knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  04:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you have a good remedy for getting cigarette smoke out of fabrics? Will putting a box of baking soda with it work, or spraying it with an odor eliminating spray? I thought there might be an old time remedy out there I don't know about.
Thanks
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  05:34:54 AM  Show Profile
You can put it in a paper bag with some dryer sheets and newspaper. I think I tries that a long time ago and it worked.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile
I think I have also heard that activated charcoal - like the kind sold for fish aquariums - will help eliminate odors. Place in a covered container with the charcoal...but it might take some time for the odor to disappear.

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

chickenlips
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Belinda
Mesa AZ
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  12:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Is the fabric washable? Will it fit in the washer? If so, you could try adding some Borax and white vinegar to the wash water and let it soak overnight, then wash as usual. Hanging it outside to dry in the sun will help too, the sun & fresh air does wonders for odors and brightens light colors.
But if it's a piece of furniture or something that can't be washed...well, you could use a spray like Febreze I guess, though it's full of chemicals.
May I ask what the item is?

~Belinda~:>
just a farmgirl in the desert
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  04:50:40 AM  Show Profile
It is fabric to make a purse with, I didn't know about the borax and white vinegar. Will the combination of the two fade the fabric.
Thanks
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  11:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Dry cleaning, although costly, may be the best alternative. I have two smoking daughters that sometimes do their laundry here and the smell never comes out of their laundry.
I use Febreze allergen reducer, which doesn't have much of a smell, but is quite effective for spraying the smell out of chair and things where smokers have sat.
Can't you tell I USED to smoke and now the smell drives me crazy????

Jana
Go to Top of Page

chickenlips
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Belinda
Mesa AZ
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  8:14:18 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, sorry it took me so long to get back to you!
If you can spare a small piece of the fabric (a swatch at least 3"x3") I would do a test run in a bowl. It shouldn't fade it, I wash my laundry (darks too) w/ borax and vinegar and they are fine. If it's a dark color I would hang it to dry inside, after a good rinse. If it's a light color or white, it would be ok to hang outside for a couple hours w/out worrying about fading.
Then if it works, go for it! If the odor is still hanging around, let me know. You also could try Mrs. Meyer's laundry soap (if it's available in your area). Good luck!

~Belinda~:>
just a farmgirl in the desert
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help with cigarette smoke Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page