Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  1:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if this is the place to post this but do any of you have trouble staying warm?
I have never had this trouble before. Now, of course, I have never lived in an almost 90 year old home before that the wind whistles through the cracks and blows the curtains either. Maybe that is my trouble.
I stay in front of a heater all day and even thought I am fully dressed, I still wear my full length robe over my clothes.
Also, at night. I have on a long sleeve gown, a sweater and a feather comforter but my arms and only my arms are really cold, so much that it is hard to sleep.
My children don't seem to mind and neither does my husband. It is just me. Just wondered if any of you girls out there were chilly too?
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Lindy, cold hands, warm heart. Does that help?:) Guess not.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Yes, yes, yes! I get so darn cold sometimes - and sometimes it lasts until spring! I have found a hot water bottle to be indispensible for wintertime. I use it on my lap when I'm at the computer, next to me on the sofa, in bed by my feet or stomach - I LOVE the thing! My husband and boys don't seem cold - and they'll deny it even if they are! My curtains move when the wind blows, too - it's a weird feeling, isn't it? I've though of insulating curtains, but they just make everything so dark...ANYWAY - my vote is for a hot bubble bath when you just CANNOT get warm any other way, and a cup of tea (or other hot beverage of your choice), a hot water bottle and a chat with a friend any other time! Good luck getting warm! Sending toasty wishes...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I do have something kind of helpful that I thought of after I hit "submit." Do you smoke? Smoking has been proven to make folks colder than usual. Other than that, gosh, I don't know....

James Taylor

Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I will try that hot water bottle trick, Libbie.
Nope, I don't smoke.
I like the cold hands warm heart too Rebekah. It did warm me, a little...... ;)

Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:18:28 PM  Show Profile
I tend to run on the cold side also. No one here seems to mind it but me, so these are the things I do that help:

I wear 2 layers of socks and fuzzy slippers. Dress your feet like you would for a winter day. The key is layers.

We always plastic the windows inside AND outside. I live in an old farm house and its very drafty. The plastic seems spendy at first, but saving on our heat bills makes up for it.

I stoke the stove - a lot. It's warm down there in front of it.

We have the dryer vented into the house. It's 9º outside. I have never been so happy to run a load of laundry in my life.

Hot baths, daily if need be. When I am cold right down to my bones only a thorough soaking will warm me up.

And electric mattress pads are a chilly girls best friend in the world. :)

Babs
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:37:30 PM  Show Profile
I think my hands have been cold for a month! I am here wearing a hoodie in the house and usually I am too hot (old house here too!) As long as my feet stay warm the rest of me seems okay ( I DO sleep in long gown and socks and sometimes pajama bottoms or sweats also) but boy..getting my hands warm is a chore! stitching and keeping them moving alot helps some...and wrapping them around a cup of hot chamomile tea helps too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:47:12 PM  Show Profile
When I get cold like that, I hop in the tub as well! Hot chocolate is always a must for cold nights and cozy socks on my feet. It is rare that I get cold like that though. Usually I am sweating, so I am grateful for one of those cold spells. :) I hope that you get warm soon. If not, come to Georgia! It's warm here!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  7:14:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't think anyone mentioned this, forgive me if I missed it... but wearing a hat or head covering of some kind will help your body retain heat. We lose a huge percentage of heat right out the top of our noggins. Just think how cute you would look in a frilly nightcap.
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  7:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Since we've had an unusually cold Fall/Winter, we've gotten an electric blanket to go with our water bed. Some nights I'm so cold, I snitch my son's touque(sp?) (knit cap) and I sleep like a baby. Also when I get really chilled, the only way to warm up is in a REALLY hot bath. I'm thinking of fashioning some sort of night cap, and not alcoholic sillies, to wear on cold nights. Does anyone else do this?? Wishing you all a warm and cozy night! Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  7:39:47 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in a house that was like that - no insulation in the sides of the house, just in the attic and underneath. Boy was it freezing cold in the winter.

Here is what we used to do:
1. wear layers, like you are doing. Make sure if your socks get damp to change them. Change them often. Wearing slippers or something on your feet, besides socks, will help. Sometimes something as simple as a knit hat on your head will make all the difference. Even if you have to wear it in the house.

2. Drink hot drinks constantly and if possible, keep a hot pot of soup on the wood stove or in a crock pot. We did this on weekends or days when we were home all day - that way, you could eat a cup full when you got hungry. Your body may be burning up the energy trying to keep warm and leaving you tired and cold when the energy is depleted. Eats lots of little meals, instead of three big ones.

3. Electric blankets are your friends! But make sure your electric blankets are not frayed and that you are drinking lots of fluids to replace the water you will be losing by using the electric blanket. Also, don't use the electric blankets for a long period of time as you don't want to rely too much on the blanket because your body won't be working for itself. (Does that make sense?)

4. Snuggle with a cat or dog friend. Better yet, a whole bunch of furry friends.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lindy,

My husband is always hot, he runs around in his underwear and I'm always cold. I have a secret weapon, Polar fleece. I have socks and pj's made of them and I am always warm now. I do take a warm bath every night. My sister in law was always cold, we looked in Texas where she lives and colud't find any. Tell me your shoe size and I will send you a pair. I literally have a bunch of them because I give them to all of my friends.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  06:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Lindy, I was flipping through my "Natural Health" magazine last night and came upon an article. "How do I warm icy hands?" One recommendation there is to take the herb hawthorn as a daily supplement. 600 milligrams. This helps to improve your circulation. Another circulation inhancer listed is gingko biloba. One tip in the article that you already heard about from some FarmGirl sisters is to wear a tightly knit woolen hat that covers your ears. Also stay well-hydrated and well-nourished. The article says to include a mix of fat and protein, like raisins and peanuts. Also, avoid caffeine. That's it in a nutshell. Stay warm.

James Taylor

Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  08:00:39 AM  Show Profile
I am surprized that no one has mentioned low iron blood levels. We women can be easily prone to being low in iron and this can cause general tiredness, and feeling cold. It is a cheap and easy test at the doctors and may give you info on your body that you did not otherwise know.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  09:45:23 AM  Show Profile
eating hot peppers helps too. LOL

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile
I can totally relate. I get cold all the time too. My favorite "vice" is wool socks. I can't stand them directly on my feet, so I put cotton socks on first and then the wool. Nothing better. My second vice is down. I love down filled comforters, throws, etc. And this year I bought a down filled jacket. Now I know why ducks stay warm in the winter! And of course tea is always a welcome find. My mother-in-law switched to a different size bed and just gave us her heated mattress pad. I love it and it doesn't use hardly any energy, so I can do it without guilt! Quilts that are all cotton are also nice and warm. Polyester filled ones are just decorative, but no real warmth. Also, check out outdoor stores such as Big R for wool blankets. Again, I can't stand the wool against me, but if I have a sheet between, it is wonderful. And yes, I agree, low iron does affect your feeling cold. I take an iron supplement each day and it seems to help. Sending WARM wishes your way!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  11:35:23 AM  Show Profile
I don't get cold very often but when I do I cant seem to get warm. I have two things I do that seem to help.

1. Take a nice hot bath or shower.
2. Change my socks. Sometimes socks even though they dont "feel" sweaty can hold moisture and make you feel cold. Fresh socks often seem to do the trick.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

idgie
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Decatur GA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Send idgie an AOL message
I am also always cold, but this winter it seems to be a bit better as a result of some dietary changes I've made. I've been following a diet in a book called The Infertility Cure - it's sort of an Eastern or Chinese medical approach to infertility. This might sound weird, but part of my "profile" in this book involved being cold all the time and it was attributed to blood stasis and "kidney yang" deficiency. I have no idea about all that, but cutting out caffeine, sugar and white flour has me feeling better, and more active (which seems to translate into warmth), than I have in years. Still waiting for the fertility part, but hopefully that'll come in time :)
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  9:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Lindy,

Katie was right to mention the low blood iron (anemia) or possibly your thyroid (hyperthyroidism). I would go to your dr. just to have them checked. Just to be sure. I don't know your age, but I have read that going into menopause can cause you to get cold too. I think that has to do with your thyroid as well. Never hurts to do any of the other things mentioned here as well. Yum hot chocolate & a warm bath.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  04:56:45 AM  Show Profile
I also do many of the things here; layers, hot baths, hot drinks, an electric mattress pad and lots of down. But when I'm cold during the day, one of the easiest ways to warm up is (get this) to dress up thoroughly and head outside and do some chores. I find it interesting how I can be so chilled after dinner, but once I put on my wool lined Columbia boots, my down coat, polarfleece bavaclava, gloves, and ear warmers, and my baby alpaca hat, I can head outside in some really COLD weather and be just fine; and when I come back in, I'm quite comfortable. I think the difference is I'm just not that active in the house.

If you don't have animals to chore after, try running the vacuum or mopping the floor. Both take a fair amount of work to accomplish, so they can warm you up, too. Or run in place, or do some big arm swings and deep breathing. If you can be alone, put on some music and dance your heart out!

And if your house isn't insulated, you might consider that. It helps a lot. But that said, our post Civil War house still has trouble on very windy days; there are warm rooms, and then there are rooms that are noticeably cooler. It's nice to have small comforters or throws in all your reading nooks.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4204 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4204 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  05:10:27 AM  Show Profile
We live in an old house also. My husband always says we don't have to worry about co2 in our house, and you too. I have a polar fleece sock pattern, simple to make. My cure, is put another log on the fire! :) Hope you get warm. Michele
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile
OK, now I really feel guilty. My house is usually so hot from the "woodburner" that I usually have the door cracked open to let some of the heat out. I have noticed that different types of heat (electric or gas) will make my face turn hot red. Not sure why this happens but I guess that I'm just used to wood heat. When I do get cold from not having a fire in the woodburner, a cup of hot tea does the trick.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  06:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Lindy,
Are you warm yet?? insulated hunting socks?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  12:33:56 PM  Show Profile
You girls sure are sweet.
I have copied and pasted all of your great answers into a file and thn I printed them out.
I am already warmer knowing that you all took the time to write all of your thoughts down about this.

Thankfully, it has been in the 70's for the last few days here in NC. Also, we are going over to TN on Tuesday to visit my folks. I will be in a much less drafty place so I should stay good and toasty!

Thanks again girls. It means a lot!
Love to you all.
Lindy

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  12:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Lindy, your not alone!! I too live in a old house and I'm always cold, when I just can't get warm, I put a heating pad on my lap under my throw and I warm up quick, sure you don't want to get up for anything but it works!! I miss the old woodstove to sit by! Keep warm and think spring!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Wait until you hit menopause! Then you will be warm all the time! I've started having "warm flashes", not hot and sweaty, but just toasty. Most of the time, I am throwing the covers off at night!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can't get warm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page