Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  05:40:40 AM  Show Profile
We received the left overs of the midwest icestorm! Hope everyone out there is doing well! We never lost power have a pretty good coating of ice, but it is 33 degrees already this morning so it is raining now. So it will probably be just a wet yucky mess in an hour or so!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  06:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie- I'm glad it is not as bad as it could have been. I'll take a muddy mess over ice anyday! I hope all of our mid-west farmgirls are OK after all of this bad weather. Stay warm!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile
We had a beautiful sunrise this morning, the sun was backlighting all the ice on the trees. Still cold, 12'. Luckily we didn't lose our power but there were alot of rollovers on the highways, I don't think anyone was killed, thankfully.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  08:24:12 AM  Show Profile
The ice is still coming down here-it's still below freezing. We still have power, although the lights have flickered a few times. I've heard a couple trees come down with a crash out in the woods. We'll probably be able to use them for firewood.....

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile
We have rain and more rain here in southern Kentucky. You can keep the ice but I would sure love to see some snow. I love a rainy day as much as any one but I would really like to trade some of these consecutive ones for a little sunshine or snow. Please let it snow.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Bonnie. It's afternoon now and the ice shows no signs of melting here in the city. It's still raining steadily and the ice is getting thicker on the trees every minute. I hope we won't lose power tonight! And I'm really glad my work is closed for MLK day. Except for helping my husband scrape off the car and put out the pump to drain the yard this morning, I haven't had to leave the house all day. How's it look out in Caledonia?
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:59:09 AM  Show Profile
The ice never melted, and it looks like it getting colder out. I didn't have to go anywhere today either. I went outside this morning to take pictures. No power outages yest, but I see some tree limbs down. I think it's getting thicker out there too!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  11:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Amie and Bonnie, ironically seeing the ice here reminds me of my last ice storm which was in March of 1991 just west of Rochester. People here in the desert of Texas aren't used to seeing it but I'm loving it, reminds me of home-without the five days of no power.
Stay warm, everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  11:42:15 AM  Show Profile
You must be from western NY, Destiny! I remember that storm too, it was my freshman yr of college and my mom came upstairs telling me I better move my car...I kept telling her I had to leave in a while, why bother? (the car was parked under a tree) Boy I had never seen anything like that before!

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  3:36:42 PM  Show Profile
We never did get any ice here. It went north and south of us. We just got hours and hours of rain and everything is wet to the bone. My yard is like a swamp. But I noticed when I got out of the car just a few minutes ago, that it felt like sleet was falling. I sure hope not. I do not like ice at all. I know the temp is dropping so it is likely we will get some but so far we are in the clear.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  07:40:34 AM  Show Profile
I remember the 1991 ice storm. I was in high school. It was especially scary because it happened overnight. If you haven't been through an ice storm, imagine living in a house surrounded by huge mature trees and hearing them crashing down just feet away from the house in total darkness. I saw the tree in the back yard lose one trunk just as it started to get light. It looked like a wall of ice and branches heading for my window. I'm so glad yesterday's ice storm was just a sprinkle. It looks really pretty this morning, with a fresh dusting of snow and the bright sun out.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, yes we were living in Brockport at the time.
Amie, you're right. I remember waking up during the night and hearing the noises. I thought it was just raining hard. I woke up around 5 A.M. and tried to turn on the bedroom lamp, the power was out. Then I got out of bed only to stand in about six inches of ice water, we had a basement apartment. I immediately jumped back onto the bed afraid that I was going to get electrocuted but then I remembered the power was out. I had to walk through the entire apartment, in the ice water, in the dark to get to the stairway. We were without power for about 5 days.
What we had recently was just nice to look at while all safe and snug in my home.

Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  3:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Well, we are in the melting stages now after the ice storm. It is crazy what a few degress can do. I think we topped out at 38 degrees, but the ice was dripping away.

Now that the storm is over, it is awesome to look at the after effects. The ice is beautiful sitting atop of everything. When the sun shines on it, everyting glistens. Unfortunately, those still without power are probably not seeing the beauty in it yet.

We lost power, water, cell phone, etc., but it didn't last more than 24 hours for us. Those in the more rural areas and just 20 miles north of us had it much worse. They are still scrambling for generators and without power. Yuck!

Supposedly, we are getting a few flakes of snow this weekend. They are saying 1-3 inches, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  3:13:20 PM  Show Profile
We had an ice storm here back in 94. Try milking 360 cows without power. YIKES!!!! Ya'll can keep the ice and snow. Sorry but this little gal rather have it warm and sunny. I just hope all of you who are in this stuff is safe and sound not say , WARM also. It's been cold here staying in the low 30's. Where, oh, where is the warm weather?? If any of you should find it please tell it it's suppose to be here in Mississipp.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  04:02:21 AM  Show Profile
our ice is now buried under about 6 inches of snow!

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic We have ice! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page