Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 from Illinois all the way to NC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic from Illinois all the way to NC Next Topic  

prairiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

stacey
fuquay varina NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  8:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I wanted to share my story....I grew up in central Illinois to be specific in Rossville the antiquing capital of the state. My parents bought an old farm house on the edge of town surrounded on 3 sides by corn/asparagus fields. My parents weren't farmers per se but my mother was definitely a farmgirl. She tended a garden where we grew everything that we needed from flowers to vegetables. Mom also planted an orchard with apples, peaches, pears,cherries, crabapples and plums. Of course some of my most cherished memories come from this time in my life such as waking up in the morning and going straight outside in my nightgown to sit in the middle of the strawberry patch to eat my breakfast or going geode hunting or walking to the next farm to visit the cows. I like to say that I learned to garden through osmosis ... it just happened. I have always been interested in plants, nature and all things organic and just like that when I bought my house it all came back to me. I am a single mom so I do what I can. I live out in the country in a small subdivision in North Carolina and have hopes of having a farm of sorts one day where I will live forever. I currently am very interested in all kinds of perrenials and have nice big flower gardens to cut down on grass. (I am glad that others think like I do about grass) This year I have my first vegetables in the ground so we will see where that takes me. I haven't been back to Illinois in a very long time and am told that the orchard my parents planted is huge and very beautiful. I hope some little girl is having breakfast on a regular basis in my backyard.

PrairieGirl

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  4:18:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome,
Your start sounds like alot of us, we grew up or partially grew up on a farm,and secretly long to be back on the farm.
Please share your stories with us.
Enjoy the website.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  6:19:32 PM  Show Profile
To a fellow Prairiegirl - I grew up in Illinois, too, in Springfield. Welcome! We look forward to reading about your life in NC.
jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  12:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Stacey I was born and raised in Northern Illinois in the Rockford area. I left when I was 19 to travel the world and eventually settled in Texas in 1977 when I enrolled at the University of Texas in Austin. I know live on a tiny farm near Fort Worth.

Will look forward to getting to know you and all of our other newcomers.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  2:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello all you prairiegirls, although I havent been there, it sounds wonderful. I can remember reading all the little house on the prairie books and picture what the prairie must look like. There is a prairie women adventures and retreat but I think its in Kansas. Have any of you heard about it? You can go there to work on the ranch w/ them or just kick back. It's called the Homestead Ranch. I'd love to hear more from all of you about the prairie. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

prairiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

stacey
fuquay varina NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by connio

Welcome Stacey I was born and raised in Northern Illinois in the Rockford area. I left when I was 19 to travel the world and eventually settled in Texas in 1977 when I enrolled at the University of Texas in Austin. I know live on a tiny farm near Fort Worth.

Connie

cozycottage

Go to Top of Page

prairiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

stacey
fuquay varina NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prairiegirl

quote:
Originally posted by connio

Connie

cozycottage

Go to Top of Page

prairiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

stacey
fuquay varina NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Connie and JPBluesky,

My mom is from Rockford! And I spent alot of time in Springfield too my aunt live there. Connie do you remember Fishers Potato Chips just had a bag of them about a month ago you can order from their website!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile
Stacey, Did Fishers market sunflower seeds for snacking? In the 60's as a kid I would buy little packages of Fishers sunflower seeds and eat them all the time! I'd hate to think how many seeds I have eaten in my life. I could pop several in my mouth and crack them and eat the seeds at once. They were a popular treat for Kansans! Oh by the way welcome to this forum! Glad you are here! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  8:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Fisher's chips are the best. My father-in-law lives in Rockford (Cherry Valley) and my hubby grew up there. We go back at least once a year. There is the best quilt shop there on Perryville Highway!

In Springfield, it was Crane's potato ships and Mel-O-Cream donuts. The best for both of those foods!

jpbluesky

The sun is but a morning star.

Last sentence from "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  04:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello PrairieGirl,
Where is Rossville? Although I was born and raised in Iowa, I had a quilt shop in Galena, IL for a couple of years. Had to close it and follow my hubby to his new job, but look fondly back at the wonderful people I met from all over IL. Tell me where the orchard was and this summer I'll just make a detour and go take a pic or two of it if you would like.
Can't wait to hear more stories about living in NC. Do you get the affects of hurricanes?
Welcome to a wonderful world of farmgirls.
JoyIowa

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  3:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Stacey! Welcome! I live 45 minutes away from Rockford!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

prairiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

stacey
fuquay varina NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JoyIowa

Hello PrairieGirl,
Where is Rossville? Although I was born and raised in Iowa, I had a quilt shop in Galena, IL for a couple of years. Had to close it and follow my hubby to his new job, but look fondly back at the wonderful people I met from all over IL. Tell me where the orchard was and this summer I'll just make a detour and go take a pic or two of it if you would like.
Can't wait to hear more stories about living in NC. Do you get the affects of hurricanes?
Welcome to a wonderful world of farmgirls.
JoyIowa

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic from Illinois all the way to NC Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page