nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3072 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  12:06:00 PM  Show Profile
I love the tops that have crochet parts to them - sleeves, collars, sometimes part of the back, etc. But, I don't love the prices! I think I'm good enough at crocheting that I would like to try and make my own, but I have no idea how to start crocheting onto fabric. Does anyone know a good guide for how to do this?
Here's an example of a top I'm talking about:

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  2:02:47 PM  Show Profile
To do this type of work a person does not have to crochet them onto the fabric. What a person can do is crochet the piece first and sew it onto the garment. Look up a technique called Irish Crochet.

This is a good site for basic and advanced instruction.

https://crochetthread.wordpress.com/irish-crochet/

To make a large piece, decide on the area to be covered with the crochet and cut out a piece of paper to match the size and shape of the placement. Make the chosen individual motifs and attach them to the paper in the position desired. Next, connect the motifs by crocheting a net to attach and fill in the spaces.

If you want to make something small such as a collar or a cuff, find an edging pattern you like and make it as long and wide as will fit the area. It is rare to be able to crochet it right on the garment. It is best to sew it on when the piece is finished.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  6:50:50 PM  Show Profile
That is a great site, Marie. Thanks, Marie! I've been doing a self-study on different laces for a couple of years. I thought I could never do Irish lace. Now, that I see how it is planned and put together it makes sense.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3072 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3072 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Marie,
I feel a little silly now that I never thought to make something then sew it on! Seems kind of obvious now that you mention it :) Thanks for the website. I didn't have time to read it all through, but I bookmarked it to come back to it. Irish lace is beautiful, but I think I might try something a little simpler (and quicker) to start with. Maybe just add some simple patterned sleeves to a t-shirt or something. Thanks so much!

Judith,
I'd love to see some of your lace if you have any pictures.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I am glad I could help. I love crochet.

Irish crochet has a history of exploitation. Women in Ireland made these fancy laces before the middle of the 18th century. It was promoted as an industry for children in Dublin workhouses. These were places the poor were housed when their family debt exceeded their means to pay. They were sent there and worked as day laborers or in small industry until the debt was paid off. The skill spread outside Dublin to poor parts of Ireland and performed by young women to help support their families. It is sad to say that the women who made these beautiful laces. Only the very rich were able to afford them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_lace

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  10:08:02 AM  Show Profile
Heather, don't feel silly, I thought the same thing! This looks like fun and I would love to be able to crochet something like that someday! Hope your shirt turns out super cute!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic crochet question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page