Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Vibes, Please? Think We Found It!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Vibes, Please? Think We Found It! Next Topic
Page: of 2

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  7:51:45 PM  Show Profile
I found a listing this week for a farmhouse on two and some odd acres. The price was good, and when I looked on a map and on Google Earth, the location and land looked good...I was on the phone with a realtor in five minutes. We drove past it that day and had a showing the next. Today my husband went back with a contractor.

It's actually on three acres of land! There's a timbered outbuilding on a concrete and cinderblock foundation that needs to be rebuilt, but would hold my future cow and chickens. Two car garage, pantry, upstairs laundry. Woods, a tiny brook, but enough clear land for my orchard and CSA veggies. It's surrounded by a Christmas tree farm.

The hitch?. There's a three foot kneewall on the front and back of the upstairs (where all three bedrooms are), and it's all sloped ceiling after that. My six foot hubby HATES that part. I still think it's dealable, except that the stairs run right into the sloped ceiling...you pretty much have to be a smurf or climb off sideways. Also, the wing on the back of it needs a new roof.

BUT: the upstairs of the back wing (runs at a right angle to the original cottage on the front) is unfinished on the back third and upstairs. We can finish that into a master bedroom and an alternate staircase/upstairs hallway, and break through into the original upstairs, solving the whole problem. But that costs moola, y'know?

Dh doesn't want to do it unless we know we can get a renovation loan. And our mortgage guy is out of town until Monday.

I'm so afraid someone else will beat us to an offer.

Could you farmgirls pray/vibe/light candles/whatever in hopes that this works out? I cannot stand another disappointment when we already see so few properties we can afford that aren't trailers.

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  7:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Sorry...I should say the back third of the downstairs and all of the upstairs is unfinished in that back part...tired me.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  8:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm sending you good luck vibes...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  04:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Hope it all works out! Prayers for you!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  04:49:40 AM  Show Profile
You bet!! I hope it works out for you! How exciting!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4184 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4184 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  05:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, and don't worry about everything not being so perfect. You can work on it as you go. Best wishes Michele
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  06:18:50 AM  Show Profile
IF you really love it, it can be fixed, maybe not right away but over time, and believe me, time goes fast!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  07:27:25 AM  Show Profile
I am sending prayers from pa to heaven for ya

beckesl
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:38:20 AM  Show Profile
How exciting! Sending great "vibes" and luck to you - and like Michele said, don't worry - you can fix it as you go. Fun!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:45:48 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, We have those kind of walls upstairs too, and Rob is 6'2". We are planning on some dormers to sort of heighten the slope if only a little. You can arrange it too, that your bed is not by the slope, I bet. Good luck!! It sounds realyl great!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile
We're writing an offer first thing tomorrow...please, keep your fingers crossed that all goes well and no one beats us to it!

(I'm trying really hard not to get too excited...)
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  2:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Good luck with your offer, and I think you're past too excited already. Remember, things work out the way they do for a reason.
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Best wishes! it sounds like something you could do, maybe the remodeling and adding on, as you get additional money. Let us know what happens!!!!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  12:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Well, we submitted the offer, and got a call within the hour. He agreed to all our terms, but wanted to tweak the price a bit in exchange. That's probably doable.

He also wants me to drop the ag. variance contingency. He and his fiance (both have kids) are buying a bigger house together, and they already have an offer on it, contingent on the sale of this one. They're not willing to take this house off the market for the 30-40 days it could take to get an answer about the variance, b/c it might cause their purchase to fall through.

I called the codes officer, but his cell went straight to voicemail (MLK Day). I left him a voicemail asking if he could tell me when the next zoning committee meeting is, or give me the name and number of a zoning committee member, so I can see if there's any way to fast track this.

What I'm asking really shouldn't be a big deal. The property is three acres. Here, that's considered a hobby farm. Cow fine, chickens fine, but only for personal use. To sell any produce, I'd have to be considered small ag., and that's a 5 acre minimum. I think that's because the house is in an area of low density residential. BUT, my neighbor on at least two sides is a Christmas tree farmer, so it's not like I'm surrounded by McMansions with play yards.

Has anyone got any experience with this? What information will a zoning officer want in addition to the zoning and building permit application? What should I be prepared to tell them? I'm going to post a new thread as well, since I can't change the title of this one to get people's attention who might know.

Thanks, farmgirls. You are my experts, and I really need your help.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  1:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, my hopes, prayers and many good thoughts sent your way.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  02:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, your little slice of heaven on earth sounds wonderful! Fingers crossed... Can't wait til all is finalized; keep us informed! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  06:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
How exciting, Sarah. It sounds like everything is going in a positive direction! I'll keep good thoughts for you, too!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  07:40:41 AM  Show Profile
x-post again, sorry.

I think I may have figured this out.

I called the Cooperative Extension today, and they passed me up to the Ag. Protection board in Albany. They said the same thing Jim (farmer's market organizer guy) said...that they don't think I can be prohibited from selling off-site, like at a farmer's market. They basically said if I was growing it in my high-density residential backyard no one could stop me from selling off-site, so why should it matter whether the land's 3 or 5 acres?

Well, I went back and re-read the town's wording. Here it is (bolding mine):

HOBBY FARM - A collection of animals maintained on residential property for non-commercial
purposes as a hobby or pastime.

AGRICULTURAL OPERATION - The raising for compensation of crops, animals, dairy, and
horses, and agricultural or dairy products. The term includes plant, crop and tree growing and
harvesting, horticulture, forestry and the sale at wholesale or retail of the products thereof upon the
premises where the same are grown or produced.

I read that to mean that, as long as I'm selling off-site, there's no problem.

I think this is all b/c I told him I'd be interested in selling excess chicken eggs in the event that I had any. I think if I blow that off completely, promise to seek a variance if I ever need one to sell chicken eggs, this whole thing will go away.

If he hasn't called me by noon, I'm calling him.
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:41:44 PM  Show Profile
I hope you get this all figured out so you can buy the property.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:00:28 PM  Show Profile
We're under contract!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Sarah! I'm real happy for you and can't wait to hear about your farming adventures!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  12:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Sarah!!

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  1:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Now the next thing to do is meet the tree farmer and find out what his plans are for the property in the event of his retirement. You don't want to wake up one day and find yourself looking down on a sea of McRooftops. Is he going to get the land rezoned to sell to developers, or is he interested in putting the land in whatever New York State calls its conservation easement program, in exchange for tax credits? Has he already done that? Does he have excess credit you can purchase, to cash in on the enviornmentally friendly vibes?

Your house sounds pretty cool, actually. Since you have roofing in mind anyway, maybe you could make raising the roof on half the house part of the project, to give you more of a ceiling, or put in a big skylight at the top of the stairs for the same effect.

It's so exciting, isn't it? I wish you all the very best luck in the world.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  2:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited for you! How awesome is all this for you. I cant wait to see pictures and here all the updates.

Lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Sarah! We made a shed dormer across part of our upstairs when re-roofing. Lots more room (my sewing room). This could work out so well for you!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile
We didn't take any exterior pictures, but here's the one the realtor took:

Wish I could show you some of the land. I like to look at it on Google Earth, but I'm a cheeseball.

Here's the pantry:

The inspection went well. A honey-do list, but not any one big thing, except that part of the roof needs to be replaced, which we knew. The seller is paying for it. We're having a pest inspection done later this week.

I need to figure out our outbuilding when we get in there. It's timbered, and it has had electricity run to it in the past. The roof needs replaced, and there's rot and powder beetle damage in some of the wood (don't know how much). But, there's a cement/cinderblock foundation that's intact, windows, nesting boxes,etc.. I think it could hold a mini-Jersey in half and my chickens in the other half. But first I have to measure, b/c it has to be 100 ft. from the road to have them in there, and I suspect it's not. Lots to think about!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Vibes, Please? Think We Found It! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page