Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How to Sell on Ebay seminar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to Sell on Ebay seminar Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  09:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I went to something last week entitled that. It was free - full page ad in local paper. And no, I didn't learn how to sell on ebay. I did learn, however, how to sell items I don't own. And how to cheat on ebay...At least, it sounds like cheating. The presenter told of how he lists a classic car with a bare bones description(so bidders will be forced to email him for more details) and a minimum of over $15,000(ebay prequalifies all bidders at that minimum or beyond - and he had no intention of selling the car, so it was higher than that.) Once a bidder contacts HIM, he is then free to email them. He then directs them to an off ebay website where he sells classic cars outright(he sold three from this auction and didn't sell the one he listed, so he paid nothing to ebay).
Then he told of another dealer in jewelry listing a watch on ebay for $6,000. When the watch sold, she ordered it from a wholesaler for $2,000, had it shipped by them with a sticker listing her business and so she never owned/saw the item. This is too much for me! And how can he use the name ebay in his ads and presentation? I only wanted to learn how to list some stuff already in my house...oh, well. Oh, and his hook was that he wanted us to sign up for another seminar($96.00) and let him set up a website(we pay him $30.oo monthly) and become sellers like him.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  09:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Sounds as though this man is in the business of deceit! It is too bad that money can be such a motivator for some, that they let go of sound morals!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile
Janice -- there are a alot of deceitful people on eBay and it sounds like this guy is one of them. But he can only be that way for so long and it will catch up to him. If I knew that someone was breaking the rules like that I would turn him in to eBay. I prefer to do my eBay selling the honest way.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Picture A Day Blog http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  8:29:36 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry you wasted your time and then had to sit there listening to someone justify deceit. So frustrating! There are some good legitimate books on selling on ebay, such as Ebay for Dummies, but honestly it isn't rocket science. I was a powerseller on ebay until I quit to help my husband with our home business. I made very good money with no training. But I only sold what I knew and specialized so I had a following. I mostly sold transferware, though a few other type of china and toleware. By sticking to what I knew, I could describe it well, answer email questions well and gain a following for lots of repeat sales. So if you do decide to go into ebay, my suggestion would be to sell what you know, not just everything under the sun. Best wishes!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  05:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Brenda. I just found a book in the library like the one you described. I've been an ebay buyer for a long time, so I think I can ease into selling if I just jump in and try! :) The guy in the seminar just kept insisting "It's all legal. It all goes according to ebay rules", etc...

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Gee whiz. It never ceases to amaze me how people can take something good and turn it into something underhanded and deceitful. Kay is right- it will catch up to him. If he has print ads out there, you can bet that someone from ebay will see it and shut him down. His insistance on the legality of what he is doing just makes me think that perhaps "he doth protest too much!" As my kids say- it will come back and bite him in the bum.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Interesting to hear about this -- I've heard radio ads for such 'businesses' that sell on ebay 'without having to store, ship or even own' -- always wondered how that would be possible???

Ebay is simple to do on your own -- the key is to get good feedback right away, so start selling small stuff at very reasonable prices to get your feet wet and build your feedback.

Thanks for telling us your experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to Sell on Ebay seminar Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page