Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  2:54:47 PM  Show Profile
I went out this morning to get something out for supper this evening and I noticed a few things didn't feel frozen solid.

I think my deep freezer has died

I took out some of the excess junk, check for unthawed food. Then I removed any ice that was around the seal area, made sure the lid shut tight, made sure the outlet had power. Then I had to leave for work and pray for the best.

I am really agonizing, going home to check on it tonight.
Say a little prayer for my freezer........

Plus I can't decide if I should replace it or try to do with out.

I also read that if you have your freezers in an un-heated are it is harder on them in the cold months than the hot. I never would have thought that.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear about your freezer! I had a person who came to service my furnace leave mine unplugged, and had to get rid of everything in it. Luckily, that was early spring, so there wasn't as much in it as in late fall.

Good luck-I hope it turns out to be ok!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  7:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Before we were married, my husband kept a freezer in his unheated garage. Some of the items inside it froze to the point of bursting. Depending on their packing. I would price new deep freezers and compare it to the cost of a repairman coming out. Good luck.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Ok, freezer NOT update. It has been so cold here that I can't really tell if the freezers working or not??? Good in one way, not good in another, geez~~

I put in the freezer thermometer, and it is on the high end of what the freezer should be. But everything still feels frozen solid.

My next dilemma is do I replace it??? I did find a 3.4 cu. ft freezer I sorta like. But then I got to thinking do I really need it, is it just wasting energy, can I live with out it??
We used to use it for alot of meat, but we have really reduced our meat consumption, we hardly eat any. I also used it to freeze veggies, but they could really be canned instead. Decisions, decisions.
Do you guys have freezers????

I do have a friend that is a appliance repairman, I got his cell number out and might give him a call to see if it can be fixed. But most of what I have read states it is usually costly and you can almost get a new one for less. We live in such a disposable world, it's just a shame.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Oh My, Freezer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page