Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  01:12:05 AM  Show Profile
What is the postal procedure for sending something to Jayne in Australia or Nance in France? Is there a major police inspection, thousands of dollars in postage and a promise to give up your first born?? Or is it just a matter of a few extra stamps?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  01:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Depends on what you're sending. I would send by air and the only other thing you'd need a declarations slip to attach to the package. They have those at the po.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Picture A Day Blog http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  05:15:05 AM  Show Profile
This subject line tickled me!! When our younger daughter was being potty-trained (oh, about 23 years ago) she would sit on her little potty, and when she was done, she'd just yell at the top of her lungs, "SOMEBODY, SOMEBODY come wipe my butt!"

So, although this is waaaayy off the subject, the subject line hooked me in! Memories of long, long ago! Hee, hee, hee!!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  05:38:03 AM  Show Profile
That's funny, KT...

The only thing I have to add is when I was living in England, my friends and family shipped care packages to me often, or little gifts here and there....on your declaration slip, don't include "letter" or "card" because they charge you extra for that, too! The postman enlightened my mother one day on this--the cost went up another 2 bucks or something outrageous whenever she put "correspondence, small gift"

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  05:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and on topic, I just sent Jayne a package around Christmas and it wasn't a big deal. The man at the post office asked what was in the package, I said some tea towels and yarn, he rolled his eyes (girlie stuff), told me how much to pay and that was that!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  06:07:52 AM  Show Profile
I guess what I want to know, is can I put a couple stamps on a card and drop it in the mail or does it have to have special attention?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  06:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I have Girlie Pen Pals in UK,Europe, etc, and at Christmas I just used Airmail Stamps on their cards and they got them.....ask P.O.

margie

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  06:47:03 AM  Show Profile
If you don't have airmail stamps, you can put regular stamps on your envelope totaling $0.84 (for a regular letter, less than one ounce). Be sure to write "AIR MAIL" on the front of the letter too. We sent a bunch of Christmas cards to overseas family this way and they all got them.

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  07:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I think what you want to know is that yes, if it is just a card or letter, stick an airmail stamp on it and off it goes. You'll need to weigh it if there is more than just a page or two.
If you are sending anything other than paper correspondence in an envelope, you have to go to the post office, get the correct weight, attach a customs (declaration) sheet listing exactly what it is you are sending, and decide how quickly you want it to arrive.

If I remember correctly from my days at the UPS Store, each country has restrictions on what can be mailed/shipped. I believe you cannot send queen bees (the buzzing kind) to England, nor do they allow tea to be mailed. Check with your postman/UPS Store. If your package is checked at customs, and has the restricted items inside, the package will be confiscated. Your friends will not receive the goodies and you will be out the cost of materials and shipping. If there are taxes or customs fees involved, the receiver is responsible for payment.

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  07:56:31 AM  Show Profile
If you are sending a card just have it weighed at the PO. I have found it usually takes about 84 cents postage to send to Australia or Europe.

If you mail a package be sure to check GIFT on the claims form or else they could be subject to tariffs when they pick up the package.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  08:30:41 AM  Show Profile
After sending many boxes overseas, mostly to Australia, I learned something with the last. On the customs form, there's a box to check if you want the parcel returned to you if it's undeliverable. I had always checked 'no', not wanting to pay postage again for it to be returned. P.O. told me it would not incur another charge to be returned. There's a small parcel rate for airmail packages, think it's 2.2#, one Kilo, but not positive. You can go online to check out all the rates and how much postage to other countries. If you use USA stamps, be sure they have the postage amount on them, not the generic ones they use until new ones are printed when the rate goes up. And, yes, always check 'gift' so they don't have to pay. I love to see the look when I've written "used clothing" on boxes to Canada....which they are, besides being designer silks and suits worth a small fortune.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic SOMEBODY!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page