daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  11:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Please send thoughts for rain our way as there are terrible bushfires at home at the moment. They are looking to be the worst since 1939. This weekend will be the crisis point as it is going to be very hot, windy weather. They are even looking at bringing water bomber crews from U.S. and Canada.
All the best,
Jayne

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  11:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Jayne- Consider it done! That must be so scary, I will think of you in a protected area and send positive thoughts your way. Be safe and take good care. Dear God, please let it rain on Australia tonight.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about the fires,Jayne.
Good thoughts and hoping they stay away from houses and people.
THINK RAIN!!!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile
Jayne,

Thanks for writing about this. My friend, Ann, has been talking about the drought and heat and water shortage for a long, long time. (She's in Bendigo.) I didn't know about the big fires that are burning right now. I did some searches on the Web and read about the smoke plume over Shepparton (where Ann once lived). I've been trying to find more information. What a terrible situation. Although I did hear about koalas that had survived a big fire. (Something good in a bad situation.)

I will definitely send good thoughts and prayers to your part of the world.

Karin
P.S. Linnea has a letter and Christmas card waiting to send to Emily. She's trying to get together some photos to send for her. Sorry she hasn't been a very good correspondent. Hopefully she'll get better in the future.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Jayne! I saw this on the news! Over half a million acres have already burned!! Is that right?!?!?

How horrible, I will definately pray for rain!!

Love and light to you
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  10:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
The weekend wasn't as bad as they expected - they were thinking all the fire fronts would join up to make one massive fire. Luckily the weather turned today (it is cooler and the wind has changed). But they still say the fires will burn for weeks and the danger is defintely not over. Forecasts are for really hot weather in two days. 250,000 hectares of bush burnt so far, but no houses and thank goodness, no lives lost. The smoke is covering the city of Melbourne and all surrounding areas - my mum says it is really eerie. My brother lives in one of the towns that is currently most at risk, so my mum is freaking out a bit at the moment. He lives in town though, not on a farm, so will be fine - just may be cut off for a while if they close roads.
Thanks Karin, for letting me know about the letter. My girls finished school today so are making cards now. Will send it soon.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  12:03:05 PM  Show Profile
rain prayers sent your way! I saw it on tv, so scary. Be safe.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:28:09 PM  Show Profile
The bushfires are still burning. Six houses were lost yesterday. I don't know whether you hear about them over there, but there are now crews from US and Canada here, as well as the New Zealand crew. So big thanks to all the firefighters. Yesterday, a third of Melbourne lost it's power as the fire burnt through the main power line. It seems incredible that fires can burn for so long - it has been over four weeks now. But they are slowing down.
Hoping for big rains soon,
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Jayne I thought of you last night when the news did a piece about how long and how bad the fires have been burning. They mentioned that resources and woman/manpower is just being worn out. I'm glad to see that we and others are stepping in to help. Wish they got there sooner. Hope you and yours stay out of harms way. How is all this smoke affecting the air quality and breathing situations for all of you? Stay safe, we still praying for you and Australia.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile
I saw the fires again on our local news. Sure hope the rains come soon. It looks devastating. The weather world-wide has gone bonkers. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  4:39:40 PM  Show Profile
the news said firemen from different countries were coming to help. I pray thet get there soon.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Bad bushfires Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page