfect piece of furniture is
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Trying to find the perfect piece of furniture is Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile
frustrating!

We're finishing the kitchen (dh is putting up the interior walls as I type), and I have one piece of furniture I desparately need. We have a wall that's 105" long, unbroken, and my dream was to put some sort of old cupboard type of thing there. In December, I found exactly what I wanted, but it's not for sale. It was a cupboard in a boarding school kitchen and was 104" long and perfect. I want glass doored cabinets on top that rest on the base, which has wood doors. I'd prefer a metal counter top (like a hugely oversized hoosier cabinet but without the flour bin, etc.) but wood would be great, too.

So far, I've looked everywhere I know and can't find what I'm looking for. A friend suggested putting 2 hoosier cabinets that look almost alike on the 2 ends with a desk or something in the middle, but I'm really hoping for a one-piece look (without the look of modern kitchen cabinets).

It dawned on me when I woke up this morning that I need to tell everyone I know what I'm looking for and maybe, maybe something will turn up. So here I am! DH thinks we should make do until I find what I really want, and I agree, but patience isn't my strong suit, so this is really hard. Especially since in our family the kitchen is where we hang out, etc. - I really want to get it completely finished.

So any help/prayers you can send my way will be appreciated (along with prayers for patience ). Thanks!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  06:54:27 AM  Show Profile
How handy is your hubby? Maybe you can find a photo of what you want and he can make it for you? You can use recycled lumber to get the old look, maybe find old cabinet doors from a recycle center, etc. That has always been my thing, if I can't find what I want, my Dad (he is the handy one) builds it for me, I just pay for the materials and I do the finish work.

Just an idea.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Anne, I briefly considered that and may end up going that route, but if possible, I'd really like to find something already made. Between finishing the interior of this house and working on the property this spring (landscaping and preparing a garden), and everything else that needs doing, along with his full-time job, I really hate to ask him to do put something else on his list. Poor guy, he works all day on the house, even when he is on the night shift at work! But you're right -- that would be a good solution and I could make do until then.

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:04:58 AM  Show Profile
What about checking at your local salvage yard? They sometimes find built-in pieces that need to be removed from homes being torn down. I bet you could adapt one to fit in your space pretty easily. I am sure if you told them what you are looking for, they would keep an eye out for you. After all, they want to make a sale!! good luck in your hunt!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  12:35:34 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the closest salvage yard (except for cars) is in St. Louis, 2 hrs away. I called my "buddy" up in that area who I bought my clawfoot tub from. He rehabs old houses in the city and has all sorts of contacts since some rehabbers specialize. He told me he rarely sees something like this and when he does, they're already spoken for. Bless his heart, he called around to some other guys, to save me the long-distance calls, and none of them had anything like this and said they rarely see something that big, either.

I went on line and searched for hours at every salvage yard, their links, antique shops, etc., I could find and didn't have any luck.

Go to Top of Page

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  06:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Patti, there is a business (I'm pretty sure) that is out of Missouri that makes pieces like the one you are looking for from wood reclaimed from old houses and barns. I met the owners at the flea market in Nashville in October and bought a large server/hutch piece and a tall glass front cabinet from them, to use in a house we are building. The name is Willow Creek, or something similar. I will try to find the exact name and number as I also want to contact them about making an island for my kitchen (hoping they plan to come back to our flea market soon). Their pieces are great because they look very old, and the materials are. Their prices were very reasonable also. I'll try to find the info tonight and post tonight/tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  7:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Here is the website address - Willowcreekfurnituredesigns.com

They make beautiful custom pieces.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  9:13:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Robin. I'm going to check them out right now

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Trying to find the perfect piece of furniture is Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page