knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Well, here it is almost 1:30 A.M. and I can't sleep. I guess if I was smart I would try to do something productive when these nights hit, but I don't, I just ramble around, sit at the computer or toss and turn in the bed. I was just wondering what do the rest of you on here do on these nights when the eyelids refuse to get heavy? I've tried drinking the milk, but to no avail.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  12:38:57 AM  Show Profile
I hope you are back asleep by now. It is 12:30 here and I just wander too, sit at the computer, listen to some music and then try again. Yawn , scratch, stretch and back to bed. Good night. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 17 2007 12:39:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  01:15:49 AM  Show Profile
I like to read, but it usually doesn't help me sleep.
Watch a movie, snack, crochet or sew...

I'm a night-owl, though...I have a hard time going to sleep before midnight... but it's usually even later than that. (It's 1:15am right now)

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  03:58:09 AM  Show Profile
YAWN!!! I hope some of our farm friends will post some good ideas on sleeping better because for the last week since we've been back in France I have been tossing and turning, like in the old song. In fact the last time I got so little sleep was 27 years ago when I was breastfeeding my first baby! Yikes! Nance
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  04:12:11 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I hope Mr. Sandman finally came to see you. I remember a while back that there was a thread here chocked full of sleeping advice. It was a great resource for information. Let me see if I can find it. Well, actually, I don't know how to post a link within the Forum. But, try a search. There's some great info. I know, let me see if I can find it and I'll post a comment to revive the topic.....

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  04:59:28 AM  Show Profile
I don't usually have trouble sleeping, but when I do, I learned to enjoy the time! With 6 kiddos, there was/is never alot of quiet time. So if I can't sleep, I get up, get a good book, and read to my heart's content in the quiet. Before I know it, I've fallen asleep on the couch and it is morning. I did go through a time when I didn't sleep at night, and for a long time felt guilty about not being in bed beside dh...but he totally understands my not wanting to wake him. What he doesn't understand is not sleeping...he can sleep anywhere, frequently!!!
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  05:08:11 AM  Show Profile
I think it is too early...I didn't finish my post. I know there are alot of studies, alot of meds., etc. about/for insomnia. I guess it can be a real problem, and I didn't mean to make light of that. I found myself in a cycle, though. I'd worry about no falling asleep, so I wouldn't fall asleep, then I'd worry again...I finally just told myself that if I accepted this quirk in my system and worked with it for awhile, the quirk might go away. And the sleepless period I did have did go away after time. I think our bodies change, just like the seasons change. I also think, in this day and age, drug companies like to invent alot of disorders so we will buy their medicines.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  05:55:45 AM  Show Profile
GET COLD. YEA, COLD, stand outside a few minutes, or kick the covers off and lay there as long as you can stand it, then when you cover up again its feels go good you go to sleep. Works for me a lot of the time.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  06:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Some times I just wake up in the middle of the night for no reason. Valerie, I do remember when the kids were little I used to stay awake way late into the night because it was the only time for ME . I loved it then. Now I do what I said in my other post and it's nighty-nighty time again. Now it is up time. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 17 2007 06:57:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  3:58:46 PM  Show Profile
I like to drink a sleepytime tea, seems to help much!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  4:17:52 PM  Show Profile
3 mg. of melatonin usually works for me

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
I can relate..I have always had a real hard time sleeping. I usually don't even try to go to sleep until after midnight..I get more done at night than any other time. (everyone else is sleeping) I wish I had an answer for ya...I struggle with this all the time.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  8:11:58 PM  Show Profile
I usually read . . . something heavy not light reading, which puts me to sleep fast! But there are those times when I am stressed abou the upcoming day (say the day before my antique show . . . ) and my mind is racing trying to see if I remembered everything. Usually I just get up and make lists, to try to calm myself by feeling like I have gained some control. And of course praying for peace and calm helps immensely. But, there really are days when sleep just doesn't come, but I usually sleep fine by the next night and seem to move on fine. Pleasant dreams tonight!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  9:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I hope you're able to sleep tonight!

As you can see by the time of this post 12:20, I'm still wide awake...I have a lot of trouble sleeping, more often than I'd like to admit, really. Usually stress related, the only thing that really works for me is Theraflu sinus nightime (lemon flavor). I am forever stuffed up at night, so it's a win/win. I can breathe, and I can sleep, and the warm lemon drink is pretty soothing. My husband had initially suggested one of those nightime pills (sominex?) but it was very strong and made me feel loopy, so I nixed that quick.

I do read, but nothing that with "projects" or "ideas". I love gardening books, home books, etc.. but once my mind gets racing you can forget about me sleeping. It's like a running checklist in my head and before I know it, the alarm is going off and I've just gotten to sleep at 5:00 am. I do however read cookbooks, and for some reason it's very comforting.

Cookbooks and Theraflu. A tried and true combination!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  9:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm up tonight. I used to have far worse sleeping problems than I do now. Try some Sleepytime tea with a few rose petals or rose bud in it. Really helps me...usually konk out in minutes after drinking that, but unfortunately I wake up early needing to go pretty badly. I am very sleepy right now. So will hit the sack in a few minutes. When I'm up, I usually try to do something productive, but usually just end up getting cold as Nancy says and waiting for my electric blanket to heat up my bed, then slide in.....ahhhhh.......zzzzzzzz

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathy

I feel your pain girl! I also have had problems sleeping. I have taken sleeping pills but dont like to do that. I usually take generic benedryl to sleep at night. I know that isnt an herbal or natural rememdy but it works well for me. I might try some of the herbal suggestions myself though.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi, all of you nightowl farmgirls! I'm up with ya' tonight, too - but my reasons differ a little: teething baby, only time I have been able to grab some solitude today (or is it tomorrow?!?!?!) Anyhoo - it's 12:11am on the 18th where I am - Good morning!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can't sleep Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page